Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo/soft wash guide/advice.

Diwrnach

OK so I keep seeing questions about hypo and soft washing etc so thought it might be a good idea to try and make a guide for people.

Now I am completely new to it, I have a 25l drum of hypo I have had for bloody ages and never used it as I always just pull the pressure washer out, but I have a tarmac drive with loads of moss on it next week I think hypo will be perfect for, so, lets have advice and mixtures for various jobs and surfaces and I will try and update this first post with it all to try and make a guide.

First off this is what I have, I got it from a local farm supplies shop, it was around £18 if memory serves. I believe you can also get this from swimming pool supply shops but not tried as I have a farm supply shop very local to me.

I also have a Matabi sprayer, its like the normal pump type prayers but it has viton seals, this is important as otherwise the hypo will eat the seals, these don't get eaten, it was around £30 I think? I can find a link to it if people are interested!

So, over to you hypo/soft wash experts.... (I am looking at you @Eviestevie )

List of surfaces and the recommended solution and application,

Slabs (patio/path/drive) -

Concrete -

Block paving -

Tarmac -

Conservatories -

Stone walls -

Give advice on each and I will add it, if you have any other surfaces that can be cleaned I will also add those.

Read algoclear is good for tarmac, but from my admittedly small amount of research it seems it is just a very weak hypo solution?

No

I use it flat out on Tarmac comes up brilliant and don't use a sprayer think more water can totally soak the drive it kills all on it thenpowerwash half the time To remove dead moss. If u any probs just ask

I done one before Easter real bad with moss

I sprayed it on a mon morn and cleaned Wednesday morning

I use it with water can and only added small amount water to dilute as I wanted a strong mix

I'd use algon on Tarmac pretreat couple days before

I think Tarmac is harder to clean the blocks,concrete etc

Once it's wet it looks clean so you have to make sure you cover every inch so when it drys it's clean

use a low pressure and never a turbo so there's no damage any soft spots and it will rip um up

You'll only see it when dry

I always use a Tarmac recolour and sealer it's not expensive about £55 for 20 l I pay and looks amazing better than the drive was laid

Tarmac no matter how clean it is I think looks **** unless coloured but that's my opinion

View attachment 7326

I'd use algon on Tarmac pretreat couple days beforeI think Tarmac is harder to clean the blocks,concrete etc

Once it's wet it looks clean so you have to make sure you cover every inch so when it drys it's clean

use a low pressure and never a turbo so there's no damage any soft spots and it will rip um up

I always use a Tarmac recolour and sealer it's not expensive about £55 for 20 l I pay and looks amazing better than the drive was laid

Tarmac no matter how clean it is I think looks **** unless coloured but that's my opinion
I did big K rend house clean - went great but - leaked hypo on Tarmac due to crappy reel

What's the stuff you use even Steven ..?

He said it looks like someone's been dogging round side of his house !! Not happy

was large tarmac drive raw hypo put down with water can then powerwashed few days later came up sweet

any tarmac drive i do the same as it is far easier to clean

Really? everywhere I look people say not to use hypo it takes the colour out.

Interesting, and you leave it down for a few days as well?

OK so I keep seeing questions about hypo and soft washing etc so thought it might be a good idea to try and make a guide for people.
Now I am completely new to it, I have a 25l drum of hypo I have had for bloody ages and never used it as I always just pull the pressure washer out, but I have a tarmac drive with loads of moss on it next week I think hypo will be perfect for, so, lets have advice and mixtures for various jobs and surfaces and I will try and update this first post with it all to try and make a guide.

First off this is what I have, I got it from a local farm supplies shop, it was around £18 if memory serves. I believe you can also get this from swimming pool supply shops but not tried as I have a farm supply shop very local to me.

I also have a Matabi sprayer, its like the normal pump type prayers but it has viton seals, this is important as otherwise the hypo will eat the seals, these don't get eaten, it was around £30 I think? I can find a link to it if people are interested!

So, over to you hypo/soft wash experts.... (I am looking at you @Eviestevie )

List of surfaces and the recommended solution and application,

Slabs (patio/path/drive) -

Concrete -

Block paving -

Tarmac -

Conservatories -

Stone walls -

Give advice on each and I will add it, if you have any other surfaces that can be cleaned I will also add those.
That's very weak stuff you bought so don't water it down more than 50/50 maybe 1/4 if just killing green algae

It won't shift the tough lichens

View attachment 7331

That's very weak stuff you bought so don't water it down more than 50/50 maybe 1/4 if just killing green algaeIt won't shift the tough lichens
Its what the local place had, had it for ages.

I'd use algon on Tarmac pretreat couple days beforeI think Tarmac is harder to clean the blocks,concrete etc

do you run algon through your washer or do you treat same principal as hypo?

To be honest I usually don't bother with tarmac drives I usually just tell them I don't do them, but this one I have Tuesday is a lot of block paving mixed in as well, so charged for the block paving then a little extra to just give the tarmac a quick run over, I did explain that, but thinking I might see if they want it re-done/sealed etc.

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, looking to start a soft washing biz in the spring, specifically specializing in driveways... been doing a bit of research, and notice that 'sodium percarbonate aka oxygen bleach' is not mentioned here in regards to cleaning?

Anyone here with any experience with this stuff sodium percarbonate?

TIA;)

Hi Guys,
I'm new here, looking to start a soft washing biz in the spring, specifically specializing in driveways... been doing a bit of research, and notice that 'sodium percarbonate aka oxygen bleach' is not mentioned here in regards to cleaning?

Anyone here with any experience with this stuff sodium percarbonate?

TIA;)
Welcome @Captain Peacock :thumbsup:

No personal experience with it but have heard a few mentiin it on Youtube. Jave you browsed there. ?

Back