Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Helping a friend

WCF

Help Support WCF:

sjwhite

A friend has asked me if I can work for him using my own van/water to help him catch up with his own round. He's offered me £120 for the day 8:30-5pm. I Have to pay my own tax, so would end up with £100. I know it's his customers but Does this seem reasonable or should I ask for more money? Not sure what the going rate is.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

It depends

How busy you are

How much work you will have to do to earn that 120 squid

How far you need to travel in your own van

How good a mate he is

Would you earn that yourself in a day

Would you be happy to earn that

No one but you has the answer to this one

Just one day to help him catch up....not very far behind then.

If it were a good mate would do it for £100 cash plus any travel expenses just to help out.

ive a guy doing a week for me this week , hes in a plain van and is a good hand at the job working as per the norm as my staff would with the jobs

what he earns I will turn into cash at the end of the week and I will pay the vat and tax on it all , hes doing me a very good turn so why should he have to pay the off takes , like you

There is no "going rate"

Do you want to do it for £120 or not?

If it just one day and you have the time why not? It's not going to hurt. If hes a mate and that's what he's offering its likely what he thinks is fair...

If you're asking "what's the going rate" then he's not a mate is he? If a "mate" asks me "can you help me out here - I'll give you £100" then it don't matter to me what the "going rate" is. The only question is - will it cost me more than £100 to help him out.. If you're asking what the going rate is then it's a business transaction and you have to weigh up the pros and cons longer term.

Having said that why should you work for him for £120 if your earning him £250 say....you should get what you earn for him.

I clean a lot of customers for others. For regular cleaning I always ask for accord(?) pay rather than a fixed hourly rate, though it often ends up about the same in the end. When I use my own equipment and car a fair deal is usually a 80/20 split.

If it's a mate in trouble, I would've done it for free.

I clean a lot of customers for others. For regular cleaning I always ask for accord(?) pay rather than a fixed hourly rate, though it often ends up about the same in the end. When I use my own equipment and car a fair deal is usually a 80/20 split.
If it's a mate in trouble, I would've done it for free.
80/20 is a good rate if the prices are okay ! Thats what i charge if i help Out , or 28-30 pounds Per hour.

Back