Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TAPs WFP transition thread.

Sod that

My days of carrying heavy loads in a bergen on my back are well over

I have 25m of hose attached to mine and don't have to move it much

Just read through the posts, sounds like your excited with the change over, thats great and you sound like you are getting all set up in quick time. There is certainly lots of bits and bobs in wfp. As already suggested the univalve is so great for saving you water, especially when using a back pack and saves your back bending down switching of other types of taps. All the best:thumbsup:

What brush are you using on your leaded? If not a flocked, I'd recommend either a soft or flocked brush for them as monofilament brushes can lift lead. It's surprising how tough those bristles are once on the glass.You'll be surprised how much less water you need on maintenance cleans even when cleaning fames as well. Though that's nothing to do with the bristles.
I'll certainly try my other brushes once I can figure out how to change them lol. I planned on using a lot of water as the 3.5 houses I ended up doing are very good customers so I didn't want to take any risks. I treated it like an investment for the future.

40 litres per house!!! Did you have to swim back out the drive?Only joking, think we all tended to over engineer things when we first switched over. Good luck to you. I bet in a couple of months you'll wonder how you managed without it
As above mate, my first attempt was **** poor on the in laws house so I couldn't let that happen on this round, it's too good to lose. I washed and rinsed them twice. I'm surprised how far the water goes, even when I'm purposely trying to use it up. 3 and a half houses including a Conny.

I do quite a lot of leadeds, instead of going up and down most of them brush better going side to side. Give it a try both ways.
I did actually try both and I have to agree with you. It seemed to float over it all rather than bounce as I was doing on the up down, though my angle was a little off at the start so it got better.

Not a 100% sure but in the pic looks like flocked ultimate ? Thats the brush for leaded.
On your rain water Havesting, gimme a bell end of the week or at weekend. Will talk you through pressure boxes and filtration /emoticons/smile.png
I can't remember without checking, but it is the sill brush you recommended. I can't seem to swap it out though. I've tried pushing and pulling the couplings but to no avail.

Any tips on the harvesting would be appreciated mate. Not had a drop of residence I set it up though.lol

You don't wear the backpack do you?First thing i did was take the straps off
No mate, I fitted it to a trolley the way wagga did with his facelift backpack. It's a pain in and out of the van, but once rolling it's good. The only reason I detached it and used it as a backpack was because I had to get over a gate as the woman was on holiday and padlocked it. It was the leaded one with until now unreachable windows so i didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Just read through the posts, sounds like your excited with the change over, thats great and you sound like you are getting all set up in quick time. There is certainly lots of bits and bobs in wfp. As already suggested the univalve is so great for saving you water, especially when using a back pack and saves your back bending down switching of other types of taps. All the best:thumbsup:
Yes mate, loving it. I've got the bulk of the gear set up now with just a few minor tweaks to do, but I'm noticing that it will be a slow phasing in. So long as I am having to first clean everyone out of barrels, it is going to be slow going at the start, but the next time round will be bliss....that's the plan anyway.

What I do with leaded when i can is go up and down but stand slightly to 1 side so the brush is slightly diagonal rather than straight

Then the brush is not bouncing on the lead in my experience as the brush acts a bit like when you go side to side

What I do with leaded when i can is go up and down but stand slightly to 1 side so the brush is slightly diagonal rather than straightThen the brush is not bouncing on the lead in my experience as the brush acts a bit like when you go side to side
I was just so glad to not have to bother with scrims/micros anymore on them. I used to dread these two houses. Great customers but a pain to trad, should be a dream now. As a stroke of luck, one custy that is likely to hate it was out today. He's never been out in the 2.5 years I've worked for him, so I did his house and Conny wfp too.

Leads are easy trad but a bit monotonous after a few

This is how i trad them

Wfp is so much easier

Even i wfp the bottoms with leaded

[media]

[/media]

What I do with leaded when i can is go up and down but stand slightly to 1 side so the brush is slightly diagonal rather than straightThen the brush is not bouncing on the lead in my experience as the brush acts a bit like when you go side to side
Think what you do is similar to what I do. Especially if using a mono brush you don't want the bristles hitting the lead at 90 degrees. That's when they are most likely to lift it, especially at the joints. Flocked brushes are great on leaded, and I also find they scrub better generally. For me they do a better job on bird poo and slug trails too.

Re swapping out your brush, I use Gardiner's q-loq gooseneck and a JG (John Guest) 'T' fitting to connect the brush at the top of the pole.

Personally i only use flocked brushes

They definitely scrub better

Especially on conny roofs

Leads are easy trad but a bit monotonous after a fewThis is how i trad them

Wfp is so much easier

[media]

When I trad them which is hardly ever now, I give them a quick spray from the brush (I use fine flat fan jets from www.spraytips), lightly mist them and use a microfibre cloth to clean and buff. I've still got one or two that prefer me not to leave water all over their front door steps. I guess they worry about it being walked into the house, which is understandable I suppose. Some of those front doors have leaded windows in them.

Leads are easy trad but a bit monotonous after a fewThis is how i trad them

Wfp is so much easier

[media]

That's exactly how I've done it since I started. But for the past 3 months or so I have dropped the t bar and switched to just using a spray, first cloth to mop up the worst, and second to buff. The same results except you miss out a step saving time. And by using the spray it doesn't get so wet as you can totally control the amount of soap/water used. For my spray I just make a bottle with a squirt of magnum, and a couple of good squirts of vinegar. Top up with water, cheap as chips. Only thing I would do now is top up with pure, though not sure of the difference it would make.

I went through a stage of doing it like that but i find my way seems to look cleaner

Weird i know but to me it does lol

I was tradding with pure but i find it has less slip with soap than tap water

Need to use more soap with it

Well done AndyYou seem to have caught on quite quickly & glad it all went well mate
Cheers posh, I've had a lot of help along the way, and TBH if it wasn't for that, I would still be in the thinking stages.

IBC container just turned up at I was leaving. It's a big ugly beast but I'm looking forward to cleaning it up tonight and getting it filled.I'm going to have to cut a hole in the top for my transfer pump unless anyone has any better ideas?

I just bought two 280litre water butts from B&M and put a link pipe at the bottom. Takes up less space and nice easy access.

Back