Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

i wonder?

steve garwood

ginger lion
I asked @mark on a recent thread this question, and was wondering what you peeps think? If I was to put a tiny plastic tap up near the brush, do you think this would stop water pouring out the pole hose when you disconnect because its causing a vacuum effect? I'm trying to eradicate the use of a tap at the end of the hose, which I only use for this purpose. I use a one click remote so getting rid of the tap between reel and pole hose would be handy. :thumbsup:

Why do you disconnect the pole hose so much?

Seems a common practice on here with many.

My main pole is my 18ft does 99% of the graft. Pretty much stays attached to the main hose all the time. I just wind the excess pole hose onto the main reel when packing up after a job.

Seems like a lot less hassle than disconnecting every time.

I have a reel either side of my van (I don't keep my reels at the back) so switch from one reel to the other depending which way I'm parked. I also use my trolley and backpack sometimes. Anyway, what do you think about the question?

It would defo work steve, but the best way Is to store the pole on roof of the van during work,'

But yeah I get some dribble from the brush head when it's been reeled in as well,

Brush head side green and Kevin, not pole hose connection

Yeah I know what you mean, tap would defo work! But it's just extra weight.......

Nice one Jake. Yeh I do store the pole on the edge of the roof rack whilst working, its just when putting it away at the end of the day

We always drain our pole hose down when we put the poles into the van.

We use Aquadapters and they work the same way as you want your tap to work but water will slowly drip from the connector if you don't drain it.

I asked @mark on a recent thread this question, and was wondering what you peeps think? If I was to put a tiny plastic tap up near the brush, do you think this would stop water pouring out the pole hose when you disconnect because its causing a vacuum effect? I'm trying to eradicate the use of a tap at the end of the hose, which I only use for this purpose. I use a one click remote so getting rid of the tap between reel and pole hose would be handy. :thumbsup:
You could insert a one-way valve in the pole hose inside the No.1 section. This may well act in the same way by not allowing the water to drain back out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you disconnect the pole hose so much?
Seems a common practice on here with many.

My main pole is my 18ft does 99% of the graft. Pretty much stays attached to the main hose all the time. I just wind the excess pole hose onto the main reel when packing up after a job.

Seems like a lot less hassle than disconnecting every time.

agree with green pro,i use the one shot but only disconnect the pole hose if i am changing poles,if you keep the pole hose attached to don't need the tap at all,just rectus or hoselok fittings
The only downside with this method of not disconnecting the pole hose from the reel hose and just reeling it back up is that it will start to store kinks and twists in the hose and lead to more twisted pole hose. It is good practice every so often to disconnect the pole hose from the reel hose and then loosely hand coil the pole hose up from the base of the pole allowing any loop and twists to drop and twist out of the pole hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Steve is talking about leaking out the brush head, which can't really be helped, it just drips from the water left in the pole hose,

The only downside with this method of not disconnecting the pole hose from the reel hose and just reeling it back up is that it will start to store kinks and twists in the hose and lead to more twisted pole hose. It is good practice every so often to disconnect the pole hose from the reel hose and then loosely hand coil the pole hose up from the base of the pole allowing any loop and twists to drop and twist out of the pole hose.
Do you sell them Alex, and if so, have you a link please

Oh I thought that's why you wanted a tap at the brush end!!

I that case, just don't unplug it? I always have one pole connected to the main hose...

@steve garwood

Hi mate, i do this myself. I have been using taps at the brush head for 5 plus years now. You are right on the vacuum theory, but! It will still leak a bit and dribble out the tail end. I converted all my brush heads, pole hose and taps to John Guest fittings. Best move i ever made.

The univalve will help as well.

i use gardiners taps under brush , quick to turn water off when needed.

you will always get a couple drips from the jets. just shake the pole before putting in van, shakes the excess water off brush

I use an AquaTap at the brush head (obviously),, and at the end of each day I disconnect the pole and open the Tap. The water then pours straight out of the pole hose, so Yes I reckon any kind of small Tap at the brush Head will release the water when open :thumbsup:

Back