Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White stuff on frames?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

got a couple of jobs that I've noticed some white stuff coming off the white plastic window frames?any body know what this is.
Is it turning the water milky? If so it'll be that the frames haven't been cleaned in a while.

got a couple of jobs that I've noticed some white stuff coming off the white plastic window frames?any body know what this is.
Are you sure those windows are plastic? Because its normally the old aluminium ones that have this problem. Its because the powder coating has diminished

Some older plastic windows also appear to oxidise in the sun. You will get this on south facing windows that get the sun. The first couple of times you wash them you will get them turning your cleaning water milky. Wash the windows and frames, let them dry and then just wash the window.

You may need to blade the windows off first time, but we have never had an issue after the second clean. You may even find that the frames really come up white and look really good.

Aluminum window frames painted white can be a nightmare.

Some older plastic windows also appear to oxidise in the sun. You will get this on south facing windows that get the sun. The first couple of times you wash them you will get them turning your cleaning water milky.
I remember one customer who came running around to the front after I had finished the rear of his house shouting...

"STOP! STOP! That bloody water you're using is melting my windows" ....[crazy]

He actually thought that the milky water pooling on the ground was his windows melting :bangheadwall:..........:rofl:.

I remember one customer who came running around to the front after I had finished the rear of his house shouting..."STOP! STOP! That bloody water you're using is melting my windows" ....[crazy]

He actually thought that the milky water pooling on the ground was his windows melting :bangheadwall:..........:rofl:.
That's classic!

I just scrub the top frame well so that all the oxidisation has come off and the water runs clear

Then you can clean and rinse as normal

Ha ha what did he thing you were washing his windows with, acid?
So we aren't meant to use acid on the windows then?

I had this once when a customer had used a upvc whitener that they had bought from a well known home catalogue company ( sorry didn't want to plug Worse-ware!)

Back