Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can You Clean Them The Old Way?

JBC88

Hi guys got a txt today from a customer i cleaned their windows 3week back and they are asking if i can clean windows old way rather than pole cs pole leaves them streaky and water has killed our plants?..lol so i replied saying let me find out why they are streaking and sort it cos iv cleaned them with pole 4yrs so they shudnt streak and water cant kill plants cos theres no chemicals init.

Her reply was theyve been streaking for ages just not got round to telling you anyway if you cant do them old way my husband will clean them from now on.

How would you respond? I cant understand why they would streak cos water sheets of glass when rinsing or why suddenly now she tells me i think not got round to telling me is an excuse.

Hi guys got a txt today from a customer i cleaned their windows 3week back and they are asking if i can clean windows old way rather than pole cs pole leaves them streaky and water has killed our plants?..lol so i replied saying let me find out why they are streaking and sort it cos iv cleaned them with pole 4yrs so they shudnt streak and water cant kill plants cos theres no chemicals init.

Her reply was theyve been streaking for ages just not got round to telling you anyway if you cant do them old way my husband will clean them from now on.

How would you respond? I cant understand why they would streak cos water sheets of glass when rinsing or why suddenly now she tells me i think not got round to telling me is an excuse.
Do you do trad and wfp?If you do then you get your ladders out and get on with it.

If your just wfp then explain that you only use wfp and she'll have to find a trad cleaner.

Be polite and clear when you give her your explanation.

TBH the reasons she's given are a bit lame, and even if you trad the windows, sounds like she'd find something else to moan about.

Your always going to get this sort of situation now and again, the knack is to handle it correctly.

HTH.

rs2315.

Ignore it IMHO and move on. Don't waste your time continuing the conversation and looking for an answer.

You will never know the real reason for her cancelling but suspect it has something to do with money.

Clean then for free with the pole and wait for them

To dry.

I would want to know why they are doing that tbh.

Plus if customer is talking out of her.....

You will catch her out.

Just turn and clean them.

Clean then for free with the pole and wait for them

To dry.

I would want to know why they are doing that tbh.

Plus if customer is talking out of her.....

You will catch her out.

Just turn and clean them.
Good idea will offer it.i do wanna know where they are streaking cos that can indicate why they are but shes reluctant.dunno if anything to do with money shes just sold a house. Ill offer to clean for free n if it fails ill tell her to let husband do them.in time it takes to clean the house trad i cud clean 3 house wfp so not worth hassle...what technique do u use when cleaning with wfp? Maybe mines wrong n only sum customers notice...i clean top lip of frame just above glass then scrub side frames and bottom after that acrub glass vertically across then rinse side to side staying 1inch away from top of frame so it doesnt xatch any muck at very top of frame and run down...i do all top windows 1st on the back of house then bottoms and work round to front.

Good idea will offer it.i do wanna know where they are streaking cos that can indicate why they are but shes reluctant.dunno if anything to do with money shes just sold a house. Ill offer to clean for free n if it fails ill tell her to let husband do them.in time it takes to clean the house trad i cud clean 3 house wfp so not worth hassle...what technique do u use when cleaning with wfp? Maybe mines wrong n only sum customers notice...i clean top lip of frame just above glass then scrub side frames and bottom after that acrub glass vertically across then rinse side to side staying 1inch away from top of frame so it doesnt xatch any muck at very top of frame and run down...i do all top windows 1st on the back of house then bottoms and work round to front.
How are you going to solve the dead plants story/issue?
There are some UPVC frames on south facing windows that seem to oxidise in the sun. If I am late cleaning then I usually give the top frames a scrub and wipe off any water drops that are still on the frame with the brush and no flow. Then clean the windows as normal.

I have one other new customer that has had umpteen window cleaners over the years and they have all had streaking issues on all windows. The problem was that the top frame on the upper windows is very shallow as the fascia is low. (I expect the fascia has been fitted over a wooden fascia many years ago.) I have found that our normal brushes weren't cleaning the dirt off the top of the frame as the bristles were restricted with the brush stock up against the low fascia. Water spraying off the jets brought the muck down as streaks. We don't have the problem using the Gardiner Extreme brush as it is very narrow.

