Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kenny Q

hi guys, I'm relatively new to wfp. I've had a bit of a problem with the odd window, but don't know what's causing it. I rinse about an inch or so off the glass with a slow to medium flow. I never allow my tds to go above 005, and haven't worked in high winds.. what else could cause spotting? Thanks.

hi guys, I'm relatively new to wfp. I've had a bit of a problem with the odd window, but don't know what's causing it. I rinse about an inch or so off the glass with a slow to medium flow. I never allow my tds to go above 005, and haven't worked in high winds.. what else could cause spotting? Thanks.
Frames scrubbed, bad seals letting dirty water run out after rinsing, not rinsing enough. You use a low/medium flow, try upping it.

If it's a window below an opener xlean the opener then get a microfiber and wipe the bottom of the frame and top of tje frame below once it has stopped drippimg and nothing should run down after it's done

Thanks chaps. It's probably a lack of experience. I do try to do the things you've advised... I'll also go on YouTube and check that it's not down to technique. Thanks

2 things

1. Your tds is over 000ppm

2. You havent rinsed well enough or allowed it stop dripping before rinsing whatever is below

Personally i always go back on forth to windows with openers, allowing it to stop dripping a bit before rinsining the lower pane.

On first cleans i scrub the entire frames and glass and rinse well, i then wipe the top frame with a microfibre, srub and rinse the top opener, microfibre dry the upvc below the opener then sscrub and rinse the lower pane.

Sound a longer process than it is in reality with a microfibre towel to hand

Yes, on first cleans. I give a real good clean using g101, then I clean and rinse again. Then if I see runs I give a last rinse... I think it may be just a case that some windows are just more problematic than others. I've noticed that you can have three panes in one window, two are perfect and one is problematic, yet you clean each one the same way!!

Yes, on first cleans. I give a real good clean using g101, then I clean and rinse again. Then if I see runs I give a last rinse... I think it may be just a case that some windows are just more problematic than others. I've noticed that you can have three panes in one window, two are perfect and one is problematic, yet you clean each one the same way!!

Make sure theyre not hard water marks. some windows are not set back at all so run straight from the wall in which case rain will wash minerals from the bricks, or worse still if the wall is rendered this will cake up the windows with mineral deposits.

Make sure theyre not hard water marks. some windows are not set back at all so run straight from the wall in which case rain will wash minerals from the bricks, or worse still if the wall is rendered this will cake up the windows with mineral deposits.

Charge much more for first cleans personally although I'm not brave enough to do it we should be charging the same as one offs it deters messers who really shouldn't object to paying if the windows are that bad they haven't had to pay for a window cleaner for all that time and use Virosol or similar it leaches out the dirt from seals and when you rinse the water cascades better I have noticed this.

I obviously clean my own windows and it's just the nature of the beast - spotting occurs occasionally! It's just part and parcel of the WFP system. I get a mark on my kitchen window every time is clean and is the same on another job that I do. I clean it all WFP except two windows on this particular job. It's not perfect and you can't stand and wait for it to dry as this simply cannot be done with every window on every job, so it just is what it is. In my mind every window is left perfect unless I hear something. So as far as I'm concerned all my regular customers are happy with the WFP.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Good point Lee, thankfully our customers aren't as fussy as we are, but I remember being overly fussy when I first started as a traditional w/c. It's all about confidence...I'm getting there!

Daveyboy......how do you apply the 'no nonsense' degreaser to the glass please ??Thanks.
Small spray bottle

Spray on to brush for tops and just run the brush all over the frames and glass with the water off..i do all the tops i can do without the brush getting too dry then turn the water on and clean them

Spray bottoms direct with sprayer

I have it 50/50 in sprayer as it literally only needs 1 or 2 sprays per window

Back