Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Permanent Staff – How Do You Keep Them Working in Winter?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

W

WWC

If you have permanent staff, what do you do with them when the rain falls too hard and the wind blows too much?

For instance last winter was horrible – far too many days were work just wasn't possible. I work in the rain, but it can get too much and/or the wind can blow too hard for cleaning 'safely'. We only have so many inside jobs (not very many in my case). So, what do you do with staff who need paid? The only work I can do in most weather conditions is pressure washing, and I don't push that side of my business.

Do you have other work that you do in the winter that isn't weather dependent? Do you work your staff even when the weather is too bad for safe working? Does your contract say that you can't supply a constant supply of work all year?

I really would like to bring on staff permanently, but can't think of a way around the 'winter problem'.

Anyone have any ideas that work i.e. that you actually do yourself with your staff?

Thanks.

my mate is self employed if the weather is to bad they are rained of no pay

my thinking is when it is fair get out and graft ,then when the **** weather comes, rained of, the secret is to graft when you can

you can graft full weekends to catch up

I used to love winter when i was subbing of a local firm

Their self employed guys phoning up "it's too wet" "it's too cold" etc

It kept me in work every day i wanted it over winter

my mate is self employed if the weather is to bad they are rained of no paymy thinking is when it is fair get out and graft ,then when the **** weather comes, rained of, the secret is to graft when you can

you can graft full weekends to catch up
That doesn't really work with staff though. Fine for anyone working for themselves, but not for a person looking for a JOB.

I used to love winter when i was subbing of a local firmTheir self employed guys phoning up "it's too wet" "it's too cold" etc

It kept me in work every day i wanted it over winter
See, even the self employed don't want to work in bad weather - think how many sick days employess wouldn't pull.

Dont know where you were last winter but it wasnt a 'bad' winter by any stretch.

I had a helper last winter and we lost a total of 4 days. We got caught up and he got paid.

If you have a chap on staff you really should have about £1k put aside to help float his wages when there is a bad spell and remember that he will earn you a hell of a lot more in the long runnif he knows you're a boss that's got his back when it's rough out there.

Back