Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Turned A Mile Stone!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gushysfella

Cleaned last custy to day at 1600, the 500th one on my books! that's a 12 week rota made up of 4, 6, 8 week cleans spread over 8 rounds covering the east of the island. join me in a beer if you like I'm having a few!! Monday's back to week 1 comes round quick dun it!!

Thanks to very one ere for the advise and help, best move I ever made GF

nice one! time does fly past when your busy, sometimes i wonder if im due, it seems that quick... how long you been going for?

Thanks Belfast started April part time then seriously in June been flat out ever since!! Got a young girl working for me 2 days a week and I'm jacking my paye job feb 1st then I can really start! Got some heavy plans set for 2013!!

Cleaned last custy to day at 1600, the 500th one on my books! that's a 12 week rota made up of 4, 6, 8 week cleans spread over 8 rounds covering the east of the island. join me in a beer if you like I'm having a few!! Monday's back to week 1 comes round quick dun it!!

Thanks to very one ere for the advise and help, best move I ever made GF
It does come round very quick!

Well done.

What has been best for gaining customers?

Thanks Belfast started April part time then seriously in June been flat out ever since!! Got a young girl working for me 2 days a week and I'm jacking my paye job feb 1st then I can really start! Got some heavy plans set for 2013!!
No wonder time goes so quick working 2 jobs! That's great going for 5 months mate!! How is the girl finding window cleaning? Iv only ever seen 2 women windys!!

Thanks for the comments lads, been a hard slog but well worth it! Yer I work for someone PAYE but I’m very lucky in the fact that I have a non fixed contract in respect to the hours I work, during the summer I work till the works done, this time of the year if there’s nothing needs doing then just call outs really. I get paid a salary regardless of the hours so weighs it’s self out, and with a little bending of the rules I’ve managed to wangle it that I’ve put in the hours at work, and grown my rounds. But it’s starting to take it’s take it’s tole to be honest, since April I’ve worked 7 days a week so the plan is to ditch the PAYE early next year and crack on developing my business.

It does come round very quick!

Well done.

What has been best for gaining customers?

Gaining Customers, the golden question! 500 regular cleans since April, spit between 4 to 12 week cleans? If I was asked before I started think I would have thought it impossible myself!! Since leaving the army I’ve done a few things but up until my current job I was a car detailer, believe me the £800 car wash is well and truly over but a few years ago I was booked up for well over a year never having to look for work, all I’ve done is use the same advertising ideas as I did when I started with a polishing rag! Think out the box..........How many times do you see a broken window or guttering while out on your rounds? I’ve split the Island into 12 areas and in each area I have a found a local firm, not a large one but a small local firm who fit or mend windows, I recommend them, they recommend me and it works. With the fact many people aren’t moving but having extensions or conservatory’s built I’ve picked up loads of work this way. Network, recommend any service that will recommend you, gardeners, carpet cleaners the list is endless. I pay to clean 9 news agents windows!! Most if not all newsagents have paperboys, and if you ask they all employ a lad or have someone to set out there rounds, sorting the papers and magazines out. I clean their windows for free and pay the wage of ever who sorts the papers. In every case it’s a few quid a week, about 100 total for all 9 shops but they stick a flyer in every paper that comes out there door, about 11’000 papers a week in total. With just a normal run of the mill printer from PC World I can print 5000 A5 flyers for £18 quid of ink and paper, you just can’t canvases for that price. Target your customers but your true customers, who are you really going to clean for? There are three main types of residential custy, 1 the old they can’t do it. But have a lot of time on their hands, many oap’s have a fantastic social life, advertise in church halls, tea shops, parish newsletters and at church halls / village halls. Doctors surgeries are a good one too!! 2, people at work all day, now this list is endless! But big employers, super markets for instance have canteens / rest rooms for staff, have a word with managers, (an offer of a free clean at their pad works well) and then flyer there notice boards. NHS have a discount news letter that goes out with their wage slips, contact the HR department at your local Trust head quarters and they will put you a free advert in, I didn’t relies there is 26’000 nhs staff on the island, that’s a lot of windows! Ring your local Avon, Betterware, Klean easy rep and have a coffee with them, they drop off leaflets everywhere weekly! Slip they a few quid and they drop off your flyers!! And lastly stand out in a crowed, I got a few polos made up that in large letters say on the back, “need a window cleaner? You need me” then my number underneath, felt a t**t the first time I went shopping in it but after getting stopped four times in Tesco’s and asked for a card I realised it worked!!

But don’t just limit yourself to a quick window clean, where there’s muck there’s money! Last Sunday I went out conversing an area I’d leaflet dropped and picked up 11 houses for windows, 3 driveway jet washes and 4 gutter cleans a hot tub pump out and wipe out and a green house wash down totalling over £800 worth of work. If it was just the windows I’d have about £150.

No wonder time goes so quick working 2 jobs! That's great going for 5 months mate!! How is the girl finding window cleaning? Iv only ever seen 2 women windys!!

LOL Claire well she’s a one off!! I was first introduced to her at the top of a ladder. She’s a bloody good worker and I’ve found that some of the older custy feel safer with a lady doing their windows, but yer she’s the olny women windy I know too!

Mate that is the best bit of sound advise I've heard for marketing in forever lol
Mate I've had loads of help and advise from this forum there's some fantastic members here, if it helps reading my rambles then glad it helps!!!

But I'll never forget that my position is very lucky that I have little or no competition here on the island and my average clean is well above most if not all i have ever read about on here. Saying that I've ran my own businesses before 100% effort is all you need and will succeed! Good luck mate GF

the newspaper idea is class mate ! u got a very good business brain gushyfella /emoticons/wink.png

Back