Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

looking for a smoother fine weave micro fibre

mrtaytay

I have spent the whole of today cleaning leaded windows. My practice is to applicate the windows, squeegee, wipe off the water with one fine weave micro fibre and then buff up with another fine weave. I have noticed that some of the fine weave micro fibres that I have recently purchased from paragon and unger dont glide easily across the glass.....they seem to stick and have friction.Some of the older micros that I have glide so easily across the windows which makes cleaning leaded windows so much easier. I wash them all the same way, in the washing machine with washing powder.....I know fabric conditioner is a no no.

Does anyone know of a fine weave micro that slides and glides across the glass with ease.

The way I do leaded now is a damp micro then a dry micro and finally a polish with either a dry scrim or a fine micro like the unger but found wilkinsons where selling some that almost the same but cheaper!

Yes, I'm pretty sure these are the ones I use http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/contico-microfibre-jumbo-cloth-60x80cm-p-641.html?cPath=57_24 deffo got them from Wintecs though. Remember the Unger ones that glided? I got them from Wintecs too, but couldn't get them after.
Cheers tuffers. I might give them a go. I brought an unger premium cloth from the windowclean centre a few weeks ago. Its no good for buffing up as it seems to stick to the glass....maybe a few more washes will bed it in. I seem to recall sometime ago on this forum that someone was raving about vikan premium micros.

The way I do leaded now is a damp micro then a dry micro and finally a polish with either a dry scrim or a fine micro like the unger but found wilkinsons where selling some that almost the same but cheaper!
There are a few different ways when it comes to leaded windows. It was a real pain doing them yesterday as it was windy and the sunshine was quite warm which meant they were drying up quicker than I was mopping them up with the micro. Its so easy to leave them with streaks/marks, if you are not careful.

try buffing with dry scrim that has been washed with no washing powder
Must admit norm, I have never used a scrim. I have a couple of fine weave micros that glide smoothly over the glass. I am just concerned that should I lose these (and I am good at losing bits of kit!) then I will be left with the fine weaves that arent acting as they should.

There are a few different ways when it comes to leaded windows. It was a real pain doing them yesterday as it was windy and the sunshine was quite warm which meant they were drying up quicker than I was mopping them up with the micro. Its so easy to leave them with streaks/marks, if you are not careful.
i had that the other day where the sun dried the dampness off but i found it helped as the dry micro took all the dirt off and polished with a clean dry scrim left them perfect.

i used to use the applicator and squeegee but found with leaded windows the raised lead just holds too much water that the squeegee doesnt get too making it take longer to dry the window before i could finally polish it if needed!

Must admit norm, I have never used a scrim. I have a couple of fine weave micros that glide smoothly over the glass. I am just concerned that should I lose these (and I am good at losing bits of kit!) then I will be left with the fine weaves that arent acting as they should.
try the scrim and I think you will be pleasantly suprised mate

i agree norm, i struggled with my scrims at first but worked out to wash them on hot with no tablets or powder etc then rough them up while theyre drying so theyre nice and soft when dry, i fold the big ones up into a small square and use that for polishing off and they work a treat.

i had that the other day where the sun dried the dampness off but i found it helped as the dry micro took all the dirt off and polished with a clean dry scrim left them perfect.i used to use the applicator and squeegee but found with leaded windows the raised lead just holds too much water that the squeegee doesnt get too making it take longer to dry the window before i could finally polish it if needed!
I use a squeegee In winter when the windows dont dry quickly, but around this time of year just use applicator and cloths. I find the first cloth, which is a big fine weave, remains a little damp, but not soaking, helps to rid the window of any marks or smears. If its really dry and warm then the final buff with a dry cloth doesnt always remove the marks. Its a fine balance with leaded windows. Think I have too many

i agree norm, i struggled with my scrims at first but worked out to wash them on hot with no tablets or powder etc then rough them up while theyre drying so theyre nice and soft when dry, i fold the big ones up into a small square and use that for polishing off and they work a treat.
yeah @cheshire window cleaning sweet as

I'm always looking looking for new cloths as not a great lover of scrims. May order a couple of them waffle ones. Yeah they do look like the fishscale. I like em because I use em & I bring them in & dry em on the radiator & there good for next day. I do this all week & never get marks although dont do a lot of detailing.

Its always a bit of a treat getting a new piece of kit, even if its only a new cloth. Posh, have you found that the fishscale has got better with time ?. I think most of the fine weaves are better after a bit of hammer and a few washes.

On the subject of detailing, I can remember when I first started, I used to detail with those cheap crappy micros that get soggy after one window. I must have left more marks and smears lol

Back