Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beginner Starting out

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chrismls

Hi everyone, after a bit of advice. I am looking to start window cleaning by wfp and have bought a van and am about to buy necessary equipment. Just wondering if I should do any of the courses to teach you how to clean etc or is it a waste of time and should I just start and watch YouTube videos etc and learn on the job ? I am a total newbie and have no previous experience. Thanks in advance.

Welcome ? if you are struggling use the search function, chances are someone else has had the exact same issue.

A few tips. Watch out for vents! They trap muck and water and when you leave can then drop dirt down window and leave it a right mess.

Make sure you clean the frames extremely well on first cleans, even if frames don't look to bad.

Make sure to get under the frame between frame and cill. If you don't clean that out bits will cover the cill after you leave.

Use plenty of water on first cleans and don't try and save water on rinsing, even on regular jobs.

If you come across bird much it can go transparent and you can think it's gone. When you can no longer see it scrub it while counting to 10 to be sure.

And first cleans take forever! Can be 3, 4 or even 5x longer than regular clean. The first clean is what matters, after that is just a maintenance clean, so don't get demoralized of your your earnings are awful on first cleans it will get better.

Welcome and good luck

Reach out and get yourself some work experience - invaluable i built my business doing this and even recently went and worked for free again to learn from more qualified professionals

Just a general observation and not directed at you in particular @Chrismls

I'm still trying to figure out what attracts people to want to become window cleaners.

Just to add; my son was given a small window cleaning round to work on Saturdays by a friend who was a window cleaner. He did very little with it. A few months later, I lost my job, so developing his round was a way for me to earn some money to pay bills. I had no desire to be a window cleaner. But I'm still doing it 20 years later.

Last edited:
I think the attraction with window cleaning is that ladders are no longer required and that its a low cost way to dip your toe into being a sole trader. In the social media age you can build a round really easily sitting on your backside. Also its pretty unique in the way of regular work unlike most service businesses.

Back