Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying ladder feet

You can swap the ones on the top of each section with the bottom worn/broken ones you know too.

It's always best practice to inspect the ladder before you go to use it. By law if you have workers using ladders you are supposed to have a tag on them and a log of all the inspection date too.

You can swap the ones on the top of each section with the bottom worn/broken ones you know too.
id not do that ,its false economy. are u a foot swapper Smurf?

No as I check my ladders daily and replace them when needed but thought I would mention it to get someone out of a jam if need be whilst out working instead of taking the ladder out of service. /emoticons/wink.png

It's always best practice to inspect the ladder before you go to use it. By law if you have workers using ladders you are supposed to have a tag on them and a log of all the inspection date too.
any of you lads want to buy ladder inspection tag stickers iv got em going cheaply 1,50 a sticker , big stash here . good glue,no craap

By law if you have workers using ladders you are supposed to have a tag on them and a log of all the inspection date too.
That wonderful phrase 'BY LAW'

Sneaky bas**rd phrase, just when you sit down to digest Sundays lunch it leaps out an says BOO!!

Can you please hook me up with any link that says LEGALLY REQUIRED TO HAVE A STICKER / TAG OF INSPECTION please smurf.

Here is the HSE link that says it is 'good practice' but no where do I see 'LEGALLY REQUIRED BY LAW' (At least under mainland England Law)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf

These are the guidelines not the law.

It is up to the individual using the ladder to inspect it and check if it's fit for purpose.

Tagging them and inspecting them yourself periodically Smurf is just sound practice to protect yourself against claims for lack of due diligence should one of your chaps be unlucky enough to fall.

Sorry to rant about it, and I am a massive fan of working safely (my staff are under orders not to do a job if they are not 100% comfortable) I'm just sick and tired of the phrase 'BY LAW'

I never realized there were so many lawyers moonlighting as window cleaners to subsidize their paltry lawyers pay packets.

/emoticons/tongue.png

Just to clarify if you read this pdf you will see the follwing below

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

"Any equipment exposed to conditions that may cause it to deteriorate, and result in a dangerous situation, should be inspected at suitable intervals appropriate to the environment and use. Do an inspection every time something happens that may affect the safety or stability of the equipment, eg adverse weather, accidental damage.

You are required to keep a record of any inspection for types of work equipment including: guard rails, toe-boards, barriers or similar collective means of protection; working platforms (any platform used as a place of work or as a means of getting to and from work, eg a gangway) that are fixed (eg a scaffold around a building) or mobile (eg a mobile elevated working platform (MEWP) or scaffold tower); or a ladder "

It's the LAW don't you know but obviously you don't and if you are an employer you should /emoticons/tongue.png

Just Green Smurphie, not Greener.

Having just read the entire document it appears that all that applies to is permanent / semi permanent structures such as scaffolding etc.

The only part that refers to legal obligation of an 'Employer' are to keep a record of inspection should carry one out.

I have forwarded the question to my lawyer as you now have me curious and I pay him too much each year to do facckk all so he can answer it for me.

In the mean time I will leave you with this ...

https://www.facebook.com/ladderasso...0.1424009212./726776747391815/?type=3&theater

As you are so swift to pop in quotes from documentation here's one you didn't post in your self same document.

'In the case of low-risk, short duration tasks (short duration means tasks that take less than 30 minutes) involving ladders, competence requirements may be no more than making sure employees receive instruction on how to use the equipment safely (eg how to tie a ladder properly) and appropriate training. Training often takes place on the job, it does not always take place in a classroom.'

So I guess it now boils down to how long you plan to be up the ladder to carry out a task. If my boys took 30 mins to clean a window they wouldn't be here.

But I will inform you of what response I get from our lawyer as soon as he gets back to me .............now it's purely curiosity.

It up to you what you do but you still have to inspect and tag any type of ladders your workers use. In the result of an incident if the ladder is found to be defective it's your **** on the line @Green. Same goes with not training them properly and/or not having ladder safety devices available for your workers to use when required to help minimise the risks of the ladder slipping.

You as an employer have a duty of care for their safety which also happens to be LAW as I'm sure you are aware.
/emoticons/wink.png

things like ladder stickers impress H and S bods.

iv had a few run-ins with those bods over the years

i have ladder spikes fitted to my workers ladders permanently,this goes against the H and S directive that nothing should be modified but i dont care,my workers safety is what its all about,sometimes you have to go it alone.

H&S inspectors can be a pain in the **** for sure @boarcity
have u met a few ? one phrase that sticks in my mind said to me by an H and S man was "do it our way itll cost you 100s , dont do it our way itll cost u 1000s "

Yes I have and that about sums them up to a tee.

But I'm sure you meant ..."Do it our way it will cost you 100s, Do it your way it could cost you 1000s"

Back