Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well, I did it today and what a mare! The windows and frames had been covered in plastic sheeting to protect them from the rendering etc. Some of the frames had been scratched badly, which I pointed out, but the worst thing was the glass. I could get the compo off using a scraper and finger nail, but the glass on some of them had stains all over them. Very large panes of glass were covered in what looked like hard water stains or oxidisation. Nothing would shift them, even limescale remover. I'm thinking the lime out of the mortar has got behind the covers and been left to sit for so long. It took 4 1/2 hours and he wants me to have another go at it when the scaffolding comes down in 3 weeks. Any ideas what might shift the stains? They look terrible. You might be able to see what I mean in the picture below.

059BA5F3-68D8-446C-B53C-BA8420553919_zpsrtqrioxp.jpg

you just reminded me why i dont like builders cleans...they dont seem to care about glass until its too late.../emoticons/smile.png
Think I might turn them down in future cnc. Ok, I got paid well, but the glass is ruined imo. It has views of hills 40 miles away and all they'll see will be streaky glass. I would have loved to get them up a treat, but four and a half hours and not much to show for it is a p!sser. And next time I go I would have been expecting to WFP it. Not even trad does owt to the glass.

Think I might turn them down in future cnc. Ok, I got paid well, but the glass is ruined imo. It has views of hills 40 miles away and all they'll see will be streaky glass. I would have loved to get them up a treat, but four and a half hours and not much to show for it is a p!sser. And next time I go I would have been expecting to WFP it. Not even trad does owt to the glass.
it is just horrible when you can't do much to get it any cleaner...but they should have protected it in the first place...so their fault ...not yours.../emoticons/smile.png

i have tried various stuff but had no luck with shifting stains like that so far....

I'm a curtain twicher too...don't forget you will be old one day too. Bless em:hehehe:

yeh i got a few goldfish bowls to clean...with net curtains a twitching....nowt else to do ....just waiting for the windy to fall off his ladder and make their day...:specs

Agree tench. Give me a 4 weekly maintenance every day of the week. For some strange reason I'm getting gutter enquiries as much as window cleaning ATM.

If you find anything to get it off let us know /emoticons/smile.png the only other option for the bloke is to try and claim for new glass and give the cleaning cost to the builders.

I don't know everything /emoticons/biggrin.png

WOW :eek: !!!

May I take this opportunity on behalf of WCF, to be the first to say..........

'Well done Smurf'...... We know it must have been so hard for you to admit this /emoticons/tongue.png :laugh: :rofl:.

WOW :eek: !!!
May I take this opportunity on behalf of WCF, to be the first to say..........

'Well done Smurf'...... We know it must have been so hard for you to admit this /emoticons/tongue.png :laugh: :rofl:.
i liked it but dont tell mr smurf.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Whenever someone says they want a top job you will never please them no matter what you do so be warned /emoticons/biggrin.png
In my experience this applies to most builders cleans. It's amazing how people expect the window cleaner to perform miracles on messy builders windows.

I can clean off most marks off glass and frames but I have stopped doing builders cleans.

In my experience this applies to most builders cleans. It's amazing how people expect the window cleaner to perform miracles on messy builders windows.
I can clean off most marks off glass and frames but I have stopped doing builders cleans.
Too much hassle. The bloke started to panic as he was paying me by the hour and I was there over 4 hours and it didn't look much better than when I started. Doing a maintenance clean on it in 3 weeks, that should be fun, not.

i put in a price for 300 on a builders clean for the outs only on 1 house . theres 6 of these houses so 1800 for the lot. i know theyll be trying to find somebody else ,to slash the cost but very high so good luck

builders cleans can be torture dont get your price right you would be better of doing your regular cleaning.

had good one only yesterday tight ****

done his house for £10,had extension only four windows had to clean then four times to get them to standard

charged him all in £15 .the guy was nearly crying when I told him extra £5.

the sod said next clean will you do it for £10. Well he was told do it for £13

Back