Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

massive hotel to quote

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

View attachment 6333

awesome eh !!!! they want all outsides apart from dormers done & dining room & reception done inside as well

now firm that does it takes 3 men 8 hrs twice a year but the job is proper ****, he wants a quote for x4 a year its only 15 mins away from me so waters not a problem & i'd buy an internal thingy for the insides,

its ok if i do it over 2 days but realistically is that possible, got a lad who i could bring in to help but this job is so far out of my pricing comfort zone its hurting my head, id love the job but dont want to be losing money on it but no idea what hotels are willing to pay, its part of the strathmore chain any ideas please its in the north so £1000 a day is out

View attachment 6332

nice hotel,how much would you be happy with?

do you have the equipment to make this job go smoothly?, ie a large enough water tank poles to reach the higher windows?

for me i'd be erring around the £1000 mark should be three days work for one man once you get the hang of it

whats the payment terms on this? 60,90 days or 30 from date of invoice

I'd be tempted to try and push for a day rate on that one. otherwise, I think most of the lads will agree that give a half way accurate stab at a price it would be useful to have some more pictures of all sides of the building if possible.

pay me enough and i could call up and give you a day or two,it looks big and indeed it is a big building but break it down into say four chunks leaving the outbuildings and kitchen area etc as a seperate bit

and it won't be too big a job and it gives you a target to hit everyday invest in the right kinda kit and that job would be a breeze

Go onto their website and see how much they charge on average per room per person for a night and then on average the cost of a meal for two in their swanky restaurant and then once you put your eyeballs back in your head charge for 2 nights accommodation with food, you will come out a winner I reckon!

Stunning location, get a decent photographer to come and shoot promo pics for your website and brochures

View attachment 9115 View attachment 9116awesome eh !!!! they want all outsides apart from dormers done & dining room & reception done inside as well

now firm that does it takes 3 men 8 hrs twice a year but the job is proper ****, he wants a quote for x4 a year its only 15 mins away from me so waters not a problem & i'd buy an internal thingy for the insides,

its ok if i do it over 2 days but realistically is that possible, got a lad who i could bring in to help but this job is so far out of my pricing comfort zone its hurting my head, id love the job but dont want to be losing money on it but no idea what hotels are willing to pay, its part of the strathmore chain any ideas please its in the north so £1000 a day is out
How did you end up getting asked for this? Have you to beat the existing firms price or what?

Wow, that is some place! My first thought is whether you'd get your hose to all parts of the building. Obviously you'd have to move your van a few times but even still would you still reach all of it? Are those towers 5 storeys high? You'll need an Extreme 47 or similar costing the best part of a grand. Have you got time to do it, cars parked, people walking around, very dirty windows.... Could be a ball ache.

How did you end up getting asked for this? Have you to beat the existing firms price or what?
I agree here. I would be cautious about being asked to quote for the job @simon. But that's me.

I've been asked to quote on several large commercial properties over the years and what they were after was a written quote to renegotiate their contract with their existing window cleaners who they had no intention of canceling.

I would have asked what I was up against with regard to price. They will either refuse to divulge it or they will give you a stupid price. Don't be taken in with their talk.

If you have to go out and especially buy equipment you need to this particular job, then be even more wary. They could change their minds and you could end up doing the job once and that's it. You will be left with a pole for example that you won't use again, selling it on at a greatly reduced price.

I hope I'm wrong TBH, but always tread with caution.

As far as pricing is concerned, as has been already stated, break it up into sections and price it according to what you think it will take time wise. If the previous/current cleaners are taking 24 hours to do a substandard job then you have probably got to consider it will take you much longer, especially when you don't know the job. Consider that old painted wooden sash windows can be a real time consumer to get right, so I would consider that you might have to do each window in sections to allow for them to dry/stop dripping before you clean the pane underneath.

