Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sos Save Our Squeegee!

Ok lads seeing that trad & wfp pole is being discused yet again.

For example you have been asked to clear & deep clean the outside of the gutters, fascia and sofits. Also deep clean the window frames, sills and glass. Then deep clean the consevatory roof & sides inside and out on this one.

What methods would you use to get the job done? :rolleyes:

View attachment 2249

Stop bickering like little children and go out and earn some real money. Do I need to say anymore? /emoticons/biggrin.png

Here we go again :lol:
I maybe old but I'm not that def yet so why are you shouting /emoticons/tongue.png
well i thought if i shouted it might get through, might as well be speaking a different language, people talking about water fed pole when they dont have a clue.

Ok...So I have given an example above of a job that needs doing so do tell what methods you would use?

The obvious point I'm making is that both methods including some ladder work would be required to get that job done properly. Simples /emoticons/tongue.png

The old WFP VS TRAD again eh lol.

I honestly don't care now, it used to bother me people knocking trad. But I am not interested in other people or how they work. As long we are doing good that's all that matters.

If you are going to debate this in depth.

KEEP IT NICE!!

...and I 100% disagree with you Belfast. I have many customers that dislike wfp pole, the usual complaint, streaky windows, gallons of water all over the bloody place, muck left in the corners, windows left wet to the elements oh and, extortionate pricing and I can sympathise with and, fully agree with them.I first cleaned a house only yesterday that was last done wfp and at first look, the windows didn't look too dirty until I got up close to the upstairs and found the usual, paint splashes, years old in origin and those baked on blobs of snot like substances that the bristles of a broom can only tickle.

My father in law wants me to clean his windows for the same reasons, he's 2nd storey and has only 5 window for which he is charged 20 quid and what really annoys him, the flats below him get theirs wiped over for free due to splashes. How unfair is that ? He's having to pay the extra because of the system his current WC uses.

Of course you can clean alot quicker with wft pole than with trad but, have you ever stopped to ask yourself why ? I can dust my mantle piece alot faster than I can polish it.

I reckon the opposite, in ten years time I think it'll be 75% trad and 25% wfp. Why does ladderless automatically mean a wet brush on the end of a pole I don't know. I finally bought my wagtail last Tuesday and after trying it on my own top windows(on the end of a pole), I couldn't believe the job I did on my first attempt after running upstairs to take a look. I had left just a few drops of water along the very bottom where I hadn't closed out properly but, the glass, top and sides were pefect and I look forward to developing this skill.

And then there's the environmental issue, what is it....2 litres down the drain for every 1 litre of water purified...I could be wrong on that one ? We are experiencing some **** weather at the moment but, when we have one of those long hot summers with hose pipe bans everywhere, I would feel guilty as hell throwing 25 litres of water at an house. I could clean windows for a week on the amount of water some of you guys use on one house. Water is a commodity and like all commodities, it's price is governed by it's demand. If everyone stopped using petrol, it would sell for 10p a gallon.

Water fed pole for me, should be kept for those commercial jobs it was designed for and kept well away from residential properties. Just my opinion guys...

Mart.
I always said I'd never get a wfp set up, what use is it on residential etc.. But I bought one anyway.. Now I can take on big residential I couldn't have done trad.. On these big houses you can be a lot more cost effective compared to a trad cleaner, and not overly priced..

Wagtail on a pole is for commercial.. Not residential tops lol..

Ok lads seeing that trad & wfp pole is being discused yet again.
For example you have been asked to clear & deep clean the outside of the gutters, fascia and sofits. Also deep clean the window frames, sills and glass. Then deep clean the consevatory roof & sides inside and out on this one.

What methods would you use to get the job done? :rolleyes:

attachicon.gif
IMG_4308.JPG
To be honest with you Smurf, I wouldn't have a clue where to start as I see that job as conservatory cleaning rather than window cleaning. Yes, I know they're simular trades but, I simply don't know enough or have the equipment to answer your question. I'm a regular window cleaner and that's what my job description is for example, I don't deep clean conservatories and I don't clean out gutters. That's not because I would refuse those jobs, it's just that that's not what I do at the moment.
For example, if a customer asked me to do the work you're asking, I would explain to him/her that I've recently started up after 20 years away from the trade and while I can't promise anything, I would be more than happy to do the best job of cleaning the thing up that I could without any guarantee of me bringing it all back to white. I could for example, attach my mop to my pole with angle adapter and mop down the roof the best I could, I did have success removing all the green moss from a customers window sill like this recently. If there's a way for me to use my ladders against the wall or against something else with my mitts fitted, I could clamp a scrim to my pole and wipe down the best I could and use a simular method to clear the guttering the best I could. Then I could make a really good job on the windows themselves as, that's my game.

