Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tds reading ... what's exceptable before it leaves spots ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I always use 000ppm .

I once used 003ppm ,looking very closely at the glass there was very fine white streaks . That's was with a good rinse .

Some on here use water higher than 003 . One guy on here was using 018ppm with no problems ! . See what you can get away with . Keeps checking.

Yip I used 003 on my own clean windows and got some spotting since then I never let it get above 001, not 100% but I think different areas could have different disolveible solids in the water as heard that others can clean with much higher tds readings.

I have (unknowingly until i realised) done a whole days work with around 15ppm with not a single spot with the water round here and i clean regularly with it around 4-5ppm

Others get issues with lower levels

Best to aim for 0 but if it creeps up find out where the limit is for you and stay below that

Perry Tait from reach it says anything under 10 is not visible to the naked eye but from what others say that doesn't seem correct

I know some people bang on about it must be 000 as you are a pure water window cleaner

I am a window cleaner and that is that

If 5ppm works for me i will use it

I use pure for trad also..does that make me not a real tradder as it must be tapwater lol

By accident, long story, it got to 56ppm.

I was expecting the phone to be red hot with complaints but nothing. Couple of houses that were sheltered from the weather were still gleaming. (They are holiday lets so I do them regardless of clean or not). Weird! Would not risk it again though. /emoticons/smile.png

Same as H. Mine only got to 036 though. No complaints from a whole day's work. Did my own with it too. Nothing visible. Absolutely don't recommend it though. Comes out of my RO at .004 so my resin lasts ages. As soon as my TDS gets to .004 I change it.

Mark what's your water pressure or do you use a booster pump?
Tap is about 40psi which is not enough to keep me supplied with my RO, so I boost it to about 70psi. I also have a permeate pump attached to my RO as well

I hav 65psi tap pressure and I get roughly 007 to 009 with an average tds 270ish before RO saying that though where we live I'm lead to believe that our water not only comes from hanningfield reservoir but also underwater reservoirs what ever that means and its full of limscale just makes me wonder if this is the case why some of us can work with higher tds than others? Because of the different make up of local watervsupplys.

My tap water is 340ppm.... I hadn't changed ANY of the filtes or the resin in my 40/40 setup in 4years and have had no complaints running at around 14ppm.

I did however last week change the prefilters and M down to 10ppm lol

It all depends on how your individual water is made up.

In some areas 010 water will start to leave spots because of the types of minerals in that water. Whereas other areas you could use water up to 075 with no problems as those minerals (tds) don't leave spots.

For peace of mind just always keep water at 000.

Was canvassing last summer and an old boy said to me he did his own with the garden hose and one of those £15 telescopic brushes.

I took a real close look at the windows, could not find a single spot and he reckoned he only does them 3 or 4 times per year.

I hav 65psi tap pressure and I get roughly 007 to 009 with an average tds 270ish before RO saying that though where we live I'm lead to believe that our water not only comes from hanningfield reservoir but also underwater reservoirs what ever that means and its full of limscale just makes me wonder if this is the case why some of us can work with higher tds than others? Because of the different make up of local watervsupplys.
My water comes from the same source and my tap TDS fluctuates from 375-425. I recon the pipework must play a role in the contamination of the water.

Bloody hell your tds is load higher than mine goes to show what an extra 5psi can do in reducing tds in from the RO.

Run you RO for Ten minutes then check again as new resin should give you 000 tds reading.

My tap water is 340ppm.... I hadn't changed ANY of the filtes or the resin in my 40/40 setup in 4years and have had no complaints running at around 14ppm.

I did however last week change the prefilters and M down to 10ppm lol

Back