@Tuffers has also made a few valid comments with regard to the health and safety aspect. They will expect a detailed method statement and risk assessment. Your insurance will probably have to be upgraded as well if it does cover items worked on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it is good to ask what there paying now 3 men doing that in 1 day. Could be doing it for as little as £350-£400 so if you go in at a grand is he likely to go with you at double the price?

Sometimes people are getting a poor job because the price is poor.

It is also the time off year when a lot of tenders are going out they have to get quotes in but sometimes have no intention of changing companies.

Really it comes down to what it is worth to you.

I would not care what they pay at present. I would put in my price and an explanation as to why my price is what it is and tell them you get what you pay for.

A lot of us go for these bigger jobs for the 'prestige' of it and often end up loathing it for doing it too cheap or understimating the work load. So as advised tread lightly but go for it for sure.

That's interesting spruce , about what you said about written quote . I was asked for a written quote late last year for a huge 19 century house , handed it in . There making me wait until there get back to the other window cleaner they've had for fourteen years .... Cost cutting exercise I think . Well I've just withdrawal the quote today . Can't wait, turning work down just in case I might get the big job .... Stuff that ....I'll keep picking the little jobs up ....

Be very careful Simon , ..... Cost cutting!!!!

That's interesting spruce , about what you said about written quote . I was asked for a written quote late last year for a huge 19 century house , handed it in . There making me wait until there get back to the other window cleaner they've had for fourteen years .... Cost cutting exercise I think . Well I've just withdrawal the quote today . Can't wait, turning work down just in case I might get the big job .... Stuff that ....I'll keep picking the little jobs up ....

Be very careful Simon , ..... Cost cutting!!!!
Similar had been pointed out to me by a windy on FB. He got me in the practice of making my quotes time sensitive with 30 day limits or re-quotes required.

keep in mind they wont want a windie cleaner banging around for 3 days in a row this is something u would need to have good cleaners on maybe get a few other operators to help out so it done in a day ? thats **** loads to clean maybe need 2 teams of 2 men water will be an issue as your going all day you will eat thru it fast it really is a 900-1200 job as there will be windows u dont no of till u start is there anyone on here that could help you out

i could ask "around" a few mates to see who is doing this building at the present if you like simon,

do you have any idea of the current price?,more importantly payment terms-pointless doing all this work and possible investment if its 120 days,unless you can shoulder the initial loss/slow down in cash flow

as in all jobs like this consider it a bonus job and if you were to lose it one year down the line its no biggy

Similar had been pointed out to me by a windy on FB. He got me in the practice of making my quotes time sensitive with 30 day limits or re-quotes required.

This is a good idea which isn't done much in this country.

When we quoted on equipment for a company in South Africa we always stipulated a time period it was valid for (30 days) and also that the quoted was subject to fluctuations in the currency exchange rate. When you had inflation at around 30% per year you had to factor that into your quotation.

Wow that's a hell of a job! Think everyone has pretty much said everything. Tread carefully, will be interesting to see what transpires though. Keep us posted. /emoticons/wink.png

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

just went up & asked, reception told me who to email & he asked me to go & quote, he's unhappy with his present crew who are a big firm from a city 70 mile away. only went up on the off chance didn't really expect owt

Wow, that is some place! My first thought is whether you'd get your hose to all parts of the building. Obviously you'd have to move your van a few times but even still would you still reach all of it? Are those towers 5 storeys high? You'll need an Extreme 47 or similar costing the best part of a grand. Have you got time to do it, cars parked, people walking around, very dirty windows.... Could be a ball ache.
i have a supermax 47 so tops would be hard work, but no problem dont go over 4 floors anyway

nice hotel,how much would you be happy with?do you have the equipment to make this job go smoothly?, ie a large enough water tank poles to reach the higher windows?

for me i'd be erring around the £1000 mark should be three days work for one man once you get the hang of it

whats the payment terms on this? 60,90 days or 30 from date of invoice
i live 15 mins away so can easily go home & refill, payment by bacs soon as head office get invoice

Back