Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Was Your First Pole?

brightvision

knowing that lots of new starters come here for advice and tips I thought I'd ask what your first pole was?

I only started last month so its nice and fresh for me. I needed something cheap and something big so that I didn't have to refuse a job for the sake of one reasonably easy to reach window, so I opted for a Brodex 31ft Hydra. Brodex seem to have a decent reputation and the price was bang on for what I wanted to spend. I'd got a good length pole for a good price and having collected it myself it came fully assembled and ready to use (I don't know if this would be standard if it got delivered out though).

This pole feels like it is indestructible but its far heavier than is ideal. Because this was my only pole I would have to use it for every window, but 31 feet of ally is a ball ache on ground floor windows!!!

Anyhoo, due diligence on my first round purchase showed up a good number of customers who were more than two months overdue, refusing to pay for these meant I was going home with an extra £400 in my pocket. I decided that I would invest some of this in getting the 2nd pole earlier than I had anticipated. So I went for the Gardiner CLX22 with a carbon 10" gooseneck. Wow, what a difference! so light and no effort whatsoever to clean any of my windows. I've spent 3 weeks doing my own windows every day whilst I fiddle about with my kit, but this time around I was doing them because I wanted to, it really is a pleasure to work with compared to the heavier Hydra.

I can't knock the Hydra because I knew I was getting a pole nearly twice as long as I needed for bread and butter windows, and I chose the heavier construction to save money but I now don't look forward to those odd occasions when I will have to use it!

The Brodex cost me £96 + vat complete and assembled

The CLX cost me £169 + vat unassembled and with the carbon gooseneck, hot hose and connectors/flow vale of my choice

First was a Harris may she rest in pieces. Now use an SL-X 22 and love it. Also looking at something bigger as well.

mine was a 18 foot red fiber glass one that I found on the street a few blocks away.

It had been used for a while but lasted me 6 months before I bought a new one and left it in my street, it was snapped up within hours.

well i,m all set for next week starting. CLX 18 is the pole i,m using

had problem with the controller yesterday but sorted

been practicing yesterday all finger and thumbs to be honest, water every where but first go.

will be needing bigger pole also was thinking of 30

I use a brodex hydra 31f and love it.

Ive has other poles and this alloy pole is far better.

I have taken the last two sections off . They stay in the van and if I need them I just slide them back on. Takes 30 seconds....!!!!

The poles alot lighter without them sections on and can still reach third floor windows on newer style houses.

Give it a try

I use a brodex hydra 31f and love it.

Ive has other poles and this alloy pole is far better.

I have taken the last two sections off . They stay in the van and if I need them I just slide them back on. Takes 30 seconds....!!!!

The poles alot lighter without them sections on and can still reach third floor windows on newer style houses.

Give it a try
Can u reach 3rd floor windows without last two sections or is that with the whole pole?

Started with the xtel range from pure freedom and a vikan brush. After a few months of reading how light these gardiner and facelift poles were I started to get the urge to change (although I never thought half a kg could make such a difference!) now using an slx 25 and couldn't believe the difference even with a sill brush rather than the extreme range.

My first wfp was a Tucker pole. Heavy aluminum pole that was 45ft. Did a 3 1/2 story nursing home with it and although my shoulders hurt for a week after the job I would never have taken the gig if I had to use a ladder. That was 10 year ago and I never looked back. I'm currently using a Gardiner 30ft SL-X and couldn't be happier.

extreme 25 with extension to 30ft if needed.

This covers all my domestic work.

started in june this year, and the pole is a cracker.

There again I don't have experience of any other pole.

rs2315.

Back