Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lead Windows, Charge More?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sam

Hello everyone.

I have a question or more so a question more specific to my circumstances.

I have to visit a potential customer for a quote. I already know how the house looks as I already do some in the same road. I am charging £8.50 for these properties but I am wondereing how much extra (in consideration for what I already charge) if any I should charge for lead windows.

Thanks,

Sam.

There are too many factors for me to give what I would charge. How do you clean them? I personally use a spray and 2 cloths (one to mop up the water, the other to polish) on each individual pane, whereas some people just run a shammy over the whole thing. And then there is WFP. As always, I would say, just work out how long they take you, and work it out of your hourly rate. And if in doubt- charge more.

Yeh that was rather vague. I'll be cleaning them traditionally, I'll mop then quickly run over them with a squeegee. Then use a large microfibre to dry off and then a fineweave micro to polish them. I shouldn't think it would take that much longer. It'll be the first lead windows I have done so perhaps I'll time myself and if it does take abit longer then consider an extra charge, although that will make it hard to quote them before the job so maybe charge more to start then deduct any that I feel is to much. We will see. Any other opinions would be welcomed.

You may well underprice that job as it's your first one so like you say go in at a price you will be happy doing it for then if it takes alot more effort & time bump the price up or drop it.

A little tip for the lead is to use old blades only on them. They have all sorts of sharp pieces of lead sticking out waiting to take a notch out of your rubber.

For trad method charge at least 40% more I would say for the extra drying/detailing time & extra material carrying/usage.

personally I don't charge more then normal windows - if you can easily reach them on ladder and you have a good microfiber cloth then you can clean it almost as fast as fwp

A little tip for the lead is to use old blades only on them. They have all sorts of sharp pieces of lead sticking out waiting to take a notch out of your rubber.
did that the other day thought not gonna wreck my good blade so got an old un from my stock...only really blading them because of the storm damage..

..on the £8.50 id go for a tenner...and explain how the lead needs more care and wears out your cloths...i am not a fan of leads why cant they keep them inside the double glazed units....they do take more effort but thankful i havent got too many..../emoticons/smile.png

Generally I don't charge more if I see an odd pane with lead, but I do have one that is totally covered, every window. I generally mop, squeegee, then buff it dry with scrims. With this customer, I just charged doubled what I would normally, as I really didn't have a clue how much longer it would take, and I was glad I did. It worked out correctly priced based on what we normally earn. The customer said she had about half a dozen window cleaner come and go, and was happy with the price. I have now been doing them for probably 4/5 years now.

pdzs.jpg

yeh i was a bit peeved today with one as i am damm sure the leads were only on the front before she got her new windows....so i put it up .....only soft leads...there are two distinct types...at least the conny was normal glass

Sam, if the lead is on uPVC then it will be a lot easier to clean than proper leaded lights. Proper leaded lights are a mare :thumbsdown:

Sam, if the lead is on uPVC then it will be a lot easier to clean than proper leaded lights. Proper leaded lights are a mare :thumbsdown:
Yep, and you have to be bloody gentle with them.

Thank you for all the advice and opinions. After consideration I had decided to charge and extra 50% (£12.75) and reduce the costs if that was excessive. I arrived, knocked the door and it turned out I knew the lady well. So after that shes getting them done for £8. Fortunatly it is only the front windows that are lead and they are upvc. In away I am slightly thankful for this as I can judge the rest of my lead window jobs using the experience from this.

Thanks again everyone.

Over 2 bloody hours that took me to do. Paint spots on every window. And you have to be so careful around the lead so not to take chunks out of it lol. Should be an easy job now.

Over 2 bloody hours that took me to do. Paint spots on every window. And you have to be so careful around the lead so not to take chunks out of it lol. Should be an easy job now.
that reminds me of the only time i took my lad out with me.....it was some sort of preservation oil spots all over the leads used on the oak surrounds....took hours scraping away...he never came to work with me again....i still do the job and its great but one day they may decide to put the stuff on the surround again ....hope not...just one of the things you have to do on first jobs which is why i charge more..../emoticons/smile.png

Back