Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you think you could start from scratch again?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Talking to a chap last night and he's finding it easy to pick up work. I do believe the work is still out there if you work hard enough.

If you had to relocate and start again could you? Would the round be better? Worse?

What would you do differently?

Would you rebrand?

I have done it

Moved from London and started again

That was a few years ago now and with the amount of new windies about i would find it a bit daunting now but definitely still doable

Did it 3 times ! Once because of stress i sold my first one , secondly because we moved to the other end of the country to Copenhagen ( wifeys origin) then i straight hated Big City life and wanted to move Back to the countryside ,thats where i started for the third and last time . Must say my third business is the Best , learned a lot ,when to Walk away and what to keep and so on .. And the area is nicer. But its far easier to Build a good profitatble business in the big City . People earn more , and are Quick to decide, not like countryfolks . Still hate it though..

I think the area you're in makes a massive difference in your business. I've said it before but I live in a 4 bed semi and can get my windows cleaned, frames and sills, for £5.

There is work available at better numbers, but until the 18 hour benefit workers are weeded out the chance of me starting in a similar area would be slim to nil.

Christ no thanks finding it hard enough this time around to put me off for life.

If in had to do It would find the best area in the country. Get a 50k loan and pay canvassers to build it up and rope someone to help do the first cleans.

Once first cleans were done I would sack him and carry on alone and live happily ever after.

The only way I could start again would be if I paid for a very well paid round.

The idea of knocking doors, chasing clients etc on the weekend and evenings sends a shiver down my spine.

Obviously, if it was that or starve, I'd do the former [emoji23]

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

Where I live in south West London work wise yes, plenty work out here but living wise i think I would struggle.

I started out Window cleaning in my early 20s, now I am now 34 going on 35 next month.

In 2004 when I started out rent used to cost me about £450 a month for a studio flat then add utilities bills, car insurance, petrol and foods etc which was all very doable but now I think I would struggle if I was a young kid starting out in 2017.

I wouldn't be able to rent if I could afford to. Most landlords are not interested letting out to self-employed people like me unless I pay a whole 6 month or a year rent upfront. Then look how much kids today have to pay to get their car insured then add utilities bills petrol, foods and so on.

I had a look at the going rent in my area and you would be lucky to get a studio flat for under £950 a month. How some people around here survive with normal wage jobs I never know.

Where I live in south West London work wise yes, plenty work out here but living wise i think I would struggle.
I started out Window cleaning in my early 20s, now I am now 34 going on 35 next month.

In 2004 when I started out rent used to cost me about £450 a month for a studio flat then add utilities bills, car insurance, petrol and foods etc which was all very doable but now I think I would struggle if I was a young kid starting out in 2017.
I completely agree Dave, rent is EXTORTIONATE in London, and as for buying it's definitely out of the question for young people. A family house in just a regular area is £600k - £750k with a 1 or 2 bedroom Flat at about ½ a million and that will need work & improvement!!!

The worlds gone bonkers!

Whereabouts in SW London are you? (Just got asked to tender a property in tooting)

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

At the moment I am living near wimbledon. I used to rent a flat in places like Hammersmith, shepherds bush around these areas.

I will be moving further out soon in greater London where my parents live as I am having my two bedroom place built on my parents land. I am done with renting now.

@davewindowcleaner i am originally from Hammersmith/shepherds bush area

I remember 1991 rent for a 2 bed flat was £70.02 a week to the council back then

I would hate to think how much it would be nowadays

Daveyboy I remember you mentioned you follow spurs a while back:thumbsdown:... What wrong with Qpr? The greatest football club world, you should know that coming from hammersmith :thumbsup:

I was born opposite in st marys mate

Friends dad was spurs and that was the first game i went to so followed them

I do have a soft spot for qpr though

I'm officially from royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea but i don't support chelsea lol

Daveyboy I remember you mentioned you follow spurs a while back:thumbsdown:... What wrong with Qpr? The greatest football club world, you should know that coming from hammersmith :thumbsup:
What's wrong with qpr is that they have a manager called Ian hollaway, who's head I'd like to rip off and p*ss down his neck. I detest the him for the way he treated Millwall. Grade A bell end.

@Damo, the thought of starting over again would horrify me.Im happy where I live and work, but I'm 50 now and happy with my set up /emoticons/smile.png

Is spartan the long lost son of Jimmy Cricket, The resemblence is there, Spartan do you wear Wellies when working, L + R:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

My mate bought his 1 bed garden flat in victorian home in Balham mid 90s for £36k (right to buy) last valuation £468k
similar to me.

bought a house we were private renting in 1995 for £42k, worth about £650+k now.....

Thats a price increase of approx 1500%

Have my wages kept pace?? HECK no!

Latest Posts

Back