Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Doing it quiting my job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Been cleaning myself for a month now and decided I definitely could benefit with a backpack pole system for all the awkward / hard to reach Windows ( generally the dormer in the roof)What pole would be best clx 22 or slx 25??

Enjoying it so far but realise I'm still slow compared to you guys, but just trying to do a thorough job.

Cheers
I wouldn't worry about a backpack just yet mate. You'll get much, much quicker as time goes by and you'll get more and more confident and have less problems with awkward/hard to reach windows. I remember shitting myself doing certain windows when I first started. A couple of months later and I was more confident and found them much easier.

I'd concentrate on doing a good job and not worrying about how fast you are. I've never been the fastest but as long as I'm earning enough I'm happy. Speed will come with time.

Wait until you're more established and then start having a look at WFP. It's not cheap, no matter how you go about it. You could do a DIY trolley and save some £££ but you've still got to buy a pole, water storage, all the stuff you need to make your water.

I recently bought some WFP gear. The backpack, pole, brush and hose cost me £350. A second hand tank for my van was £50. Some extra water drums were another £20 and then there were some other odds and sods. Probably about £500 in total. Not mega bucks but it's still a fair bit to spend just to reach some awkward windows that you probably won't find awkward in a couple of months.

It's just I've had a few really awkward ones where I've used an unger option pole for the mop and squeegee and it's been a pain in the ***

Just thinking of how to make these easier!

I'm quite happy to backpack the awkward ones and do the easier ones trad

Cheers for all the advice( much needed!)

After umming and arhing I spoke to the missed and she an I both agree it's time to quit my full time after getting 20 plus calls in the last 3 days and getting 70% of the work it's s bad time for the company I work in comin up to Christmas but I'm sick of welding and my small buisness is kicking off this will be the first time in leaving a full time job to run a buisness so I'm very nervous I just know I will make this work !!
Perhaps you could get a welding job on shifts, then you can still work while building you window cleaning up, as I did. Are you doing hand welding or machine? You have to take into account that you will need to have more work than 'just enough', because you will be cutting it too fine. I was working permanent nights and window cleaning in the mornings. Then I moved to twilight shift (4:30 till 10), so had all day up to 3pm to do my window cleaning. Eventually, I had so much work that it was difficult to do and go to work. Luckily for me, I was under threat of redundancy, then the company got sold and we were all made redundant. I finished work on the Thursday night (with my redundancy pay), and was full time window cleaning on Monday morning.

Na My welding job doesn't work like that, 630 to 430 mon to fri I make the same as my wage window cleaning on the weekend but I gave my notice 4 more weeks then I'm jumping into it /emoticons/smile.png :) excited

Na My welding job doesn't work like that, 630 to 430 mon to fri I make the same as my wage window cleaning on the weekend but I gave my notice 4 more weeks then I'm jumping into it /emoticons/smile.png :) excited
I wish you well with it.

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to take the plunge in 1989 aged 24 and never looked back. I came from a string of warehouse and factory jobs until I started, when it was still old school shammy leathers, hard wood ladders and round buckets.

I still can`t believe how lucky I am to have that feeling in a morning when I wake up and have no one to answer to, apart from that is, to my own OCD telling me to get to my **** into gear.

Freedom is not a pleasure enjoyed by all and should be savoured and appreciated every day.

I feel truly blessed

evening all,

I jumped in with a roof rack and some ladders and an old mondeo in 2002.

Worked for unigate as a franchisee which enabled me to get finished early and build my round up.

Don't advertise either, positive word of mouth is the best advert!

Servicing 400 plus quality customers now and wouldn't go back!!

I tell clients at the point of quoting if there is a awkward window, " I'll do my best with that one" then they don't expect miracles, good luck!!

After umming and arhing I spoke to the missed and she an I both agree it's time to quit my full time after getting 20 plus calls in the last 3 days and getting 70% of the work it's s bad time for the company I work in comin up to Christmas but I'm sick of welding and my small buisness is kicking off this will be the first time in leaving a full time job to run a buisness so I'm very nervous I just know I will make this work !!
I made the jump 12 years ago now and worked my other job as a franchisee milkman whilst building up Windows.

Long long days then but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

The freedom and flexibility I have are irreplaceable.

My children have benefited from it emmensley and I now have such a fantastic customer base I can afford to be more choosy with jobs.

Hard work but believe me it's well well worth it.

It's not all a bed of roses and it does present its disadvantages but advantages come out on top for me.

I Wish you well

Good luck!

Back