Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Oops Another Mishap Today

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Smurf

While loading my onmi guttervac into my van earlier on after a late job I managed somehow to drop it and the plastic trolley base broke in half away from the vac /emoticons/sad.png

Maybe rc as I feel totally knackered tonight /emoticons/biggrin.png

maybe your getting to old for the job now! lol
No jimbob as it is a crappy star make that onmi stopped selling shortly after I brought it a few years ago.

Never mind as I have two more guttervacs so will be ok to work tomorrow /emoticons/wink.png

Will probably mount that broken one on a diy trolley base when I get time. Might even work out less expensive to look out for a knackered vac that I can use the base or might just get instead a heavy duty sack truck with folding handle as found they are better moving 3 motor vac about on gravel drives etc. /emoticons/biggrin.png

ooh not good can you get spares for it?

I am not sure if it can be done but I did think it a while ago but could you put a extra motor on a vac and make it more powerfull ?

Thanks Mark, all depends on the size of the motors as all are different. So some just don't fit into the plastic head assembly properly.

I've got two 4200 watt guttervacs plus another 3000 watt guttervac. You can also swap over just the heads as omni and ets 3 motor type vacs as I've found out will fit both stainless steel trolley bases too.

Because most of my work I do is gutter clearing & exterior property deep clean so have built up a collection over the years,

They are ok but ideally need to run them from a 6kva generator as when you use mains power with all three motors running for any length of time puts too much load on a 16 amp socket.

To be honest just using a 3000 watt triple type vac I've found work well enough for most 2 storey jobs I do now. Also is sometimes quicker to clear sods out by hand especially in corners as using a guttervac it can't get under the flashing to unblock the guttering properly. Slipped tile and narrow gaps etc can also a problem using a guttervac too.

good idea putting it on something with better wheels on like you said there a mare dragging them over gravel especially when they've got a bit in them some nice chunky heavy duty wheels would be handy tbh you would of thought someone would of brought one out with big wheels on already

Indeed jimbob as I've used a sack truck to get the vac over gravel before and found it much easier

I will be looking around for another heavy duty sack truck this time with folding handles so would fit upright in my berlingo van.

Good luck on sorting it out, have you got the carbon poles for the guttervac. A friend has just bought a second hand guttervac from another window cleaner who upgraded.

Apparently he's got carbon poles and their very light compared to the omni vac. Wondered what there're like to use on a daily basis?

Three carbon poles weigh around the same as 1 metal pole.

The bore is smaller than most metal poles (around the 44-50mm mark)

They really really need cleaning after every job on the inside,

It just like using a wfp tbh. Best bit is they are a lot warmer and easier to use.

I was looking into getting carbon poles to try but after hearing from others that use them did put me off somewhat.

One lad got through 2 sets of grippa tank poles in less than one year. By the way they so happens to be made by gardiners

Main issues that have been raised using carbon poles

1. can split & break easily - not good for me as I throw my kit about

2. joints constantly keep sticking - would drive me bonkers

3. sections can come apart when being used – not good

one poor lad was doing a 3 storey commercial job and managed to get the top section with head and cam attached to it stuck in a downspout. The top section was left sticking out in a precarious state for a couple of days until he managed to get hold of a long enough ladder to retrieve it. Needless to say the safety officer of that company was none too pleased.

Anyone else had bad experiences using carbon poles that you would like to share?

Does not sound like a good option until they iron out the problems. I'm like you a bit heavy handed, broke my handbrake cable the other day. That's the 4 handbrake I've broken since I was 13 and that one pulled out of the body of the car coming off a low loader.

Probably best to stick with the aluminium for a while...

Any other comments out there?

Indeed....

To be honest even though carbon is obviously not so heavy to use which is a good thing they don't seem to be that suitable or durable enough to me to be used as everyday guttervac poles. I would be very peeved indeed after shelling out a few hundred quid only to find out they were not upto the job.

After saying that I would be willing to trial any suppliers carbon guttervac poles for an unbiased review too.

Back