Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Claiming

Hi when you claim for equipment how much can you claim back?
Claim all of it m8 including the pants and socks you wear to work and everything else /emoticons/smile.png

Hi when you claim for equipment how much can you claim back?

A good accountant will cost less than £10 per week, and save you much more in the longer term. Penny pinchers never prospers mate, and good accountant won’t cost you more than not having one. But if you don’t think your business isn’t worth the £8 per week, don’t bother.

If you do decide to use a professional accountancy service; go to a small accountancy firm with several employees including the owner or partners, some of the employees will even be part time. You get a broad range of experienced accountants and the personal touch.

A good accountant will cost less than £10 per week, and save you much more in the longer term. Penny pinchers never prospers mate, and good accountant won’t cost you more than not having one. But if you don’t think your business isn’t worth the £8 per week, don’t bother.
If you do decide to use a professional accountancy service; go to a small accountancy firm with several employees including the owner or partners, some of the employees will even be part time. You get a broad range of experienced accountants and the personal touch.
Sound advice. I know an accountant who only charges 150 quid to do all your accounts, find someone like that you cant go wrong, and you wont get a nasty bill on the doormat one day.

I do my own accounts

If you are good with formulas on excel it is easy

Claim for everything

I have a nice pair of air max on expenses as work footwear

I do my own accountsIf you are good with formulas on excel it is easy

Claim for everything

I have a nice pair of air max on expenses as work footwear
Same here m8, I do it all myself it's not that hard and if you do make a mistake the tax office are very helpfull, I'm even going to try and claim for my xmas holiday this year as my wife does my books alot so I'm claiming it as a works xmas break ill get a receipt for everything I buy when away hoping I'll pay no tax next year /emoticons/smile.png

I've not tried that one yet

If you do it on excel with 4 pages

Expenses

Income

Tax/ni

Summary

And link formulas between them you can't make mistakes as it does it all for you and gives you a monthly and annual breakdown

if taxman wants records buy usb and copy it and send to them (don't forget to add it to expenses first)

Then you also have your little black book with what you really earn..lol

I use a accountant, £30 a month direct debit, I also clean his windows. so get £12 of that back. :rofl:

You can only claim work clothes I believe, I only claim for winter ones, like ski trousers etc....and work boots...all equipment can go through as long as it is used for the job....Its not worth being dodgy over a few quid, as if you get investigated then your in big trouble.!!

I wear trainers for work unless wet so air max are work clothes lol

Surprising what you can claim

Even if not working you can claim fuel as you need it for canvassing etc

I have done tax returns for around 20 years as most jobs i have done were self employed and the revenue boys have always been happy with me

You can claim for the expense of cleaning work clothes, cloths etc also for percentage of phone bill etc as all used for work

How about scrims and microfibres, do put them as expences in one tax year or you spread the cost over 5 years(capital expenditure)?

How about scrims and microfibres, do put them as expences in one tax year or you spread the cost over 5 years(capital expenditure)?
Anything small like this goes in yearly m8

Anything i buy or pay for to do the job i keep receipts for and on my spreadsheet i enter it in that month

End of the tax year i have a spreadsheet for the taxman if needed and recipts bundled together into months

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm3tmk60bq1piio/accounts 2014-2015 template.xls?dl=0

I just wiped a copy of mine and saved as a template..use that if it helps

Basic spreadsheet but it works

I work on a 4 week month with any missed days caught up at end of month hence weeks numbered 1-7, 8-14 etc

The only things i don't claim as normal expenses would be a new vehicle

As a sole trader that is all that's required by the robbing taxman

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4 pound a week is an rough average told to me by an accountant friend

It isn't my main spreadsheet just a summary but it has a section for tools etc

Why do tools need to be spread?

It is a legitimate expense so can be offset against tax

I looked in to it all ages ago and as a sole trader of a small company with no employees and not vat registered that is all the taxman needs to do your returns

Been doing it this way for years

Latest Posts

Back