Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Here's a story for you!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jake

Seen as the forum is a bit quiet at the moment I'll endeavour to tell you of an issue I had the other day, ok... Maybe not issue, but major incident.

Basically I was at work doing some ladder work, and was driving no more than a few hundered yards between houses in a nice old village. So in that respect I usually don't bother putting the ladder winders on, I just drive slow and steady, never been in problem in 8 years until now!

Problem was I decided whilst making a short trip that I'd go to tesco and get a coffee and some lunch, rather than going to the next house.

So just as I reach 40mph I hear a great crash and glance in my left mirror, noooooooooo!!!! Ladders had flown off the roof rack and crashed onto the road. Thankfully the car behind managed to stop in time and no one was injured, and no cars were damaged.

I slammed the brakes on, ran back up the dual carriageway to collect the ladders. They'd been completely bent, unusable. Not to mention my ego took a kicking. I felt like an abosulte plonker. Embarrassed and very sorry, I walked back to the van, holding my hand up to say sorry to all the drivers as they passed by.

No one stopped to help, and no one said anything, they all just drove off, which in some ways, was a good thing.

Moral of the story, never drive around without the ladders clamped on.

I'm amazed it took 40mph for them to fall off, but my roof bars have grippy rubber seals on them that give the ladder a lot of grip and resistance.

Could of killed someone! Or seriously damaged a car.

I've heard of this happening to a few windies before, anyone had similar?

I think it must have happend to everyone including myself but some would rather keep that to themselves.... I just blame frank /emoticons/biggrin.png

And yes I've done it more than once but lucky enough the ladders have never fallen off as I drive way too slow

That's not happened but i did do a similar thing once where i only shoved the front clamp on as was rushing

When you turn round a roundabout on to a dual carriageway and the ladders swing out like a big blade ready to decapitate passing bikes it puts the wind up you

I take it you did not stop to pick them up then
no way hosay !

but a day later they had gone. i reckon the owner reclaimed em in the middle of the night when traffic was quiet.

I've been worried about this happening and killing someone since I got my ladders, so I go OTT with two clamps and a winch tie down

Couldn't see the ladders come off in that clip smurf, do I need stronger glasses?

The rhino quick clamps i use are accident tested and rated for safety in a collision if they are both facing the correct way (the hook facing forwards)

Plus they are so easy to use

Yeah I'll certainly not risk it ever again, to be fair I'm sure it's fine at very low spee, I just should've thought about it when detouring to tesco!!

The rhino quick clamps i use are accident tested and rated for safety in a collision if they are both facing the correct way (the hook facing forwards)Plus they are so easy to use

I actually don't like the rhino clamps Dave, I find them too stiff and cumbersome to use, I prefer well oiled winders, I just find them easier and faster...

Seen as the forum is a bit quiet at the moment I'll endeavour to tell you of an issue I had the other day, ok... Maybe not issue, but major incident.
Basically I was at work doing some ladder work, and was driving no more than a few hundered yards between houses in a nice old village. So in that respect I usually don't bother putting the ladder winders on, I just drive slow and steady, never been in problem in 8 years until now!

Problem was I decided whilst making a short trip that I'd go to tesco and get a coffee and some lunch, rather than going to the next house.

So just as I reach 40mph I hear a great crash and glance in my left mirror, noooooooooo!!!! Ladders had flown off the roof rack and crashed onto the road. Thankfully the car behind managed to stop in time and no one was injured, and no cars were damaged.

I slammed the brakes on, ran back up the dual carriageway to collect the ladders. They'd been completely bent, unusable. Not to mention my ego took a kicking. I felt like an abosulte plonker. Embarrassed and very sorry, I walked back to the van, holding my hand up to say sorry to all the drivers as they passed by.

No one stopped to help, and no one said anything, they all just drove off, which in some ways, was a good thing.

Moral of the story, never drive around without the ladders clamped on.

I'm amazed it took 40mph for them to fall off, but my roof bars have grippy rubber seals on them that give the ladder a lot of grip and resistance.

Could of killed someone! Or seriously damaged a car.

I've heard of this happening to a few windies before, anyone had similar?
It's happened to me more than once. I kid you not I once did up to 60mph on a dual carriage way from one job to another and only realised my ladders were loose on the car roofbars when I went to undo them at my next job:eek:

I once went from doing one street, somehow got distracted from attaching my ladders. I went down the main road and had to brake half way. The ladders just shot straight forward in front of me scratching my bonnet and onto the road. no one hurt or cars touched either luckily.

Another time I did the same thing, pulled up before a busy main road and the ladders shot forward straight into the main road. I was so lucky nothing was passing at that moment.

Glad I don't use them much now as it's not just climbing them that makes them dangerous /emoticons/biggrin.png

best one I did wasnt ladders but...

a pair of glass patio doors lodged in my van bloody neighbour came talking and I forgot to shut doors....turned out onto a very busy road...

both patio doors fell into the middle of the road un damaged....I pulled over and went to get them just as a hgv driver came towards me....

swear the barsteward drove over them on purpose..

so many things buzzing in our heads these days its no wonder these things happen...

I keep making new rules like ...ALWAYS TIE ON LADDERS AS YOU PUT THEM ON but...

keep forgetting them...:eek:

thankgod Im too old for work these days..

:rolleyes:

I can't stand windy clampsRhino ones are so quick to use
For you they are, for me I find rhino slow and annoying, my mate uses them and I hate getting the ladders off his van, much prefer my winders, I have this debate with him all the time, but in the end it's whatever suits the suiter!

Phew it's happens to other aswell , I was too lazy to clamp my ladders on the roof bars one afternoon a few years ago , I thought it's a few yards down the road , I did a three point turn , slowly drove to my next house turned to park next to the Pavement , bloody clipped it , in slow motion the ladders where rockin then slid down the windscreen, Bonnet then onto the ground. Lucky nothing parked in front of me . Nice scratch on bonnet .. Still there today , my wife drives it as I have my van . Never done that again !!!

Latest Posts

Back