Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

3 Storey Challenge

WCF

Help Support WCF:

T

The Gutter Goblin

Got this gutter clearing job to do! Its not clear but there are plants growing out of them including the downpipe.

View attachment 4086

Its about 7.5m up to gutter level. House is about 9m wide.

My current thinking is using my 7.5m 3 section ladder with stay, ankalad stabilisers, all on ladder mats, set up at left hand side of downpipe, safety harness for me and lanyard fixed to ladder.

Progutter in both directions from central point and fill bucket. Take my time.

Or vacuum from ground and hope I get all the muck out

Any constructive input is welcome, please.

View attachment 2368

Yes it is an option, although a Cherry picker is about £100 for 1 days hire (min) round here.

That won't leave much left for me!

Doesn't really seem worth it for 9m long, although what price do you put on safety.

Could you use a cherry picker instead?

I take it you already given the customer a price then?

Put it this way you are going to struggle like hell to do that from ladders and/or by guttervac.

The 3 storey bit is just part of a holiday cottage complex that I am doing - there are a couple of 2 storey converted barns behind that need doing and I have priced it based on 2 days work rather than just the 3 storey bit although I don't think it'll take 2 days.

If it was at a normal 2 storey I wouldn't think twice about working from a ladder - so if you are up there at 5m or 7.5m whats the difference?

The SKY installers are regularly up at ridge level on a gable end and I know they now drill an eyelet into your wall to secure their ladders to but I would argue I will be safer with stabilisers etc. They dont wear a harness either.

Not doing it until December so I've plenty of time to think/plan it.

I take it you already given the customer a price then?

Put it this way you are going to struggle like hell to do that from ladders and/or by guttervac.

if u have the stablers on ladder and a microlite stand off u will b fine just dont look down lol maby wrth getin a full harness kit 4 xtra corshen as u dont wana fall frm that hight, i take it its only to gutters as it has a apex on both ends

I know I'm jesting gutter goblin but have you ever worked from a ladder at that roofline height before?

I know I'm jesting gutter goblin but have you ever worked from a ladder at that roofline height before?
yes m8 i used to wrk for a guy a mate realy for 4 an a half years doing 4 story on ladder in teignmouth town cleaning windows im a chicken now tho as im wfp 70 percent of the time but ill give any thing a bash every one i new thault i was nuts as nuffen used to werry me when it came to ladders not any more tho lol

Only done a few smaller jobs at that height before including replacing a gutter and brackets.

Its not something I reallly promote or encourage but sometimes a job comes along and it hinges on being able to do this sort of thing and you pick up extras as well!

You could say its its a challenge and rise to it (as safely as possible) or say its foolish and not bother. I'm not afraid to turn jobs down (and have done) but its in my own village and would prefer to be seen as a doer.

At some point working at that height will always be your first job, however, I am experienced at doing the work just not at that height.

Hi Tench, I will be wearing a harness and won't be looking down!

I'm only doing the gutters at eaves level.

if u have the stablers on ladder and a microlite stand off u will b fine just dont look down lol maby wrth getin a full harness kit 4 xtra corshen as u dont wana fall frm that hight, i take it its only to gutters as it has a apex on both ends

Two days struggling or one day with a cherry....you can earn the cherry picker money working the next day on another job.....no brainer

Two days struggling or one day with a cherry....you can earn the cherry picker money working the next day on another job.....no brainer

Plus you get to play with a cherry picker!

The 3 storey bit in the pic will take no more than one-two hours (if that) including set up.

I would spend half a day picking up and returning a cherry picker and learning how to use it and hoping I don't tw4t the house with it. The rest of the job is either inaccessible by cherry picker or easily reachable by 5m ladder.

I can't see how a cherry picker makes things that much quicker either, they don't set themselves up and do the work for you! For me, in this instance, its a non starter, but thanks for your input.

However, a cherry picker would of course be safer.

It's your call at the end of the day how you go about doing that job.

Good luck & keep safe :Image9:

Ta, just read Norm's post and I don't know if I want to go out the house now! And only 5ft up!

It's your call at the end of the day how you go about doing that job.

Good luck & keep safe :Image9:

Can happen to the best of us and happens more often than ppl think but sadly some are not so lucky

At least norm was lucky to survive to tell his story of what a plonker he was :Image3:

Back