Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alternative to a control valve on a trolley system

G

Gazz K

Hi

I put together a trolley system using an old sack barrow, a water genie backpack, a hose reel from Wilko, and the other bits I got from Gardiners. Thanks to Adams 0211 and daveyboy1 for the pictures about their homemade trolley systems. The hose, fitments and everything else I got from Gardiners is top quality. I just find the control valve that I bought very hard to use and hold the pole at the same time. I end up leaving it on the floor more often than not which isn't in easy reach

Is it easier if the valve is duck taped to the pole or should I get an Aquatap / Aquastop fitting. They sound much easier to use. Are they easy to fit to the pole?

Get yourself a Uni-Valve from EX-Ceed. Fantastic bit of kit.

I used a trigger strapped to the pole for years, but wow, what a relief to get rid. Pole feels lighter and becomes more versatile as you can hold it anywhere and all that extra hose at your feet is gone.

I use a little plastic jg fitting tap on the end of the pole right next to the brush

When doing bottoms just twist on and off

When doing tops turn tap on and extend pole..doesn't waste much water in the time ot takes to extend and collapse pole

I thought it was a crazy idea when i first heard it on here but have used it for about 4 months now

My trolley system has now been dismantled as the trolley wasn't up to the job

Will have new gardiners backpack this week coming so will probably use it without a trolley after using one all day friday it was so quick and simple to use

Blimey its surprising that a control valve goes in that space between the brush and the top of the pole. My trolley system has been great. Got a heavy duty sack barrow that my brother used to do courier work with and stuck the backpack and hose reel on that. Got a water genie backpack and it doesn't have a handle on it like the Gardiners one which is an annoyance. Needed a backpack asap in Feb this year and Gardiners were out of stock of their one for long time so had to get a water genie. Does the job well enough though. Probably all made in the same factory anyway

Something else that might make your working day a little easier is to convert your pole to tubeless. Bit of a misnomer really as you still need the hose, its just that you can detach it from the pole easily when you're finished. As I also use a trolley, I find this really helpful. Not everyone does however. With your tap at the top of the pole, whether Univalve or JG this is easier to do than you might think. You can do it DIY or purchase a kit from Ex-Ceed.

I've been using a Gardiner backpack for just over two years...I normally just use the switch on the backpack to switch the flow in and off...have been toying with the idea of fitting a univalve.

Is there a controller on these backpacks that switches the pump off when the flow to the pole is shut off, because I can hear the pump pulsing when I shut the valve? I've been a bit wary about leaving the valve closed for a long time fearing that the pump may get burned out

I had similar concerns...I did read about someone that had aggravation with the pump when he fitted a univalve but the consensus was it was an old backpack that had seen better days.

The only issue with a backpack and univalve is if the water runs out and you turn the univalve off the pump is still running as no water in the pipe to dead end it

Just be carefull of that as i must have turned the univalve off at the same time the water ran out

Went off up the road to see if Damo needed a hand while all the time the pump was running on dry

Any backpack or trolley type system when it runs out of water will keep running till it's turned off whatever type tap is used to turn it off. I've never found it to be a real problem though. Just be aware as daveyboy says and if you leave it for a time, turn it off on the unit.

I've gone out to my van in the morning and heard a quiet ticking coming from the back of the van....backpack is ticking away on empty....lucky there wasn't too much water in the backpack or van would have been flooded....thought I might have knackered the pump but all seems to be well.

I've gone out to my van in the morning and heard a quiet ticking coming from the back of the van....backpack is ticking away on empty....lucky there wasn't too much water in the backpack or van would have been flooded....thought I might have knackered the pump but all seems to be well.
I've done the same with my freedom trolley a few times as well also with no problems.

Back