Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to use a micro fibre properly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Been finding that with glass gleam 3 (one part in a thousand) even my old scrims don't leave fibres. I think this really does leave an antistatic charge of some kind on the glass

Been finding that with glass gleam 3 (one part in a thousand) even my old scrims don't leave fibres. I think this really does leave an antistatic charge of some kind on the glass
Nice1

I wanna open a new thread about detergents - please post in it! (y)

The best cloth ever for detailing IMO were Paragon's light blue Micofibre cloths. They don't make them anymore as I discovered when I had to re-order :-(
I wrote to them explaining my predicament, and they said the firm that made them for them went bust!

I find the new darker blue one's okay, but not as perfect and the light blue they did.

I use fish scale to replace my scrim around the edges, but still prefer a scrim for detailing in bright sun thru the window.

I found the Green Unger Microfibre to be the worst I've tried for detailing. I use em for cleaning my van now.View attachment 7321

The bottom one is the old & best one imo.
Can't agree more regarding the unger green. Bought a bunch of the small ones for approx 3.92£ a piece. Just to find out that they are :turd:. Thought unger stuff were supposed to be professional grade tools...

Ordered a some samples from Paragon. And they are much better. Shipping will be a killer though. (Live in Sweden.)

Unger are not as good as they used to be imo

All their tools are a bit shoddy nowadays

Shame as i used to swear by unger

I have a load of different size channels and handles i no longer use

I use ettore handles and my wagtail now

Can't agree more regarding the unger green. Bought a bunch of the small ones for approx 3.92£ a piece. Just to find out that they are :turd:. Thought unger stuff were supposed to be professional grade tools...
Ordered a some samples from Paragon. And they are much better. Shipping will be a killer though. (Live in Sweden.)
I think you'll find the paragons are much more absorbent than the microwipes. But the paragons (new ones at least) leave much more fibres.

Also, unger don't even make the microwipes. You can clearly see many other companies OEM these things. imo, the microwipes are the best thing for cleaning a leaded window without leaving fibres.

I just wish they'd make them with both sides soft. The hard side just pushes water about mostly and is only good for scrubbing

trick is the spot u are polishing wet it with your finger it will stop the friction that makes the fibers rub off and dont do it in a hot window.

u can try newspaper aswell

Ordered a bunch of Paragon fishscales! Tried one yesterday all exited like. Wow really great for detailing, very absorbent, then tried on leaded window, again great job but oh no what's this? Catches all over it :eek: Ok so don't use them on leads then, but even on normal windows I'm still catching it and pulling out threads! God elp me if I catch it on a rose bush!

Oh well, I shall use them until they are no more, then order some standard micros from Paragon. :rolleyes:

Not all micros are great for detailing.I personally use the paragon fishscale as a few do on here or a micro called the waffle. Both great for detailing.

You will get a few more on here telling you what they use then its just trial & error what's best for you. As I said some micros are rubbish for detailing.

Saying that a lot still use the scrim.
I don't use microfiber cloths now, but I have received one as a free gift in an order from windowcleaningstuff. It's quite fluffy and bright yellow and I've just looked at Paragon to see these;

http://www.paragonmicrofibre.com/cloths Are these the ones? Standard general purpose 250 gsm eco-wipe

For detailing work you need ones that when you hold up to the sun you don't see spots of light all over it..then you know the fibres are tight enough together

The ones on that link are only good for wiping sills

i was useing linen cloth that worked great. then i tried micro fibre. it was terrible it stuck to glass and left sparkly bits.then my wife brought a big pack of micro fiber cloths for her domestic cleaning business they were on special from "super cheap auto" (dont know if they are in uk ) any how i tried them out on the windows and they worked brilliant no glitter and no drag. my opinion is shop around because these micro were dirt cheap and i am tired of paying top dollar for expensive branded products.for example boab cost a fortune for what it is.scrappers with safety covers that dont stay on and stuff that has to have mods done to work right(darn sorry i am getting off the topic of your thread) i will go and have a cup of tea and a vape!

Must just be me that uses old towels cut up to size then. I have 2 cloths on me, 1 damp for wiping frames and one for detailing. When the detailing one gets damp is use that for the frames and get fresh for detailing keeping that rotation.

Then stick them in washing machine on a boil with powder but no conditioner and they're great

Must just be me that uses old towels cut up to size then. I have 2 cloths on me, 1 damp for wiping frames and one for detailing. When the detailing one gets damp is use that for the frames and get fresh for detailing keeping that rotation.
Then stick them in washing machine on a boil with powder but no conditioner and they're great
i still use my linen cloths on certain jobs like first cleans the real mucky jobs. some of my linen are old tea towels with prints of castles of ireland and stuff like that. doesnt look very professional but i love them because i have had them since i first started and they are still going strong. i will be interested to see how my micro fiber cloths last and perform over time with heavy use.

The bright sparkly bits tend to occur when a micro glass cloth is new (ish). The more hammer and washes the cloth gets, the less likely you are to get the sparkly bits.

Want to change over to microfiber fed up with leaving lint on windows, but every time I try a mircofibre cloth for detailing it tends to leave "sparkly bits "am I supposed to use damp or dry
You always use them dry, whenever it becomes slightly damp you use another one.

Might be worth buying pre-washed ones since they dont leave the sparky bits you described! good luck mate

Back