Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are we doing too much...?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah the insides can be as bad as a first clean especially the kitchen windows!

I've got my usual soap mix in the Boab but got ubik in a pump sprayer in the van so add some to the mix and on the mop. Comes out lovely !

I love doing the insides, usually get asked as I start the first window on the outside. So I say yeah no probs tell them to clear the way and I'll do them after I finish. No hassle. Boab with a bit of diluted ubik on the mop too and it's happy days. Same price as outsides. Nice that customer trusts you enough to just walk about their house too, I feel the bond is closer with the customer and less likely to replace you.
Another one I keep getting asked for is the back windows with no access than going through the house, done a few having to trail the hose through.....pain in the bum

Bought a back pack on the weekend do hopefully do them on the spot now instead. /emoticons/smile.png
Yep, a long standing customer phoned me last week to say she would be out when I arrived but she'd leave the key in the dog kennel so I could let myself in to do the insides. No tea and biscuits for me though, but she did leave me a snack to give the dog :rolleyes:

Done one last week like that actually........... she was just heading out as I arrived, big place too.

Just felt really strange walking round someone's house when they're not there...... apart from the dog too lol.

Reminded me of when I was young and single doing the one night stands..........waking up first and walking about thinking Wtf am I doing ! And then quickly leg it out the door /emoticons/biggrin.png

Been there mate

Go downstairs to get a drink and the mum is down there

"Morning Dave"

Wtf I've never even met her..must have said hello when i was p1ssed last night

Have you seen mickey flannigan going out tour??

One night stand..wakes up and rummages through her post to find out her name

They're talking later and he says "listen homeowner""lololol

Love mickey, so so funny, tells a story like your actually there with him. Killer delivery.

Yeah had a fair few *awkward mornings* especially when you know the parents and your only there one night Rogering the daughter never to be seen again.

Makes it awkward again when you bump into the parents at a later date :confused:

Got a place I do that has her insides done every second or third clean....I get the 'for fooks sake' feeling when she says "insides as well please"....place is the pits and she wants the bleeding windows cleaned inside and out....put my hands on the kitchen worktops and the residue fat sticks to my hands....Getting back to the original post I've been guilty of getting involved in little sidelines, some have been lucrative but when I crunch the numbers it's rarely better than window cleaning....hopefully I've managed to put one off today, big gutter run with three joiners and one dripping in the middle....like a fool I said I could sort it when the customer asked on my last clean....dripping joint is over a consevatory so it's either a scaffold (seems excessive for a dripping gutter) or up over the roof with rope and harness....I've quoted 250 to take the gutter hedgehog out, change three joints, empty the gutter and cable tie the hedgehog back in....I'm hoping the price will put them off or someone will undercut me...fingers crossed.

definitely about keeping it simple for me. thats one of the reasons i like this job - van, wfp and a bit of trad gear. small investment, minimal overheads, decent earnings potential.

Never had an issue with internals, no need to move the van and double bubble, what more do you want?

I was once asked to do the insides of a heavy smokers home, (I am a 3 year ex 40 a day chap) I walked in and it STANK. I said 'be right back'

Went to the van, (luckily had my builders clean gear on board) got my face mask, goggles and rubber gloves.

Went back in the woman asked 'why you wearing all that' I replied 'not only does your house stink but it's toxic as well!'

She was mortified!

Next thing she had me calling in my carpet cleaning mate to do all the carpets, upholstery and curtains etc, had my wife in to do a full clean of the bathroom and kitchen and I also attended to wash down all the doors, skirting boards banisters etc.

What should have been £12.00 for her inside windows ended up at £600 for 2 days of serious sterilization.

She quit the fags there and then and to this day hasn't touched a cigarette.

Goes to show what people can become used to living in until someone is honest with them about the state of their home. Now every month we stand in the kitchen (less the hazmat gear) and have a cupper and a custard cream!

Careful turning them down too, or else they may just find someone who does do them.
I never turn down Insides. Apart from the ornaments and curtains/blinds, its easy work. Its also a great opportunity to check your exterior window work.

Need to balance what you wanna do and what you don't wanna do.

I have gained customers from offering services other companies don't offer.

I am currently streamlining and dumping work. Best move I have EVER made. Really enjoying it now. Making more money for less work. That's what it's all about.

Back