I have changed over to a Gardiner sill brush a few days ago, and wouldn't be surprised if we get the problem reoccuring.

If your customer was complaining about streaks only, then it would be worth the investigation. Otherwise as per my previous reply - you aren't doing anything wrong - just forget it is my advice.

you got a few choices

1, clean there way, and spend longer doing them and hating it

2, trad bottoms and wfp tops and tell her you cant trad the tops due to insurance, as insurance doesnt cover use of ladders for window cleaning, as wfp is around and H and S state that the safest method has to be used ie wfp, as if you had a fall you would have to sue them

3 dump and walk away, as hubby is thinking you are making a fortune and wants you to earn your money

i would do no 3

you got a few choices

1, clean there way, and spend longer doing them and hating it

2, trad bottoms and wfp tops and tell her you cant trad the tops due to insurance, as insurance doesnt cover use of ladders for window cleaning, as wfp is around and H and S state that the safest method has to be used ie wfp, as if you had a fall you would have to sue them

3 dump and walk away, as hubby is thinking you are making a fortune and wants you to earn your money

i would do no 3
Exactly what I would do.

JBC88

You have a few choices and quite different advice.

I know what we would do and works for us.

Good luck /emoticons/smile.png

Go back like damo mentioned and clean them again for free to find out if they have a genuine complaint or not.

I make sure all customers know the health and safety guidelines.

On 6th April 2005 the HSE published the new Work at Height Legislation.

If a risk assessment shows that a reasonable alternative method can be used. In the window cleaning industry we now have water fed poles which means there is now little requirement to work from ladders.

The new legislation also requires that the customer should ensure that any work carried out by a contractor you employ is complying with these regulations.

In Summary

The customer must ensure that no work is carried out at height unless there is no other safe and practical way in which to carry out the job or you could be prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive.

All customers should be aware of the work at height legislation.

So in other words as you use poles no you should not be doing them the old way. Doing so could result in you being pulled from a job if health and safety see you.

Suggest you have a read http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/regulations.htm read number 17 21 and 22

We feel your pain brother. We have all been there and it hurts your pride and self doubt kicks in.
I had one last month and he said streaks were on the front bottom windows. I doubted him. I said I'd come back and check after I'd done the house over the road. Sure enough they had streaked! The reason? They are old wooden sash and water was getting in the gaps at the top of the frame and mixing with dust and running down. I was glad I got to the bottom of it and not lost the custom through me doubting him. I said I will cloth the offending windows in future.

He's happy and more importantly so am I.

Sorry lads slightly off topic but just wanted to clarify

A window cleaner is not breaking any H&S rules or any other trade for that matter if using a ladder correctly.

Are ladders banned? - NO that is a myth so ppl should not be telling anyone they are

This makes interesting reading for anyone that uses ladders for window cleaning

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

Hope this helps?

I make sure all customers know the health and safety guidelines.

On 6th April 2005 the HSE published the new Work at Height Legislation.

If a risk assessment shows that a reasonable alternative method can be used. In the window cleaning industry we now have water fed poles which means there is now little requirement to work from ladders.

The new legislation also requires that the customer should ensure that any work carried out by a contractor you employ is complying with these regulations.

In Summary

The customer must ensure that no work is carried out at height unless there is no other safe and practical way in which to carry out the job or you could be prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive.

All customers should be aware of the work at height legislation.

So in other words as you use poles no you should not be doing them the old way. Doing so could result in you being pulled from a job if health and safety see you.

Suggest you have a read http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/regulations.htm read number 17 21 and 22

Havnt been back yet tried calling but no answer..ill offer free clean iv had a loom at future cleaning website training vids so gomna cleam like tjey do n shud make a diff.if they wont take free clean ill sack em its not worth it doin with ladders.ill let u kno what happens.regarding plants doubt we use enough water t kill them n pure water wont be harmful.if plants can b over watered its prob all the rain thats killed em lol

Back