Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello from Dorset

• Thread starter Another Clean Window
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

A

Another Clean Window

Hello everyone how's things?

I've been reading around on the forum for the last couple of months, joined up a couple of weeks back, great forum with lots of information that has kept me going till now.

I've been a scaffolder for the last 14 years and been trying to get out of it ever since, had countless failed businesses but this seems to be the best one so far and the most easiest to get customers.

Been window cleaning for just over a month now, got myself a loan, bought a van, kitted it out with wfp, trad and gutter vac, a few bits for gutter clearances, yell website and I'm off.

Admittedly I've not got enough work to quit my full time job just yet but scaffolding is what is paying for more equipment now the loan money has run out, still need sign writing, looking at conservatory ladders, longer poles that sort of thing.

Never the less I'm picking up new customers all the time and getting them signed up for six weekly cleans so my customer base is slowly growing.

It's like most people don't even think about getting there Windows cleaned till you mention it, after the first go with the wfp and they see how clean it looks they are hooked.

Popped into Costa a couple of weeks back and mentioned how dirty the Windows looked and left a card, the next week went back for a coffee and was asked if it was me that left my card, I was told I was very polite and friendly and they were very interested in hiring me, asked for a price and put me on the spot, I was a bit flustered and tried to count up and price for inside and outside and came out with £50, think I was a bit high now I look back and plus the fact I've not heard since but it was a nice compliment to hear and definitely helped my confidence.

I'm sure it's not all going to be this easy but it's a promising start to a new venture, like I say all my other businesses failed miserably.

That's enough about me nice to meet you all

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Like a lot things the hardest step is actually going out there and getting started. Sounds like you're doing OK.

Whereabouts are you in Dorset?

It hasn't been easy but it's been enjoyable, kitted the van out myself and I love those sorts of projects so it was a good experience.

It doesn't help the evenings are getting darker earlier now as well so not going to be great cleaning after work in another couple of months time, need to get enough work lined up each week so I can take days off work each week to do jobs.

Pita trying to organise this around work lol

I'm in Poole

It hasn't been easy but it's been enjoyable, kitted the van out myself and I love those sorts of projects so it was a good experience.It doesn't help the evenings are getting darker earlier now as well so not going to be great cleaning after work in another couple of months time, need to get enough work lined up each week so I can take days off work each week to do jobs.

Pita trying to organise this around work lol

I'm in Poole

I am in swanage which isn't far from Poole, I would seriously think about canvassing round here. I have never seen so many dirty windows in one area. There are plenty oap in swanage which is a big plus.

You're lucky to be living in Dorset, I would love to drop everything and move to bournemouth from London if I could.

Yeah I know the area well, used to work for a company called swanage and Dorset scaffolding before it was taken over by a crook, we used to work in swanage most days, lovely area and like you say loads of old people.

I think your right though sounds like a good place to go canvassing, although the traffic in and out in the summer is a nightmare

I think it is, oap are normally the best customers and there are loads of three story's houses up the hills near the bay which is perfect for wfp.

Besides summer is over now and the only the traffic I noticed was queuing up to get onto to the ferry at sandbank, I got to put up with traffic in London 7 day a week all year round!

There are quite a few holidays homes out here which you probably already know, my uncle let out his holiday home out most of the year when he isn't using it. He's got someone from a cleaning company come round to clean the house but they don't clean outside windows.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Sounds promising, might be worth putting an add in the local swanage rag and see what happens.

The weather over there can be totally different to where I am and it's not that far from here, loads of rain and salt water, should be able to sign at least a few people up over that way.

Back