Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Barrels in back on van help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anyone thought of daisy-chaining the 25l barrels together, so they behave as a single tank?
Yes, the bulkhead fittings would probably set you back more than a proper tank, but the barrels would work as a baffle to avoid sloshing.
I don't think the daisies would be strong enough /emoticons/smile.png):))

You wouldNT have to daisy chain them.

Just put a length of hose sticking into each barrel all connected to the inlet hose to the pump, it should draw equally provided no air locks, buy you would have to weight each hose down in each barrel or you would get air locks

Been there with a trolley and breaking my back with barrels, then I got my van and decided to go for it with a van mount, a week later I sold the trolley and barrels ,never going there again lol, love the set up I've got , its easily taken out on weekends so I can use my van for the dog and family

ten barrels ? And a bottle of rum

Bet it's like being on the Jolly Rodger !

As above - get a tank then fill your barrels on the go

Like been said all 3 work well I do prefer trolley as 1. Saves water 2. No long hose reel 3. Can bring inside so no freezing issues 4. Easily if got work all together, bought a round all in estate took me an hour less in time than person who had van mount

I too loath backpacks. They have a place but not as the main tool.
I love my van mount and do believe when set up right they cant be beaten.

What I do struggle with is the van owners with 20 barrels rolling round in the back why not just bang a tank with fat tap on it instead of faffing with barrels?

There is no right or wrong on this, no 'correct' way of doing things it's horses for courses.

Just cause someone chooses backpack or trolley dont mean they're 'messing about'

For me van mount is the only way but that's just opinion.
I've got 200 Residential Customers if I used van mount I would be posing a trip hazard risk on 90 per cent of my work, the only way I could do the work safely from van mount is on driveways, I use barrels but I'm getting a bigger van next Spring I'll have a tank on board but I'll be pumping water in to the Backpacks I would be slower with van mount, snagging, hose reeling in, hose reeling out and moving the van it's a no brainer.

I've got 200 Residential Customers if I used van mount I would be posing a trip hazard risk on 90 per cent of my work, the only way I could do the work safely from van mount is on driveways, I use barrels but I'm getting a bigger van next Spring I'll have a tank on board but I'll be pumping water in to the Backpacks I would be slower with van mount, snagging, hose reeling in, hose reeling out and moving the van it's a no brainer.
So long as you put a cone out next to the hose, there isn't a problem.

I've been putting hoses across pavements every working day for 9 years without a single issue

I use barrels and back pack but I also trad a fair bit. I've got ladders on top, plus barrels, pole, steps and all other equip on board and it reduces the speed of my transit connect. I tried with some telescopic ladders but they were sh!te
I plan on getting a van mount once I have so much work on that I cant cope, so at the rate Im going, that will prob be some time next summer. However, I think you always need ladders on your van and for me telescopics are rubbish
Nothing wrong with my telescopic ladder I use it to get on roofs only.

Telescopics aren't designed for outdoor / professional use. They are DIY ladders targeting the indoor homeowner. I brought them, used them for half a day and then took them back and got my money back.

But if you dont have troubles with them then fair play. But dont say nobody warned you

Hello all
I'm currently using wfp trolly and backpack setup.

I can have up to 10 Barrels in back of my van. I'm having problems trying to get a set up where the Barrels will stop rolling around when driving. I have tried tying bungee cord but did not work well.

Was thinking some kind of netting maybe.

Anybody who has Barrels. In back on van and not a tank and has some good ideas if you could post a pic or two.

Many thanks.

Spudly
Hi Spudly

Easy solution for your problem is have some big plastic boxes. The size that you may fit 3 barrels in one Box. Then you may just tide The boxes together.

cefa3233b6fd6b40e20482d5f56cc53a.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have been using the waterfed pole system since around April this year. I am still currently using barrels in the back of my van, the reason for this is, i live in a terraced block and my filter system is at the rear of the property, therefore i need to use barrels to get the water from back to front, although, i would prefer to have a system where i had a tank in the back of the van and could fill it in the van, but this would involve too much expense, i would need to buy another pump to pump it to the front of the house.

Back