Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Traditional to waterfed transition

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris33

Ok lads

I'm ready to bite the bullet and do this.

I'm looking to order a second backpack tonight. The gardiner one looks fine,is this what you'd recommend?

Also pole wise I want the best. As this will be used more in the future when i go van mount so I'm thinking slx 24 from daqua. I'd probs go van mount right now but it's only gona take 400 litres in rear and I wana see how I get on doing ups wfp anyway.

Now the highest building I currently clean is accessible without my 24 foot ladders even being fully extended so that'll be fine yeah? Reach of 30 foot I think it is on that slx.

Speak to me about trolleys guys, @daveyboy I mind you making your own. Will this backpack I mention simply bungee cord onto one and is there an easy way to store the hose?

Lastly I have a ply lined van and want to coat it. I recall hearing some on here saying that there was a better product out there than protectakote?

Spend the money on a van mount... 350l should last you the day if you trad bottoms... it can be done cheap enough, and it'll all be transferable when you change to a larger van/tank...

I'd definitely recommend the SLX, get the biggest you can afford, I have the 35 plus an extension, you'll appreciate having the extra length when you get that job that no one else can do and it helps for velux windows.

If you're even considering a trolley system I would personally forget the backpack and make a trolley. Iif you purchased a pump, flow controller, battery box, some 25 ltr water carriers then you'll have a better system than a backpack and you'll have some of the gear (pump, controller and battery) already when you want to transition to a van mounted system.

I've heard some people use a rubber paint from toolstation, Ive just ordered Protectacote to do my new van, I prefer not to cut costs these days. It's a false economy in the long run.

Spend the money on a van mount... 350l should last you the day if you trad bottoms... it can be done cheap enough, and it'll all be transferable when you change to a larger van/tank...
This is also true, just get the 350 ltr tank. Probably the best advice

@High\-tower my worry was I will want a big ass van at some point and not only 350 litre of water a day etc. Could I keep the 350 and run two of them In a bigger van eventually do you mean?

Yeah just go for it Chris get the van mount and DIY it, No point in buying twice.

Also buy the biggest pole you can afford, you can just take the bottom sections off to save the weight.

@High\-tower my worry was I will want a big ass van at some point and not only 350 litre of water a day etc. Could I keep the 350 and run two of them In a bigger van eventually do you mean?
Yes in theory you could do that, but pumps, controllers, hose reels, batteries etc can all just be transferred onto your new/larger system.

Right that's decided then. I'm off to see Doug at daqua tomorrow afternoon or day after @doug atkinson

Something I've been meant to do for a while! Partner 750 won't take a 500 litre tank though no?

I'd definitely recommend the SLX, get the biggest you can afford, I have the 35 plus an extension, you'll appreciate having the extra length when you get that job that no one else can do and it helps for velux windows.
If you're even considering a trolley system I would personally forgot the backpack and make a trolley if you purchased a pump, flow controller, battery box, some 25 ltr water carriers then you'll have a better system than a backpack and you'll have some of the gear (pump, controller and battery) already when you want to transition to a van mounted system.

I've heard some people use a rubber paint from toolstation, Ive just ordered Protectacote to do my new van, I prefer not to cut costs these days. It's a false economy in the long run.
Sorry to disagree with @steele but if you're going down the trolley route - definitely just grab a Gardiner's backpack and strap it up to a trolley. I've been using a folding one from Aldi that cost £15 and that's lasted all year - I can fit it in the boot of my car. Making your own won't save much and just causes issues, wish I'd known that 3 years ago!

Bungee cord and ratchet strap keeps mine solid. Never had a single problem.

However @Chris33 if you've got a van and a 400L tank - why not go van mount???

Right that's decided then. I'm off to see Doug at daqua tomorrow afternoon or day after @doug atkinson
Something I've been meant to do for a while! Partner 750 won't take a 500 litre tank though no?
I had a partner 800 with a full ro 500l system and that was fine depending what else you carry.

@Hawke I wanted to go van mount at some point. It was inevitable. I just didn't think about all those goodies that are transferable into a larger van either. Hence why trolley made sense.

I was hoping to fit more than 400 litres in my van but probs unlikely.

Are the electric reels worth while?

If you built a trolley like on jimmyboots thread "heavy duty trolley/ van mount"

It wouldn't cost much but because it is made with a good pump and controller (same controller i use) it can be placed in a van next to a tank and be used as a van mount or taken out if needed

Van mounts are so easy to make for peanuts as adamangler showed yesterday

Just add a controller to what he did and you have a functioning wfp van

You can just put a backpack on a trolley which a few of us have done but to be honest doing just tops once you get the hang of it you can do a few houses with 1 backpack full so easy to only have it half full max and just carry it to where you need it with 15-20m of hose on it

@High\-tower my ppm is only 55 so will be di only. I would only have a 15 foot set of ladders and trad bucket and few scrims.

Leaving my big ladders at home.

55ppm lucky boy

400l tank would be plenty

I do a full day with no more than 6 25l drums just tops so that is only 150l for around 18 houses

Even when new to it 400l will be more than enough

Chris so glad to hear your going wfp, first of all you will need pure water lol all depending on your Circumstances have you got the access at home to install a RO and have a static water storage tank ?

Static tank works great for me as I can park my van next to my static and transfer to van in literally a couple of minutes. So I have a delivery only system this is my preferred method I only have a 325 tank installed which isn't a problem as if I run out of water (never happened yet) all my work is really local so can easily nip home plus I carry several 25 litre drum for my backpack, which I could pour into my tank if need.

The other option is to have your RO and DI system installed on your van which might suit your needs better.

I have a van mount,trolley and back pack.99% of the time it's the van mount that gets used the odd job the back pack will get used.so my advise is go van mount long term you will be glad you did.

In terms of who to use for me it is Gardiner and Grippa all the way you will be very hard pushed to find a better product or customer service than these two.

For floor protection I have speedliner expensive but a quality product.

I like both Chris

I have access issue jobs and ones suited to van mount

However i have a getto system i made for my car so use 100m hose on a reel with sureflow pump and spring controller and feed it from 25l drums and i use that for everything..even going through houses

@Hawke I wanted to go van mount at some point. It was inevitable. I just didn't think about all those goodies that are transferable into a larger van either. Hence why trolley made sense.
I was hoping to fit more than 400 litres in my van but probs unlikely.

Are the electric reels worth while?
55ppm lucky boy
400l tank would be plenty

I do a full day with no more than 6 25l drums just tops so that is only 150l for around 18 houses

Even when new to it 400l will be more than enough
@Chris33 enjoys our beautiful soft water! :thumbsup:

Agree with @daveyboy check out the vid. Buying a pump and switch and wiring doesn't need to cost a lot - about the same as a new backpack in fact.

So if you've got the van and tank, go for it mate! Don't think you'll look back!

TBH id stick with 350-400 as you can just fill with tap water and filter as it pumps, you can always fill up again at home while you have a brew if your work is local.

Back