Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

To Buy Or Not To Buy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

N

NEW Bhoy

I've just taken over a window cleaning round it has about 700 customers mostly large domestic and a mix of rural and and small towns the lads have been using trad since forever and I wanted to improve things and get the round running quicker, at the moment its taking over 8 weeks to get one round done using 2-3 guys.

I've spotted this vivaro with a brodex system already fitted and was wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for, pitfalls with this system?

http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/vauxhall/vivaro/2009-vauxhall-vivaro-2-0cdti-90ps-van-2-9t-c-w-window-cleaning-equipment-diesel-stockport-vfpa-8a71c26c3662a8ef0136c5c22f077088

I only inherited the business after a previous partnership went **** up and work full time as an engineer so wont be using the kit myself, so far the business is due me about 20k and I'm not sure if I want to go throwing good money after bad but I can see a good business in ther yet if its runing properly with plenty of room for expansion

Any constructive advice greatfully received

That's a very good price for a van with that mileage and system.

Always check as it's a private buy there is no HP against the van as I know someone who was caught short and lost a fair amount of money.

Don't take their word for it,pay to get it checked.

I've just taken over a window cleaning round it has about 700 customers mostly large domestic and a mix of rural and and small towns the lads have been using trad since forever and I wanted to improve things and get the round running quicker, at the moment its taking over 8 weeks to get one round done using 2-3 guys.

I've spotted this vivaro with a brodex system already fitted and was wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for, pitfalls with this system?

http://vans.autotrad...136c5c22f077088

I only inherited the business after a previous partnership went **** up and work full time as an engineer so wont be using the kit myself, so far the business is due me about 20k and I'm not sure if I want to go throwing good money after bad but I can see a good business in ther yet if its runing properly with plenty of room for expansion

20k? Why so much mate, if you dont mind me asking

http://vans.autotrad...136c5c22f077088

if the round is trad only your going to lose a lot of customers converting to wfp mate

You would also need an ro system if the area you cover is hard water as that setup looks to me as just a DI 650 tank.

To be honest I would not buy brodex gear but hey that's just my opinion as others may like them....

20k? Why so much mate, if you dont mind me asking
Bought it for the missus last year cause she wanted to run it paid over the odds for it then she ran it like a hobby costing me more money every month, then she realised she'd made an **** of it and dropped it like a stone now I,m left out of pocket and looking to either get shot of it and get some of my money back or turn it into a decent business

Oh aye and smurf its in scotland so should be soft water

how many lads you employ,

whats the turn over monthly/8 weeks

what cycle are the cleans meant to be on,

how many rounds is it?

as these will help you decide what to do with the business and van

Some parts of Aberdeenshire the water is around 90/100 ppm so local lads use an r/o unit.

The system is a good solid system, the downside is some of the parts you have to source through Brodex. Their service can sometimes be hit and miss as I have customers coming in asking me to sort out their systems as they have been waiting days for a part.

As you employ people as lot of companies will use Brodex poles due to the price, they wouldn't trust their employee with a expensive pole.

A 2009 van you can get for around £6k + vat, a good quality system for 2 men you can get one for around £2950.

it should be running at 6 weeks taking about £6400 per round only one round.

did have two lads but have just taken on a youngster to help the lads get caught up, alot of the time there are two lads on one ladder (one holding at the bottom obviously) due to awkward access so the youngster can free up the more experienced lads, but was thinkin the poles would negate this anyway and would let me target more commercial work.

The other problem is I have quite a stressful time consuming job as it is so would rather just get it all set up properly and let the lads get on with it or get rid.

I do have good honest lads tho so can see them working it themselves and jsut doing the paper workmyself

cheers for the info on the water I'll need to get a tester, how long does it take to get the system fitted to the van and does it include the waterproofing

One of the things I liked about that van was just buying it and getting on with it

if it was me, i would get 2 smaller vans ie berlingo, and send them out on there own and have the young lad float between them, split the round in 2 and make 2 rounds, make diy systems and buy clx poles,

Fitting a system will take a whole day. The under coating would need to be done the day before.

I wouldn't advise on a DIY system as you employ whereas a fitted system will give you more protection. DIY system is okay for the sole user as you are taking the risk.

Good system which we fit here in Scotland is the Grippa Tank for the professional end of the market. We also do our own systems.

You also have Peter Fogwill based in Edinburgh who does his own systems.

Or other option buy all the bits and get a local fabricator to make you a frame and get it fitted yourself.

I'd be inclined to get shut if I were you. They may be good lads but you really go need to be on the ball with your business. If you can't give if 100% then it's only going to give you grief in the long run.

It may seem like a good idea but the business won't run itself.

Just my opinion mind.

Dave

i have just reread what you put regarding numbers and turn over, thats 1 mans work really wfp, i would either employ 1 man or sell up

Back