Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Enquiry - First Job booked and advice needed already :D

M

MikeNW

Ive been gathering my kit for a while and been busy with other things, just about ready to start leafleting and knocking on doors! Got an enquiry tonight through local facebook page. Went for a look and booked it in £30 first clean, £16 4 weekly. Its a bit rural and I suspect I may have underpriced it a bit but I suppose with the first few thats bound to happen.

Anyway, the windows have a vent in the frames, little one dead centre. I have been practising with my pole, im happy I can get good results on standard windows but the vent is new to me!

Do I scrub with the water on? Will it pour down the inside? /emoticons/biggrin.png

Do I treat the vent differently on the first clean to the maintenance cleans?

All tips gratefully received! Off to raise a beer to my first job! /emoticons/biggrin.png :D

Mike

Vents are a PITA. I avoid going over them especially upper ones. With lower ones you can either wipe over with a cloth or go over with a pole, you'll be able to see if you get any runs and sort it. Can you get up a ladder and wipe them the first time?

My suggestion would be: Go round all the upstairs window frames first giving them a real good scrub and rinse, vents included. Try not to directly squirt water up the vents if you can. You could then if you wish go round all the bottom window frames the same. Remember frames only first time round. Then go back to where you started and clean the windows only this time around. You should only have to do this once hence your first clean price. On subsequent cleans, clean them together but just be careful around the vents. This works for me.

Clean them good and proper first time, then avoid them in future, if youre carefull it will be ages before they get dirty enough to warrant cleaning again. On a first clean, scrub top frame inc vent, rinse off, drop pole down and put a microfibre on the brush, back up and dry top frame n vent. flick pole, microfibre drops off, clean glass and rinse. next window repeat

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated! I dont need to turn the water off when scrubbing the top frame then? I had visions of water squirting into every room! /emoticons/biggrin.png Pretty sure that wouldnt go down too well.

I dont need to turn the water off when scrubbing the top frame then? I had visions of water squirting into every room! /emoticons/biggrin.png Pretty sure that wouldnt go down too well.
Can be tricky if you can't shut the windows. If you can ask customer to close windows on the first clean. If the windows are really bad then I apply something like a diluted solution of viro-sol to the brush, apply it to the frames with a little water, then scrub without water running. Otherwise the soap is washed off before it has a chance to work. However, if you are using viro-sol don't let it dry on the frames as it can cause staining. I only use soap if I feel I have to though as it to will leave marks if not entirely rinsed off.

i think you can squirt water through the vents, but ive never had it happen or at least no ones ever complained and ive always cleaned them on full flow lol. Maybe you will have to find that one out for yourself mate.

With first cleans most people will say do all the frames then go back and do all the glass, i have found the microfibre method to be quicker, doing the top frames, quick wipe, glass and do each window once. but you can only decide whats best yourself with experience. What suits one wont suit another.

Still new to the wfp myself, but at the moment I have decided to trad all first cleans. It seems less of a faff to me, but we'll see how I feel about that in a few months time.

I do a combination still on first cleans. Get up close with the Virosol, scrub with a dish brush so I get all the nooks and crannies, wipe over the sills top and bottom with upvc cleaner then wfp the lot. Takes longer but I still haven't lost a customer yet!! With the vents - agree with Gav, scrub till clean - rinse from above until water runs clear, move on to the next window then go back to rinse from below with a gentle flow then rinse the rest of the window, still clean them every time with no problems. I don't Trad fully as if the customer is in they will question why I am using a squeegee when I have convinced them that splashing water about is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back