Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does This Stop Freezing On Glass?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

stevelewis

Ive been told by a window cleaner in my town that if u want water to stop freezing on the glass just add half a capfull of methalated spirits, just wondered if this was true? Not had any freezing of yet but its on the way lads

Screen wash is a lot better, it cleans the glass and stops freezing!

Metholyted spirits and anti freeze, well, all am bothered about is will it smear or leave a film on the the glass..

Mentholated spirits will never smear as it will completely evaporate within about 4 minutes and as its alcohol based, it will stop freezing

Cheers lads gunna grab a couple if bottles on my way home now cause its gunna be -8 where im workin tomorrow! Not good

Mentholated spirits will never smear as it will completely evaporate within about 4 minutes and as its alcohol based, it will stop freezing
I use it to clean lasers Dave undiluted does leave a whitish residue that I have to wipe away with a cotton bud but yeah can be used as an antifreeze and won't affect pure water in the amounts you'd be putting in. There are better things though, trad I'd go with Gmeisters screen wash and wfp Methanol/methyl alcohol, I'm no expert but I have read a lot lol.

Screen wash is a lot better, it cleans the glass and stops freezing!

Metholyted spirits and anti freeze, well, all am bothered about is will it smear or leave a film on the the glass..
Used anti-freeze a few winters and never had any trouble with it at all.

I use it to clean lasers Dave undiluted does leave a whitish residue that I have to wipe away with a cotton bud but yeah can be used as an antifreeze and won't affect pure water in the amounts you'd be putting in. There are better things though, trad I'd go with Gmeisters screen wash and wfp Methanol/methyl alcohol, I'm no expert but I have read a lot lol.
Are you thinking of white spirits ??

Hmmm weird, never had a trace left on our stuff.

We used to use it at my dad companies before sticking labels etc onto panels, reason we used it is because it doesn't leave a residue lol

It's very faint dave, I've actually stopped using it in favour of pure water. Tiny bit on a bud works a treat, still buff it with another bud but I don't need to buy meths anymore /emoticons/smile.png

Cheers for advice guys, ive brought a couple of bottles of meths and screen wash so i,ll see whats best tomorrow and let u all know, gotta feeling i,ll need them anyway, out in the sticks tomorrow so gunna be a good couple degrees colder than towns or cities :-(

Cheers for advice guys, ive brought a couple of bottles of meths and screen wash so i,ll see whats best tomorrow and let u all know, gotta feeling i,ll need them anyway, out in the sticks tomorrow so gunna be a good couple degrees colder than towns or cities :-(

Dont know why my last message got sent 4 times! Think forums running a bit slow on my phone, not desperate for a chat with someone or owt! Lol :)

Back