Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

-0 & under

Ash Griffiths

Hey guys,

So, the weather has been kinda savage the last few days-water been freezing so havent got heaps of work done.

Couple of questions for you-

Standard non heated system users- What do you guys tend to do to keep the water flowing? Anything i can employ other than a heated system?

Any of you run heated systems,do you have issues with windows cracking due to temperature difference?

Hope youre all smashing it out.

Have a cracker of a weekend

I use cold. I put an oil filled rad in the back over night when temps go below -2

First house this morning glass froze on porch.

If temps are very low while working try and keep the water moving through your hose as much as poss. Moving water won't freeze as quick as standing water.

It's nearly spring!

I have worked in temps around -2 all day in winter and have used hot water at around 35-45 degrees. I've not cracked a pane yet in nine years. That's working on residential properties that include unheated front porches an a few connys. You don't need it to be that warm to keep you working but it warms your kit up enough to notice in your hands. Yesterday I had ice form around the angle adapter behind the brush but only there, so was able to work a good day.

I use cold. I put an oil filled rad in the back over night when temps go below -2
First house this morning glass froze on porch.

If temps are very low while working try and keep the water moving through your hose as much as poss. Moving water won't freeze as quick as standing water.

It's nearly spring!
Pretty much the same as this. The only difference is that I leave my oil filled rad on full blast overnight if I expect the temp to drop below freezing. It's nice not to have to scrape the windows in the morning and it dries out any drops from the previous day. I think I'm going to look into setting up hot water in time for next winter. Just got to figure out exactly how to incorporate it with the system I have in place.

Agree with Marko 067 ! I go to about 50 degrees max. All this cracking Windows are Way more feared than common. I havent neither any of the other heated cleaners i know , they all go to 40-50 degrees year round. Must say ive heard a bit of cracking in older wooden frames ,so have others i know ,during Really cold weather using hot.

We run the boiler flat out what ever the temperature never cracked a window Evan on frosty mornings , maybe just been lucky ???

My dad used to always tell me never to put hot water in a car windscreen to defrost it incase it cracked. Dnot know if its all a bit of an old wives tale or what but I know I've put hot water on my car loads of times no problems.

Thing is warm water is fine by the time water in a tank at 35 degrees is running through 100m of hose on the ground that is at -5 with air temp of -2 then it will be fairly warm water by the time it hits the glass ,

Most idiots in the past defrosting their windscreens will have no doubt stuck the kettle boiled water to over 50 degrees and chucked it straight on a frozen windscreen and cracked it, Now because of the warnings the same idiots scrape about 12 square inches of their windscreen and happily drive to work boils my P~~S :mad:

I only use cold. I read on here that once the window has frozen keep cleaning it and it will remove the frozen water and be fine. You will use more water but at least you are still working

Cleaned a conservatory roof 2 fridays ago when it was still freezing on every panel at 10am

It's ok if you run enough water down the glass first to bring the temperature up and then you can scrub and rinse like normal

Back