Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scrim or microfibre?

wink2202

I know this question has been asked before but not recently I don't think?! Which do you prefer to use? I've just started out and so far I think the microfibre is better...simply because it doesn't leave behind any fibres like a scrim seems too. (The scrim I've used is a pre-washed A grade by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have always used microfibre find them good. Recently discovered i got a scrim but i cant get it to work properly though.

View attachment 5188

Have always used microfibre find them good. Recently discovered i got a scrim but i cant get it to work properly though.
they can take several washes before they start working. at first they dont absorb water very well. the fibres need breaking in

also it seems every batch of Unger grade A scrim is different,different by a long way too. some are like sackcloth can take weeks to break in but some are fine as silk break in a day or two . i recently bought 3 packs x 10 from www.cleaningstuff.co.uk to replace a few id had 8 yrs , [god what other cloth lasts 8 yrs and still ok but getting holey] and these new ones are very good not like sackcloth

i cart about 50 scrim into my van each day in a garden waste sack ,shared among 4 workers and wash about the same each evening drying on racks well its my missus does this chore mostly .reminds me i must replace a broken rack iv seen a beaut of a rack on sale in ipswich has alloy tubes instead of wires will possibly get one "as a real treat" for the missus this wkend and try it out

we dont use a seperate sill cloth cos it takes too long to change cloths is my experience so use a scrim for everything .

Last edited:
Okay must wash them some more then washed it couple of times, and the fabric is like a rough sackcloth, maybe i have just got a bad one. Thanks for the advice

Why take that many scrims when all your guys could get away with about 5 wilkos microfibres each for a days work maximum..if you hang the damp ones to dry in the van probably only need a couple each

90 deg wash your scrim a few times

more you use scrim better it gets and less fibres

i use paragon micro as recommended by @mrtaytay for leads and waffle for frames work great

i was able to wash my detailing(remember that) scrims with my microfibre cloths and monsoon scrubber all together and had no problem using them

i do think micro details slightly better but scrim is tougher can be dried over hot radiators and dont shrink when washed in a too hot wash :rolleyes: yeah tried that

micros come in prettier colours than scrim

its old school v new school :laugh:

I dry my micros over the radiators if i need to..don't hurt..i have been warned about tumble dryers though so haven't tried that

I'm a microfibre man! Nowt wrong with scrim really, just prefer microfibres.

Washing line, airers, radiators, draped over kitchen chairs. Tumble dryer's broken anyway!

I used scrims for 15 years and as others say u need to break them in and some take longer than others, the older they getbthe better they get and then they get holy and die

However iuse both these days, a scrim for frames and sills and a microfiber for detailing any glass my squeegee did t quite get.

I would recommend lots of broken in scrims and just two or three decent microfibers, i have used some good unger ones the past few years, not one has a hole yet

No reason to spend time doing something that can be done in a flash /emoticons/smile.png i dry mine middle to high warm for 45-60 minutes (60 pcs)

i wack my micro's in the tumble dryer full pelt the do srink a tuch but never had a prob they still wrk onky dory [delusional]

Thanks for all your input. It seems it's very much 50 50 so I'm going to play around with both and see what works best for me [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back