Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stopped Stop Tape!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Poles Apart

My pet hate this stuff it's just insulation tape, just put my second coat of blue Hammerite lines on my slx 18 so I don't over extend it after a section split yesterday, stop tape was on there but it had worn so decided it's a waste of time especially after what happened last year when it came lose in bits and clogged up a clamp, it took 2 of us and a lot of brute force to separate a section got to be a better idea than that surely.

I took all my stop tape off my Slx 25 and now just stop at the red mark. Pole works way better and can be dismantled and cleaned very easily.

Sent from my Turbo_mini_F1 using Window Cleaning Forums

There is more than the reason of the stop tape being there to prevent u from over extending the pole it is so it runs evenly with the tape on the end of the pole so it runs evenly up and down and prevents wear n tear on the carbon

Oliver rise n shine cleaning

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Window Cleaning Forums

Hi guys

Obviously keeping the joint overlap tape on the sections is a matter of personal preference, however there are good reasons for its presence. If you do choose to remove the tape each section does have a woven in overlap marker area so over extending is not an issue (this is the reason that the overlap contrast area is built in).

What are the reasons for the joint overlap tape?

1. To provide a more positive joint stop than just a visual notification. This is of particular import when working at height where you need to be looking at the brush head and not at the sections being extended.

2. To prevent carbon on carbon wear on the base of the section and on the inside of the sections. In fact this can make such a difference to wear that it invalidates the warranty on the Xtreme poles if it is not replaced regularly.

If you do decide to remove the joint overlap tape then it is important to keep the pole as clean as possible to help reduce the carbon on carbon wear.

There is more than the reason of the stop tape being there to prevent u from over extending the pole it is so it runs evenly with the tape on the end of the pole so it runs evenly up and down and prevents wear n tear on the carbonOliver rise n shine cleaning

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Window Cleaning Forums
It won't wear the carbon if you don't go beyond the paint.

I'm not quite sure what you mean but just to clarify if the joint overlap tape is removed from the base of a section then this will allow carbon on carbon wear from the very base of the section onto the inside surface of the next section it slides within. This will happen regardless of how far the sections are extended. If such wear is allowed to continue and leads to premature section failure then this would not be covered under warranty. Basically using joint stop tape prolongs the life of the sections/pole but it's obviously up to the user to decide what works best for them.

What Oliver Collins said is right :thumbsup: .....and what that Alex Gardiner fella said, he seems to know a bit too :thumbs:......... :giggle:.

Have just got delivered from China some new waterproof rubber tape. I'm going to try it as a stop tape and will report back.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi TJTOPCAT

It will be interesting to see how you get on with this type of tape. We have previously trialled this type of tape and we found it too thick and provided too much friction leading to the pole sections not extending smoothly or well. Because of the added drag it ended up with the tape ripping off very quickly.

It is important that not just any insulating tape is used when replacing joint overlap tape - not all insulating tapes are the same they vary greatly in hardness, thickness and tear strength. The yellow 3M tape that we now use is very thin allowing for tight section tolerances, but is a hard formulation having a hard edge and surface which gives good wear and grit resistance. Of all the tape types that we have trialled this has always performed the best.

To prolong the life of the pole tape it is worth flushing the pole out fully at the end of each week. I would usually recommend replacing the tape (or at least checking it) every 2-3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
after my gardiner tape worn out i replaced it with normal electrical tape and it was ****, i spent a month without any and could hear the poles inside creaking and felt like there was more play when fully extended, i ordered some of the 3m tape from gardiners with my last order and redid the pole, it tightened it up a treat and felt like using a new pole again!

Have just got delivered from China some new waterproof rubber tape. I'm going to try it as a stop tape and will report back.
Do that if you can there is no such thing as joint stop tape it's insulation tape and it's cr@p.

I just ordered a roll of that 3M tape. Regarding position, one bit obviously goes on the very bottom of the section, but whereabouts should I place the other bit? Just under the red markings?

I just ordered a roll of that 3M tape. Regarding position, one bit obviously goes on the very bottom of the section, but whereabouts should I place the other bit? Just under the red markings?
Just one place it you've got a red marking at the bottom.

There are two positions that you will need to fit the Joint-Overlap tape.

1. At the very base of the section you will need just one wrap with no overlapping of the tape.If the pole is worn then you can slightly overlap the tape to improve the tolerances.

2. At about 25mm down from the top edge of the overlap woven area (red on an SLX and Black on a CLX). This will be a single wrap of tape with a small overlapping of the tape. As the pole starts to wear then this overlap can gradually be increased to improve tolerances.

The SLX 25 I had delivered only had one piece of tape on and a painted red bar.
Hi Poles Apart

When did you buy this SLX - was it recently? It has only been in the last few years that we have progressed to twin joint-overlap tape positions. Older poles used to have just one wrap of tape at the higher position and none on the base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back