Other than that, if they want a job like I know you can do Smurf, then I'd recommend them contacting someone that can, and pay the correct price for the job. I know this is your speciality mate and admire you for it and I also know from reading many of your post that, you tend to do this kind of job more than you regularly clean windows and maybe one day I'll offer the same service but for now, I stick to cleaning glass and wiping down the sill /emoticons/smile.png

THIS IS THE SAME AS WATER FED POLE SO YOUR KNOCKING WATER BUT ITS OK TO LEAVE A MUCKY DRY SILL IS IT?
I wipe down the mucky sill while I'm up there cleaning the window mate and because I'm right on top of it, I can do a good job.I would never dream of first cleaning the top windows with a wagtail on a pole, I would always use my ladders so that I can get right on top the glass, mop it, scrape it, mop it again and blade it but then, once that jobs been done and I want to maintain the clean, why not use a squeegee on a pole whether it be a wagtail, a vice versa or just plain old mop n rubber. My point was, why is it either ladders or wfp ? It's not the pole I have anything against, it's what's fitted to the end of it and the technique used.

Poles are great but, what's wrong with learning how to trad with one, it's not impossible but, requires skill and effort to learn...why are wfp guys always trying to convert us tradders....could it be the want to hide the superior and proven method away from the world ? /emoticons/wink.png

Mart.

I wipe down the mucky sill while I'm up there cleaning the window mate and because I'm right on top of it, I can do a good job.I would never dream of first cleaning the top windows with a wagtail on a pole, I would always use my ladders so that I can get right on top the glass, mop it, scrape it, mop it again and blade it but then, once that jobs been done and I want to maintain the clean, why not use a squeegee on a pole whether it be a wagtail, a vice versa or just plain old mop n rubber. My point was, why is it either ladders or wfp ? It's not the pole I have anything against, it's what's fitted to the end of it and the technique used.

Poles are great but, what's wrong with learning how to trad with one, it's not impossible but, requires skill and effort to learn...why are wfp guys always trying to convert us tradders....could it be the want to hide the superior and proven method away from the world ? /emoticons/wink.png

Mart.
what makes you think i dont do first cleans on ladders? or have done trad for years? any way you stick to what you know (which isnt any thing related to water fed)
once you know any thing about it your comments may be taken on board, until then you just sound daft.

You've been asked to keep it civil mate, if you can't, then please run along.
He has a valid point though.

I was trad for over 10 years and converted WFP.

No system is perfect.

Lets see you clean a 60ft window with a wagtail or off a ladder.

Same goes for WFP, lets see someone clean silicone off glass with a wet brush.

Everybody believes they use the best system. So lets keep it like that.

And if it gets more heated ill lock it & call it a day. It's a forum for banter and helping others & we've been over this old chestnut to many times & always end in nastiness so it nice banter or lock up. Up to you.

If my comments have offended any one, I am man enough to apologise.

Sorry to any one who may or has been offended it was not my intention.

He has a valid point though.
Then I'm sorry I missed his point Damo. The only point I saw him making was that I don't know anything about wfp but, I didn't see anything in my original post that suggested I did.

Then I'm sorry I missed his point Damo. The only point I saw him making was that I don't know anything about wfp but, I didn't see anything in my original post that suggested I did.
You assumed he didn't do first cleans off ladders and hadn't done trad for years.

I hate ladder work now. But without trad we wouldn't be here now, so although I don't like it. I still respect the field.

If I came on here and started slagging trad, everyone would assume I have never done trad. Most WFP lads that use only know WFP and that's it. I have done both for years and years.

I don't think there was any offence from either parties & both made valid comments in my view. Just didn't want it getting into a full scale argument as had before. Keep the debate going but just keep it friendly thats all lads.

I've tried the wagtail on a pole & still trying to master it.

Back