Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Recommend a friend….

Trev81

Who is running or has run a recommend a friend scheme with regular customers to good effect..?

I have just launched a "Introduce a friend" to regular 4 weekly window cleaning by us and receive a £10 M&S voucher each time (unlimited) also stated on the leaflet is the voucher is paid out on our next visit to you once the first clean has been done for the new customer or words to that effect.

Got me thinking this could be a very lucrative little scheme coming up to xmas, the customers now have a ulterior motive in gaining you more customers.

Basically each new lead is costing me a tenner but only once I have done their 1st clean which is always priced up a touch anyway, so even if the odd one was not retained I have not lost that much really. Thought about this the other day as currently got a lad canvassing for me now and again who is only costing me the first clean as commission, it's kinda like having all my regular customers also working for me in part on a similar commission rate.

Who is running or has run a recommend a friend scheme with regular customers to good effect..?
I have just launched a "Introduce a friend" to regular 4 weekly window cleaning by us and receive a £10 M&S voucher each time (unlimited) also stated on the leaflet is the voucher is paid out on our next visit to you once the first clean has been done for the new customer or words to that effect.

Got me thinking this could be a very lucrative little scheme coming up to xmas, the customers now have a ulterior motive in gaining you more customers.

Basically each new lead is costing me a tenner but only once I have done their 1st clean which is always priced up a touch anyway, so even if the odd one was not retained I have not lost that much really. Thought about this the other day as currently got a lad canvassing for me now and again who is only costing me the first clean as commission, it's kinda like having all my regular customers also working for me in part on a similar commission rate.
Hi Bubbles.

How long have you had the lad out for and is he actually knocking on the doors or just doing a leaflet drop? Cheers !

I think that's a good idea, especially the M&S voucher.

I did once consider a 'refer a friend and get a free clean' but I dismissed it as i figured they wouldn't be to arsed about it.

But I do like the Gift Voucher idea, even perhaps add on a HMV voucher or a Dominoes voucher for those that dont care for M&S

I think that's a good idea, especially the M&S voucher.
I did once consider a 'refer a friend and get a free clean' but I dismissed it as i figured they wouldn't be to arsed about it.

But I do like the Gift Voucher idea, even perhaps add on a HMV voucher or a Dominoes voucher for those that dont care for M&S
I believe you have to put something back in at times but no bloody way would i be handing out vouchers of that value. There's a lovely old dear i've been cleaning for three years ( i was recommended to her ), this woman has provided me with ten customers over that period. I've given her a third off her next clean each time ( as i did to the regular that passed my details to her). Lord knows i should be charging her double for bending my ear while i'm there but i respect her.

I believe you have to put something back in at times but no bloody way would i be handing out vouchers of that value. There's a lovely old dear i've been cleaning for three years ( i was recommended to her ), this woman has provided me with ten customers over that period. I've given her a third off her next clean each time ( as i did to the regular that passed my details to her). Lord knows i should be charging her double for bending my ear while i'm there but i respect her.
Similar, I have a couple that I have cleaned since the start and my whole days round on there day has been made by them. I gave them a free clean last month. I don't normally do stuff like that but this was an exception as they have provided me with a lot of great customers, it just seemed right. I like the gift voucher idea, but I would be worried about people recommending duds or spring cleaners to get a voucher, not realising the implications it would have to your business. One of my best customers has a habit of recommending arseholes, which is strange that she keeps such company, but the track record is not good.

I tried something similar. Get me a friend and I'll clean for free next time. A 30 quid job stung me for a free clean and then decided she wanted to get me more customers :confused:. I ended the deal sharpish /emoticons/biggrin.png

I personally don't see the value that much for a potential new customers, I guess it's dependant on how much you value a new customer, I'm sure the cost is higher than £10 using a canvassing biz to get you unknowns on your books, I think using this method gives you a touch more security as you know the people doing the recommending and hopefully if you give the offer to the "decent" ones you should most of the time get good leads and new customers in the book. There happy as they get a voucher leading up to xmas and you have had a intial clean before paying it out with a view to retaining them for the forceable. I normally go in at 50% extra on first cleans unless there really bad, with this offer I might go in at a double price, so soaking up some more of the £10 voucher.

Similar, I have a couple that I have cleaned since the start and my whole days round on there day has been made by them. I gave them a free clean last month. I don't normally do stuff like that but this was an exception as they have provided me with a lot of great customers, it just seemed right. I like the gift voucher idea, but I would be worried about people recommending duds or spring cleaners to get a voucher, not realising the implications it would have to your business. One of my best customers has a habit of recommending arseholes, which is strange that she keeps such company, but the track record is not good.
Always one mate.

I personally don't see the value that much for a potential new customers, I guess it's dependant on how much you value a new customer, I'm sure the cost is higher than £10 using a canvassing biz to get you unknowns on your books, I think using this method gives you a touch more security as you know the people doing the recommending and hopefully if you give the offer to the "decent" ones you should most of the time get good leads and new customers in the book. There happy as they get a voucher leading up to xmas and you have had a intial clean before paying it out with a view to retaining them for the forceable. I normally go in at 50% extra on first cleans unless there really bad, with this offer I might go in at a double price, so soaking up some more of the £10 voucher.
It's been said before on this forum.....there are some that sell themselves too cheap.

And that's not healthy for all of us.

Literally 4 hours ago, i was in conversation with a woman who was moaning about the local w.c. and how much he charged and he was **** and...then another two started up about how much they were paying blah blah blah....out of the blue some greasy looking oik pipes up.......' i'll go anywhere and clean for a fiver'.......i pulled a fiver out of my pocket and just asked him to go. He shut up. So he should. Too many monkeys in this game.Too many bloody gap filling part timers.

So he would clean some of my 30 quid detached jobbies for a fiver??

People like that do my swede in..like the polish guy round here a few years ago..fiver for any house and a few of us local guys lost a lot of work..3 months later when he had gone awol they were all asking for us back..no chance

So he would clean some of my 30 quid detached jobbies for a fiver??People like that do my swede in..like the polish guy round here a few years ago..fiver for any house and a few of us local guys lost a lot of work..3 months later when he had gone awol they were all asking for us back..no chance
I've recently taken on three houses from a windy that has given up. I've had to add a tenner to each bill to bring them up to a proper price. Big houses with loads of glass, mostly leaded, and he charged the classic wanky £1 per window rule that people have been stuck on for the past 20 years.

Latest Posts

Back