Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

If You Were To Advise a Teenager With Hardly Any Qualifications...

My advise.

Stay at school till 18

Do a 3 year college course.

Go to uni for a further 2 years.

Have a years break travelling.

Then at 25 yer ready to start work.

My dad (bless him) always said that a person should feel completely comfortable and confident not knowing 'what they wanted to do with their lives until at least the age of 30'

It always struck me as a bit of an odd thing to say but it's always stayed with me as I think he makes a sensible argument in an age where there is a lot of pressure on young folk.

I speak as though he is dead.......he's not. He's still blabbering pearls of 'wisdom' from his sofa in Carlisle /emoticons/smile.png

Believe me @Green by the time I was 25 I'd been working 10 years was married & had 2 kids.

I wrote that coz that is it seems what most do???

think that idea ended in the 80's / 90's with free education.

Now that person would have 50k debt by 25, prob have two degrees they couldnt get a job with, and clinical depression

I think some people benefit from force or rather discipline, if they haven't a clue. Better that than drift into addictions or crime. Education beyond a point can become a hinderance, over educated but lacking life skills.
my only concern is that too much emphasis on discipline may cause some to rebel and end up in a life of crime and addiction anyway and possibly end up blaming you for it.

I do agree that having life skills is beneficial though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for discipline if you do not have enough self discipline by the time you leave school to get on an get a job then you parents have failed you as a child -- no ifs buts or maybe, just fact.

You will note that most kids with self discipline do not go unemployed for long, cause they have the discipline to realize that shoveling $hit all day will lead to better prospects for them even if only on a CV and they are not so deluded to think that they will be promoted to Vice president first week on the job.

In summary I think it truly depends on the child in question and their attitude and aptitude.

As for discipline if you do not have enough self discipline by the time you leave school to get on an get a job then you parents have failed you as a child -- no ifs buts or maybe, just fact.
You will note that most kids with self discipline do not go unemployed for long, cause they have the discipline to realize that shoveling $hit all day will lead to better prospects for them even if only on a CV and they are not so deluded to think that they will be promoted to Vice president first week on the job.

In summary I think it truly depends on the child in question and their attitude and aptitude.
It isn't entirely the parents fault, I have three kids, all brought up the same, two are really good on the whole, the other is just impossible, she will not do a single thing you ask no matter what you do, we have tried reward and punishment, nothing works with her, we have done nothing different, she is just a little **** end of lol

It isn't entirely the parents fault, I have three kids, all brought up the same, two are really good on the whole, the other is just impossible, she will not do a single thing you ask no matter what you do, we have tried reward and punishment, nothing works with her, we have done nothing different, she is just a little **** end of lol
Funny because its the same thing with me and my brother, i been working since 13(now 25) and my brother is now 22 and have never done a single honest work day, hes just collecting dole and think the world comes to him, and has never done what hes told. We er are both raised equally, but for some reason my brother has found it to be more fun doing petty crimes and hanging out with 'tough' guys. So i would say not everything can be blamed on the parents, people are just different.

Funny because its the same thing with me and my brother, i been working since 13(now 25) and my brother is now 22 and have never done a single honest work day, hes just collecting dole and think the world comes to him, and has never done what hes told. We er are both raised equally, but for some reason my brother has found it to be more fun doing petty crimes and hanging out with 'tough' guys. So i would say not everything can be blamed on the parents, people are just different.
Indeed, agree entirely, you can only do so much as a parent, you can't change the child's natural personality.

yeh and to think tuffers ...I just thought everyone would say get them cleaning windows...:rofl:

hey I got my 25yard swimming certificate so there...:whistle:

Back