Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

cheapest waterproof paint to buy for van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

kev

Hi guys not been on for a while was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the cheapest way to waterproof my van i mean as in paint? Cheers

I used bitumen paint. It was cheap but it will flake off. I countered this by putting 2 coats of it down, cost about 12 quid a tin then put some thin ply over the top. Cost next to nowt as got the ply as off cuts off ebay

I seen it on your thread earlier but i dont fancy the colour and doesn't it smell like tar? I was looking at a masonry paint from screwfix it is grey and i'm sure i seen someone on here before mentioning that it does the job

Ok cool. My van is already ply lined and i seen someones setup on here before and he was saying to paint over the ply and it was fine on his van and looked good just cant remember the name of the paint.

I've just done the back of the lads van

It was ply lined so I gave it to coats of grey decking stain then 2 coats of yacht varnish which is designed for wood constantly sat in water

I then sealed all the edging with waterproof sealeant

It's interesting how you mention yacht varnish because i was having a look at that earlier so basically anything that is waterproof will do the job?

It's interesting how you mention yacht varnish because i was having a look at that earlier so basically anything that is waterproof will do the job?
Yacht varnish is very tough and durable designing for boats so is very waterproof

Some of the coloured paints will waterproof but after use chip and scratch and the look shabby

I used protekacote. I think it cost about £80 to give it four thick coats. This photo was taken before I painted the bulkhead. Each coat needed a good few days to dry because the weather was cold. It's horrible, messy stuff but is holding up well so far.

66b0ee0a81412f06ddcb8c9fec093f50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yacht varnish is very tough and durable designing for boats so is very waterproofSome of the coloured paints will waterproof but after use chip and scratch and the look shabby
Thanks for the tip mate

View attachment 7624 Not much help in terms of cheapest but I recommend speedliner had my van done .

Pretectocote and similar can take days to dry and has a habit of wearing down if you lift a lot of stuff in and out had mine done nearly 2 years ago and still looks like new and the van is back dry and ready to use in a day.

If I did mine again I would go with the above and get it speedliner'd. I used garage floor paint - applied two coats to the back and front of brand new ply out of the van, sealed around the edges with car body panel sealant then two more coats in situ. I also had a custom plastic tray fitted to keep my hose reel and other **** on. Paint started bubbling after a few weeks where pure has sat for a few hours. The floor ply seems soft in places too so I will be pulling it all out again soon and either putting fibreglass down or speedliner the lot. I'm finding out there are no shortcuts in this game, just invest in quality straight away and you will save money in the long run!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back