Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out - help needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this and apart from so trad experience when I was younger I am pretty much a complete novice when it comes to window cleaning.

I hate my current job in retail, I'm fed up with working everyday of the week and weekends with the odd mid week day off here and there. I'm at the point where I no longer want to work tirelessly to line someone else's pocket and have always been attracted to the thought of working for myself.

Would everyone agree that the best thing to do is to start doing a bit of part time cleaning in the evenings and on days off?

I've got to be honest, despite this forum being brilliant and full of help and advice, I'm still a bit lost as to what kit I need to get started. I like the idea of a WFP set up but unsure on how to get started with it.

I'm pretty confident with the running the business side of things. I know it won't be easy and I'm not afraid to get my self out there with leaflet dropping and canvassing.

Any advice any one out there can offer me from starting up tips to what equipment would be best to help me find my feet will be greatly appreciated.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Matthew under the water fed pole section everything is covered, this question has been covered loads of times. You need to know if your buying a van and having the system installed in it, or are you using a backpack, or a trolley system, that's all the wfp options, but honestly just browse through all the sections.

Well the highly rated is the gardiners, most choose their poles. So that's a good starter, if you look at Daniel Perkins post, he has got most covered what your needing to know, it's a really helpful post

If you've done trad before, then Start that way. Canvas on evenings clean weekends to start with, then once your full that way save up, go part time in you job, and repeat. Once your making enough on the glass, then switch to wfp, quit your job and your off. That way if it doesn't work out, you have a fall back. It'll take a bit longer, but will be better for you in the long run, compared to buying the wfp gear, which isn't cheap, and it not working. £150 for trad gear, including ladders over £500 going wfp. Go for it, and good luck

Thanks Clisty, you raise a good point, perhaps the initial outlay of the WFP system can wait for a couple of months once I've got enough going on. I'll be back in touch when it comes to it because there's so much choice and it all gets a bit confusing!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Make sure you do frames and sills. Makes the future switch so much easier

What area do you live in?

If you are near me you are welcome to come and see wfp in action and see how cheap you can do it

I haven't spent much on my wfp and it works as well as an expensive setup but i can fix mine easily if anything goes wrong and know exactly how it all goes together

If you've done trad before, then Start that way. Canvas on evenings clean weekends to start with, then once your full that way save up, go part time in you job, and repeat. Once your making enough on the glass, then switch to wfp, quit your job and your off. That way if it doesn't work out, you have a fall back. It'll take a bit longer, but will be better for you in the long run, compared to buying the wfp gear, which isn't cheap, and it not working. £150 for trad gear, including ladders over £500 going wfp. Go for it, and good luck
I can set up a van mount for about 300 quid easily but after a while you would want to upgrade poles etc and that doesn't include water production but you may be able to buy it depending where you are

Trad is definitely an easier startup if you have common sense when it comes to ladders etc

Some people are better starting wfp if they have no idea of ladder safety as 1 fall can be all it takes to end your career as a windy

I did trad for 26 ish years and fell once which ended with a broken cocyx and a month off work but could have been worse

I would start trad and swap asap if i was starting again

Make sure you do frames and sills. Makes the future switch so much easier
If you swap from trad to wfp clean the whole round the last time trad with just pure water and do all frames etc

It would be hard work as no slip so straight pulls type work but first time wfp it will all be perfect with no dirty runs or soap residue etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I can set up a van mount for about 300 quid easily but after a while you would want to upgrade poles etc and that doesn't include water production but you may be able to buy it depending where you areTrad is definitely an easier startup if you have common sense when it comes to ladders etc

Some people are better starting wfp if they have no idea of ladder safety as 1 fall can be all it takes to end your career as a windy

I did trad for 26 ish years and fell once which ended with a broken cocyx and a month off work but could have been worse

I would start trad and swap asap if i was starting again

If you swap from trad to wfp clean the whole round the last time trad with just pure water and do all frames etc

It would be hard work as no slip so straight pulls type work but first time wfp it will all be perfect with no dirty runs or soap residue etc
Thanks @daveyboy really appreciate the advice and offer. I'm down in Dorset mate, anywhere near you?

Lots of south coast windies on here..maybe someone could steer you in the right direction

Back