Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stain On Leaded Window

Knoxy

Just picked up a new customer and done a first clean for him yesterday, he has got upvc frames with vents on the top that stick out about 2cm, all the windows are leaded, they all cleaned up nice except 2 of them, one that's is on the 3rd floor and his living room window.

The 3rd floor window has massive streaks either side of the vent running down the window from the first line of lead, I scrubbed for abot 10/15 mins and it never even touched it, sprayed some viro sol on and scrubbed again and still nothing. I can't get up close to the window because my ladder ain't long enough.

The living room window is different, it has stains running down after the last line of lead. I scraped it and scrubbed it but it won't shift.

I have a couple of other customers who have hard water marks and I've used viokal and also tried lemon juice then scrub with a bicarb and vinegar paste but it has little effect.

Anyone used something that actually will shift this?

I heard t cut works, but can't guarantee it.. I'm also going to try a metal polish I found in the shed, autosol to see if it does anything. I have a good few customers like this, even on brand new houses!

If it is paint stain then do the following-

Dab at wet paint on the leaded glass with a damp rag. Poke a finger into the rag and move the rag from outside the paint stain towards the inside. This keeps the stain from expanding.Soak a cotton ball in turpentine and wipe it onto the paint stain. Allow the turpentine to sit on the leaded glass for five minutes to give it time to loosen the paint. Wipe the paint and turpentine from the glass with a clean rag.Scrape any remaining specks of paint from the leaded glass with a straight-edged razor. Hold the razor at an angle and gently scrape at the paint. Wipe off loosened paint with a clean cloth.Fill a sink with warm water and 2 tbsp. of dish detergent. Set any leaded glass figures into the water and wash. Rinse with cool water and dry with a clean cloth. Wipe stained glass windows with the soapy water and rinse with a wet rag. Dry with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Back