Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Right way to fill a Di Vessel?

GSS Window Cleaning

Is there a right or wrong way? Watching a few videos on YouTube I noticed they only fill the di vessel 3 quarters full. I have a 25 litre di vessel and use 98% of a bag of unger resin when filling. I empty the old resin then place the riser inside then put a bit of tape over the riser use a cone to fill virtually to the top and keep banging the vessel so the resin compacts then I fill it up with water take the tape off then screw the head back on. Just wondering if I'm over filling and would this make a difference? Thanks.

Hi, just set up my DI vessel last week and checked tds straight away and it was zero.
Practiced on neighbours windows yesterday and noticed drip marks left behind. Tested water today and its showing tds of 12.

The water out my tap is only 23ppm.

I have my first customers booked in for Monday so am worried about this. How do i get it to zero?

Is pressure into the vessel too high? Should I only half open the tap?
I read something about flushing, is this the problem?

I tried the search function but 'tds' is too short a word to search for apparently.
Thanks for any help.

Update...

I unscrewed the head of the vessel, took the riser tube out, put it all together again, gave it a good shake and tried again, a reading of zero, which is a relief!

Any ideas as to why it jumped up, and how to stop it happening again?

Thanks

If you follow Alex's instruction video you will be doing it right.

[media]

[/media]

This is how I fill mine but do fill them up to the neck of the vessel with resin as feel you can get dead space and water can track without going through the resin properly.

I did wonder about that, I'll top it up a bit more with resin, thanks.

Does water pressure make any difference in a di vessel?
The slower the water passes through it obviously the more contact time with the resin the better the water quality.

Not really. The water enters the resin bottle at the bottom end of the riser tube. The bottle then fills up and water exits via the top. No need to fill right to the brim. Water tracking isn’t even a thing.
This is how I fill mine but do fill them up to the neck of the vessel with resin as feel you can get dead space and water can track without going through the resin properly.

Not really. The water enters the resin bottle at the bottom end of the riser tube. The bottle then fills up and water exits via the top. No need to fill right to the brim. Water tracking isn’t even a thing.
You can get water tracking I have had it in the past this is why I tend to fill to the neck , if the vessel isn’t full the water can go out of the bottom of the riser follow the tube to the top and out the outlet this was what happened ti me and the water still had a reading , as the water is getting minimal contact with the resin since filling to the neck never had a problem since .

Tracking must have been the issue, can't think what else it would have been. Brand new, was showing zero, then jumped to 12. Now fixed. Cheers!

You can get water tracking I have had it in the past this is why I tend to fill to the neck , if the vessel isn’t full the water can go out of the bottom of the riser follow the tube to the top and out the outlet this was what happened ti me and the water still had a reading , as the water is getting minimal contact with the resin since filling to the neck never had a problem since .
Normally the first reaction of the water exiting the bottom of the tube is to go down. Things like gravity and the weight of the water make this happen. It would then spread the entire surface/diameter of the vessel, again weight of the water through a highly pourus material nothing would stop it. It would only stop spreading when it makes contact with the vessel sides then the level would start to rise upwards as this would be the only way the water can go now. To get the water to follow the side of the riser tube without spreading through highly pourus resin would be defining gravity and overcoming the weight of the water. You can’t fill a glass or bucket with water just in the middle it’s kind of impossible. Water always spreads first until it’s contained. It’s very heavy.

Normally the first reaction of the water exiting the bottom of the tube is to go down. Things like gravity and the weight of the water make this happen. It would then spread the entire surface/diameter of the vessel, again weight of the water through a highly pourus material nothing would stop it. It would only stop spreading when it makes contact with the vessel sides then the level would start to rise upwards as this would be the only way the water can go now. To get the water to follow the side of the riser tube without spreading through highly pourus resin would be defining gravity and overcoming the weight of the water. You can’t fill a glass or bucket with water just in the middle it’s kind of impossible. Water always spreads first until it’s contained. It’s very heavy.
Maybe I haven’t explained it very well , if the vessel isn’t full of resin it allows the water the teach through the resin a bit like a river will follow a cert course , you can actually see this happen with Ionic’s linear filters , Evan there new verticals ones do the same thing to a certain extent .

Back