Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My New Gardiners Brush

Just for your information - window cleaning brushes with Polyester monofilament or Nylon monofilament should have a melting point of over 200c and a working temperature of at least 100c, usually more, for both types of monofilament.

Both brush filaments are suitable for heated water. Brush wear, or more likely the change in shape comes from its hard use more than its design(filament aside). The filament bend recovery is what you will notice first. The memory of brush filaments can be altered through hard use, but you can also change it back to its original position, depending on the filament type.

Heated or warmer water will soften the brushes monofilaments; that’s why you may think it good for hot water, softer bristles wont scrub better, unless they are absorbent in the first place which has little to do with heated water.

Richard

hi richard,i have the same thinking as you as in hot water has its places,can you be a bit more techichal about the brushes as in if hot is used which brush is better for this?also a good all round one which is so light and copes with both hot and cold

Hi Mate, depends on what you are trying to remove form the windows. Both types of the most common monofilaments used in wfp brushes are suitable for heated water. The marketing put out with other suppliers about hot brushes and cold brushes/monofilaments is marketing nonsense. Design is different.

The way I work is a wfp brush is no different form similar tools in your kit, like the micro fibre cloths or the applicator. The yearly cost of all 3 will be a lot less than 1% of turnover - if your replace every few months. I can get through new cloths, applicator sleeves, brushes in a week or two. But I like to work fast and a days pay will be more than enough to cover the yearly cost of all these materials I use over the year.

Richard

Hi Mate' date=' depends on what you are trying to remove form the windows. Both types of the most common monofilaments used in wfp brushes are suitable for heated water. The [/color']marketing put out with other suppliers about hot brushes and cold brushes/monofilaments is marketing nonsense. Design is different. 

The way I work is a wfp brush is no different form similar tools in your kit, like the micro fibre cloths or the applicator. The yearly cost of all 3 will be a lot less than 1% of turnover - if your replace every few months. I can get through new cloths, applicator sleeves, brushes in a week or two. But I like to work fast and a days pay will be more than enough to cover the yearly cost of all these materials I use over the year.

Richard

But you make your own brushes so might take us 2 days work!!

True Peter, but I am the same about brushes as I am with sleeves and micro cloths.

Wfp brushes aren’t expensive compared to what they are used for and what you can earn with them. I have regular brush customers who only work part time; they change there brush after every 35-40 days of use. Typically they buy 3 new jetted maintenance clean brushes per year at a cost of about £120 delivered; I know the turnover for some of them and the total brush cost work out at about ½ % of turnover and less than 1% of net profit.

They could continue to use the brushes for longer, but they don’t mess around with anything - the sooner they can clean the windows and hit there money targets, the sooner they can get on the golf course or go fishing. :Image11:

I’m the same with cleaning - rigid pole, even at low heights, clean brush everyday, turn the water flow up when needed etc

Richard

Latest Posts

Back