Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Noticed a few see this job as a hobbie....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jake

Just wandering round YouTube and watched a snippet of bobs latest video (polz n bladz) and got me thinking, some people really do see this job as a hobbie and are actually very attached to window cleaning,

Is it mad? Sad? Good? Strange? Or all of them, qhite funny really, it's like wagga, he's clearly just obsessed with window cleaning, I wonder how healthy it is... I wonder what there wife's think, I know my missus hates me being on this forum, dread to think what bobs wife says to him when he's shooting homemade videos everyday!

One day they'll run out of things to film...

lol my missus hatesme on here to lol

but like it has to be a good thing

when im out im looking for places and houses with dirty windows went to a resturant yesterday and aske them who cleans there windows aand when

then manager came over said the old guy has just been yesterday <friday> i replied that they were in bad shape for 1 days dirt so i said i call next week give him a quote

when driving past new devolpments i log down how far they r along

when u see the tarmac going down u know theyr close to finshing

but if i decide to go out for more work i am going to have to take someone on as im pushing my luck and working flat 6 days a week

but this isnt my job its my profession

i can say the same for people on here like u @Jake

you love your work and take pride in it same as myself

Its a funny biz window cleaning I have started just two years ago having not cleaned a single window before have a full time.job still and clean windows about 2 full days a week at present and I love it to the point that I cant wait for thursday and saturday to come so I can clean some windows. I dont really have to do it as make about 25k in my main job so ok financially but cant imagine not doing it anymore somehow... funny business..

No harm in chatting with a bunch of like minded people who have a similar life. Great to have someone to moan and vent to about my job because the misses wouldn't give a dam. Remember most windies work alone so spending 6-8 hours a day alone not talking to anyone can be a bit shitty. Just like anything to much can be a bad thing when it becomes obsessive it's not that healthy but as long as you can stay in the real world and spend time with family and doing other stuff you love you've probably found a healthy balance. Ps my misses hates me on here too but I don't moan at her when she spends an hour doing her make up before we go out!

a lot of folk are in this job for different reasons.
So true. I do this just to give me a stable wage to subsidise my main work. Also I am aiming to build up a round that will sell for good money when I want out. Its actually a big part of the business plan in my head, though I don't see myself ever wanting to sell it. A bit like house prices, I predict that window rounds end selling prices will go up and up over the next decade, so building a good round may just be the best move anyone could ever make.

I love my job, and whilst you are right @boarcity i still think the majority are in it for the money and to make there way, I get the feeling that over time some people start to then get attached to the job and it starts to become there hobbie, @Damo - your one of them, it's a hobbie for you as well as a job, come on admit it /emoticons/wink.png;)/emoticons/wink.png

But don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing, enjoying your job is a rarity and I think it's great that people see it as a hobbie and they enjoy it so much, but sometimes it can seem a tad sad - well that's the wife says!

I'm one of them, I see it as a hobbie, and enjoy the forum side of it and the videos etc, but for some I feel it literally is all they have...

lol my missus hatesme on here to lol

but like it has to be a good thing

when im out im looking for places and houses with dirty windows went to a resturant yesterday and aske them who cleans there windows aand when

then manager came over said the old guy has just been yesterday <friday> i replied that they were in bad shape for 1 days dirt so i said i call next week give him a quote

when driving past new devolpments i log down how far they r along

when u see the tarmac going down u know theyr close to finshing

but if i decide to go out for more work i am going to have to take someone on as im pushing my luck and working flat 6 days a week

but this isnt my job its my profession

i can say the same for people on here like u @Jake

you love your work and take pride in it same as myself
Yeah I defo agree with taking pride, as self employed business owners we all hopefully share that philosophy,

But I think id lose my wife if I was like polz or wagga! Too much time on your job and never knowing when to leave it alone isn't a good thing...

It's important to have other hobbies, interests and family time.... There are just a select few that seem to be overboard with it all, and I just wondered how you all felt,

Don't get all upset with me now /emoticons/smile.png

It's just an observation and some thought provoking... Mainly brought on by the wife who thinks we're really all sad! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I defo agree with taking pride, as self employed business owners we all hopefully share that philosophy,
But I think id lose my wife if I was like polz or wagga! Too much time on your job and never knowing when to leave it alone isn't a good thing...

It's important to have other hobbies, interests and family time.... There are just a select few that seem to be overboard with it all, and I just wondered how you all felt,

Don't get all upset with me now /emoticons/smile.png

It's just an observation and some thought provoking... Mainly brought on by the wife who thinks we're really all sad! :rofl:
im still waitin for your vid jake [ extending the Abru , machine gun sound ]

im still waitin for your vid jake [ extending the Abru , machine gun sound ]
Ha ha! Maybe this week, just a bit of a strange thing to do on my driveway boar!

Dont see why it is sad to be 100% into somehing?

I like windowcleaning a lot its more for me than just a job and i dont feel sad, why should i?

I dont give a :turd: what others think about me and my passions because its my life i do with it what i want.

Ha ha! Maybe this week, just a bit of a strange thing to do on my driveway boar!
please run it up and down several time as quick as you can , to mimic at least fourteen .50 cal rounds being loosed off in rapid fire .

tip- you might have to practice beforehand ,to get up to speed .

from memory on the way up that safety bar also does a pretty good "reload sound" and when you pull the bar snappily to go down it does a decent "magazine change " too !

Last edited:
Back