Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best ladder position

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I always use mitts. Find it scratches the Coll & leaves tiny black marks if I don't. Also feel safer with them on as feel they grip the wall hence less chance of sliding down. Mine fit very tight on my ladder. Slight sloping roof in the way go over the window. Normal window go on sill. If window is very tall wfp backpack. Need to be prepared for all obsticals.

Yes it is light, it does shift the balance point when carrying,but is not much. the guybought my round off had a bolt on standoff n it felt like a small child was hanging on the end when carrying it.

Yes it is light, it does shift the balance point when carrying,but is not much. the guybought my round off had a bolt on standoff n it felt like a small child was hanging on the end when carrying it.
/emoticons/biggrin.png yeah could believe that probably one of those big boned kids too

well worth considering this bit of kit

i too like the look of that standoff . in photo number 4 i can see it would stop a ladder kicking out in winter if used as in the foto

couple of yrs ago i saw a windie with a small similar sized homemade mini standoff [made of wood}, i wish id taken a closer look , as i believe theyd be very useful

me being cheapncheerful bought....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADDER-STAND-OFF-V-SHAPE-DIRECT-FROM-MANUFACTURE-/180622612707?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item2a0df258e3

looks really solid...should get a test very soon....

not so sure about ..._BabyFeedingUtensils in the header....
I have one of those cnc. They are pretty good but make the ladder a bit top heavy. I am looking to upgrade, to be honest. I am liking the look of the standoff that windowsurfer referred to earlier. They can make difficult windows so much easier and safer to clean.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I must admit, I have been thinking and reviewing the way in which I use my ladder......all with a view for making things safer. I am trying not to stretch, lean or go one step further up to the naughty step.....when your balance doesnt feel good. With a lot of the taller windows I have started to position the ladder above the window, or, if thats not possible, then use a stand off to improve access. It just feels a lot safer. If needs be, then I will use a pole.

I also noticed, during the world cup, when I was late to bed most nights, my balance wasnt helped by feeling tired and "heady".

i always put my ladder on in thehe window sill , no mitts. you have to be very aware of the chance of ladder sideways slip with this method , however doing it this way it means you have no problem reaching the tops of the upper windows
Mitts are great for stopping the ladder from slipping, but they can get In the way. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

one firm in the area where i work always places the top tip of the ladder above the upper window ,on the top frame itself or above on the fascia . i can see that this is a very safe method with no stretching ever needed
downside is you need to be carrying around quite big ladders all day long.
Its a good method. Only thing Is, if you place your ladder on the top part of the frame and have mitts, then it can make space tight at the top of the glass. increasingly, I have a preference to place the ladder above the window, normally achievable with a titan 6.1 m ladder.

I also noticed, during the world cup, when I was late to bed most nights, my balance wasnt helped by feeling tired and "heady".
Tiredness is the worst

Done it a few times after bad nights sleep

Reckon I would have better judgement if I was p##$$ d

Those @cheapncheerful standoff's that cnc has bought also the same looking ankalad wheeled version are pants and down right dangerous to use as they have been know to collapse. The one I had started to give way and bent inwards so you never seem me get down from me ladder so quick. Was one of those man pants moments I can tell you. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Latest Posts

Back