Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with tricky trad windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How are you getting on mate? Starting to earn some pennies?
Not bad mate, no customers yet. Ladders have only just arrived so been up em today having a bash.

Not sure if it is me being anal and really looking at the windows like I haven't before, but I am noticing quite a few really fine scratches on the glass. I am not sure if I am being paranoid or if it is actually me scratching the glass!!!!! I don't know how I could possibly be causing it as my applicator has not been on the floor and the squeegee cannot be the cause or can it?

A lot of windows have scratches on them

It's only when you look close you will see them

Not bad mate, no customers yet. Ladders have only just arrived so been up em today having a bash.
Not sure if it is me being anal and really looking at the windows like I haven't before, but I am noticing quite a few really fine scratches on the glass. I am not sure if I am being paranoid or if it is actually me scratching the glass!!!!! I don't know how I could possibly be causing it as my applicator has not been on the floor and the squeegee cannot be the cause or can it?
When i started to clean Windows, i was the same as you. I thougt that i scratch windows, but sometimes you dont se Old scrathes becuse the Windows are dirty. I realized it when i clean brand new windows one day. It had no scratches after i was done.

Dont worry,

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah it's fairly common to find that mate. It won't be you causing it with an applicator sleeve. I've dropped mine in to sandy soil before and given it a quick rinse and carried on. No damage done. Unless you're up there scraping off bird mess with a coin then you won't be doing any damage.

Though you should get insurance once you're up and running cos people can blame you for all sorts, and the odd accident can happen (I've put through a window before or broken people's garden furniture). Just peace of mind for you.

And that day will come when you actually do scratch a window, in that case I never stare directly at it( if they're in) just move on . It could be you , or any other windy . :whistle:

Yeah it's fairly common to find that mate. It won't be you causing it with an applicator sleeve. I've dropped mine in to sandy soil before and given it a quick rinse and carried on. No damage done. Unless you're up there scraping off bird mess with a coin then you won't be doing any damage.
Though you should get insurance once you're up and running cos people can blame you for all sorts, and the odd accident can happen (I've put through a window before or broken people's garden furniture). Just peace of mind for you.
Cheers, that is reassuring. I think it must just be me being paranoid.

First day looking for business today, dropped a few leaflets and did 4 quotes. Picked up two of them 1 @ £10 which I forgot to ask how often they wanted them lol and the other at £13 every 8 weeks (may have under quoted on this one). Waiting for replies on the other two.

I also have 2 quotes to do tomorrow. Not a bad start at all /emoticons/smile.png

First day looking for business today, dropped a few leaflets and did 4 quotes. Picked up two of them 1 @ £10 which I forgot to ask how often they wanted them lol and the other at £13 every 8 weeks (may have under quoted on this one). Waiting for replies on the other two.
I also have 2 quotes to do tomorrow. Not a bad start at all /emoticons/smile.png
Everyone has to start somewhere, good work mate. Here's to 5 days a week and a load of money in your back burner

Everyone has to start somewhere, good work mate. Here's to 5 days a week and a load of money in your back burner
Cheers mate. Signed up another one today at £11.00 every 8 weeks.

Did my first cleans today, Could have done without customers being in mind as I couldn't even keep my squeegee on the glass. Took me bloody ages to do, but I think I was being stupidy picky and did each window about 3 times!

Did my first cleans today, Could have done without customers being in mind as I couldn't even keep my squeegee on the glass. Took me bloody ages to do, but I think I was being stupidy picky and did each window about 3 times!
I remember being like that at the start. At lest you are doing them right

That will work in your favour as they will think your meticulous and thorough also if you do a good job they will recommend you.

I remember being like that at the start. At lest you are doing them right
They seemed pretty happy and paid up which was a good feeling. Fingers crossed they are still happy when the sunsets and reveals all!

That will work in your favour as they will think your meticulous and thorough also if you do a good job they will recommend you.
Yes, this is what I was thinking all seemed happy enough. Didn't help that all the windows were completely filthy. I will be knocking and leafleting around my customers a week before I do them again to try and keep things as compact as possible.

Confidence will come over time and you'll barely ever check because you're so comfortable with your method mate. Well done /emoticons/smile.png

Back