Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Use Personal Car For Business? Correct Insurance?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

rcproperty

do you use a personal car fro your business and do you have business car insurance on it??

There are 4 categories that insurers use to rate you car usage;

• Social, Domestic & Pleasure - covers you for normal, every day type driving eg visting family and friends, going to the gym or shopping.
  • Commuting - additionally this covers you for commuting to and from your place of work and parking your car during the time you are at work, at a station for example.
  • Business use - is required if as part of your work day you use your car to travel to other business locations in addition to your normal place of work, for example for meetings or to visit clients.
  • Commercial Travelling - additionally covers your car if it is used for commercial activity, for example in a sales related business.

Always be honest with the insurer or broker as you provide information. Giving false or inaccurate information will only cause you problems in the event of a claim. eg if you opt for only social, domestic & pleasure use and then have a serious accident whilst using the car for business use, this could voild your insurance and you will not be covered for any accedent and then also be done for driving without insurance.

also if police do a spot check on the car and fine you dont have the right insurance for using it for business they could impound the car, fine you £200 minimum and give you upto 6 points on the licence.

Spot on mate. The ticket is a £200 fine and 6 points with the vehicle seizure. Your also liable for the recovery charge and daily storage charge of the said vehicle. This varies from different forces but it's not cheap.

Spot on mate. The ticket is a £200 fine and 6 points with the vehicle seizure. Your also liable for the recovery charge and daily storage charge of the said vehicle. This varies from different forces but it's not cheap.
forgot about those charges,

The recovery company set the charges and the Police have nothing to do with that side of things. as a guide line Charges have recently gone up to minimum of £150 recovery and £20 per day storage

I'm always upfront with insurance companies. Seen so many people get into trouble because they haven't had the correct insurance (if at all!).

What's the difference between Business Use and Commercial Travel? I use my car occasionally to visit a customer but insurers know about it. Didn't know there was a difference between the two.

Commercial Travelling:-

gives you cover if your job involves daily travel to clients and prospects to make sales, look after clients, etc - most usually relevant to sales people. not carrying tools and equipment in the car and covers you for having clients in the car and sale man type products

Business Use:-

allows you to use the car for your job, such as driving to meetings, between different work places, to conferences or training courses. carrying tools and equipment

i believe!

But realistically, I'll bet most of the cars you see with ladders on don't have insurance. Not just window cleaners, anyone who uses a ladder. Its like all these people delivering parcels for companies like Yodel and Hermes just using their own cars. If they had the proper insurance it would cost more than they earn.

But realistically, I'll bet most of the cars you see with ladders on don't have insurance. Not just window cleaners, anyone who uses a ladder. Its like all these people delivering parcels for companies like Yodel and Hermes just using their own cars. If they had the proper insurance it would cost more than they earn.
Yer you are right there. Even if they don't use ladders and carry just tools etc inside the car.

When my partner. Used to pick up a friends kid from nursery she had to upgrade the insurance to commercial insurance as it wasn't our child!!!

Hmm RC, I didn't know this!

Its not that I wanting to avoid to pay it, like some people do its that I didn't know this.

But I have told them I use it for window cleaning part time does that count?

Its not that I wanting to avoid to pay it, like some people do its that I didn't know this.

Well you have told them so all good!!

I'd have had to have declared for business if we start fostering apparently which I hadn't realised I'd have to do if didn't have business use anyway.

Yer you are right there. Even if they don't use ladders and carry just tools etc inside the car.

When my partner. Used to pick up a friends kid from nursery she had to upgrade the insurance to commercial insurance as it wasn't our child!!!
If you take a friend to the next village/town do you need to have commercial insurance? What happens if its a family member? I would assume thats okay? lol

If you take a friend to the next village/town do you need to have commercial insurance? What happens if its a family member? I would assume thats okay? lol
Yer know what you mean. But that would come up under the Social, Domestic & Pleasure one and be fine, think the others count if you get paid to do it.

Back