Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying pure water

Dan Paton

evening guys. I can't use an RO system as I live in a 3rd floor flat. So I use DI vessels. However I have a tds reading of 289 so I'm thinking it might just be easier to buy water. What is the going rate ?

The going rate round here is 4p a litre

Cheaper to make 5000 litres for what the resin would cost

It would cost 200 quid to buy it ..but if local a hell of a lot easier

I know once i get my van sorted the guy said he can come to an arrangement

He is good really as i have an account and can pay while I'm there or when i next go etc and he emails me a receipt at the end of the month for the taxman

And only 2 miles away

Another option is to pop the twin DI vessels in the van and let the purification happen whilst at work eg

Tap water in tank - pump - di vessel (pre filter with older resin) - di vessel (new resin) - hose - pole.

I am 253 and go through roughly a bag a month (approx 5500L per month)

I am a recent convert to this method and absolutely love it. It takes about 8mins to fill my 250L tank in the morning and off I go!

How long would it last me at 500ppm then
About 10 minutes Dave, don't even think about it, after running 4040 and di at home, I've been buying water for about 3 months regularly, and it's so so so much easier for us guys with high tds...

For those that have tds under 300ppm then by all means they should produce there own,

But for us with 500ppm plus, it's better to buy, it's not just resin, it's the membranes and pre filters that get destroyed by the seriously hard water we have, so it costs a fortune to keep replacing filters, resin etc, it's also annoying as you've got to be in at home checking it all the time, water bill goes through the roof, leaks, frost, problems bla bla bla, just way better to buy it and have nothing to worry about, plus it's nice and easy to shove the receipt in the tax mans gob, rather than faffing with how much water you use at home and proving what's work related and what the wife's using to wash her hair etc etc

With buying the water you just get a nice receipt that gets deducted as expenses, nice and simple and no 'dodgyness'

The guy i use fills my drums to the brim and only charges for 25l which wouldn't actually fill a 25l drum completely. .just to the ridge round the drum near the top

Only pennies difference but it all adds up..must be an extra litre per drum

I've seen him do other peoples and go by the reading on the gun

Or i fill em myself and tell him how many drums rather than the reading

It costs me roughly 1K to buy all the resin I need to operate for 1 year (bearing in mind I'm 253)

I am thinking about buying a large crate of resin though to save £. Got storage and it's quite common for windies to do down here.

Might need to recalculate (or work harder /emoticons/wink.png ) as I tested the water this morning and it's gone up to 293!

Back