Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro Units, Water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

J

Josho

Hi, newbie here.

Just made a Harris pole, got a decent brush head, put two jets in and run a copper pipe along side. Will get photos when completed.

Got an RO unit, a 1000l tank and a 350l tank for the car.

Now, I have an issue, we are on metered water.

How can I save money here? Water board say that we will have to go on a business tarrif and pay VAT on the whole lot. Someone on the web said they are legally obliged to put in another meter.

We got a 5 stage RO plus a DI stage.

We read my TDS and it is 157.

Rain water off the roof, through the dirty gutters in an ancient water butt is 15 TDS. We are thinking of doing this.

Is it viable to use rainwater?

How long would straight DI last at 160 TDS and 15 TDS?

Also, if I have used rain water and then stored the waste, could I put this back through as it would still be a low TDS?

Cheers for this guys! Can't wait to get it sorted but it's being a tough journey!

You don't need a ro for rainwater so there's no waste.

You will also need some serious amount of storage if you're going 100% wfp.

Yes though I've posted this somewhere before (cos am saddo) average 3 bed semi can harvest approx 85000 litres per year. But as I said you need to store it somewhere, do you have a swimming pool lol.

If you cleaned/replaced the guttering and washed the roof that tds reading would drop through the floor.

I'm no expert by the way but at 157 I think two di vessels might be better as theres no waste, Mark M and some other lads round here will be able to answer that one better though.

if you can get enough rain water use that, but run it through a di vessel, if i was you, i would but a 25 ltr di for before van and a 11 l for van

OK cheers mate.

Have got a pool as it happens, plus it's empty. /emoticons/tongue.png

May not go 100% pole at first but we might just!

The RO unit we got a super bargain on and it's 200 GPD so if we did sell it we'd make money.

Obviously just need to know what resin will cost etc and how long it will last. Obviously I think we probably will need an RO for the tap water when there is no rain.

Cheers tho, will look at a huge tank.

I'm doing similar but not really much wfp at all, have 1x200lt butt and store 300 in shed, luckily we've had a lot of rain so it's filling as I use it but think about having at least a 1000 lt ibc or something cos if it don't rain you'll run out quickly.

Also 25lt resin vessel would only need changing every 9-10 months at 15 tds.

The copper pipe is on standoffs and carries water up the pole. It's hard to explain without photos but works very well. Basically a copper pipe runs alongside the main bit of the pole. Attatched to this right at the top above the clamps is a coil hose. When extended the coil extends. The copper pipe keeps the coil away from your hands. It also has the advantage of being fixed at the bottom with a connector. There is also an ON/OFF flow switch and the pump has a pressure switch so will switch itself off.

OK thanks.

I'm thinking maybe get another one or two 1000l tanks and have one for waste, one for rain water and the one I have now for pure water.

It's a hard one. Do I keep the RO for the draught seasons?

I can't keep too many tanks as my mum is complaining at one! Haha. Will have to try and fence them in so it looks nicer.

Rain water does seem an awesome way of doing it though, wouldn't even RO it, just a straight DI into the tank.

I'll take photo's.

TBF it's pretty good and is bottom heavy so although there is a minimal added weight, it's easier to handle. /emoticons/smile.png

Yeah that's how I had it, worked well but I just wanted it that bit easier.

I will take photos as I keep saying. It could be a decent little idea for all. I've just got to tidy it up for looks yet, probably paint it all black or something.

Well setting up on a budget ya know.

Pretty pleased as we went canvassing, found a ladder in the shed my mum and dad had just moved into, had a ten pound note when we first started due to my place of work shutting down and having to pay off things so bang goes my savings.

Put that tenner in the car for fuel, literally had the ladders strapped straight to the roof with dust sheets underneath, then out the sunroof and two and a half months later just managed to get a 200GPD RO unit, DI, 1000l IBC and a 350l baffled tank.

So although VERY demoralising at first, it is slowly but surely picking up.

Just totally mixed prices, we have one house and just a front clean, two pretty big windows, one up one down, flat roof, front door to wipe, £6. Old cleaner that had left charged £10. One front of a house, two bay windows although lead and a small window plus a porch, £10. One bungalow shack type thing, about 15 windows all ground floor, £15.

But literally some other work we were offered like £2 houses with three windows???

Or £6 front and back for 6-8 windows.

Just don't understand it?

Haha, tis always the way. Onwards and upwards.

I'm a qualified mechanic but it's nice to have a break and window cleaning is so much less stressful!

Now, I have an issue, we are on metered water.

Water board say that we will have to go on a business tarrif and pay VAT on the whole lot. Someone on the web said they are legally obliged to put in another meter.
im on a water meter too and use a RO system, it cost me £1.55 per 1000lts i use, so the cost of it is nothing really. plus you dont have to go on a business rate if you are producing the water at home. just stay on the tariff that you are on and you will be fine.

Ah ok thanks. Only issue is I am then charged waste water which is just over 2quid per tank so when you factor in waste water the ro gives out its 4000l.

I will store the waste but I get charged for sewage as well.

Ah ok thanks. Only issue is I am then charged waste water which is just over 2quid per tank so when you factor in waste water the ro gives out its 4000l.

I will store the waste but I get charged for sewage as well.
for the last year i have been using the meter water and there isnt much diffrence in cost that i have noticed.

my RO unit makes 1000lts of pure water then 2000lts of waste. but like you 600lts of waste is stored in containers to use elsewhere. cost wise its like a drop in the ocean. hardly notice it.

Back