Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Traffic Light System For Underpriced Work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Came across the idea on here back in May and thought it was a great idea. Slightly adapting though for just pricing.

I am printing my whole round off and applying the following.

Green - Price is ok.

Amber - Price could do with going up.

Red - Price needs to go up.

I know what you're thinking. Put them all up! Thing is I would but for example. I have a £19 house and it's been at £19 for 3/4 years. They always pay online within 24hrs. The house takes 20 mins. And I do 4 out of the 5 in the close. So I don't really want to risk putting that one up for the sake of a £1

It's more like the Mrs Jones at number 7. £9 and it should be £12!!!

As customers have come and gone the round is slowly sorting it's self out but I have a few now that I am starting to really hate doing. So I said I would increase the prices then.

I already have the letter drawn up from my last increase so I am going to post them out. Last price increase was over 2 years ago and we lost one customer over 50p and I think 2 went every other time.

Going to start off with the red first. See how I get on !

Just be polite and explain the price hasn't went up in xx years and the cost of cleaning has rose due to rising wages and cost of living. I have oly done it once. .. But gave it. Around 5 months before price rise .. People understood as it was only a pound here and there. Sayin that I do ones still for 6

Good idea - I got a few reds

I think telling them few months before is good idea

They got time to get someone else if they have to but they prob won't bother

I spent ages drafting (IMHO) the perfect letter for prices rises.

It doesn't apologise, it has a business feel, personal feel and justifies without labelling specific reasons.

I am going to start the price increases in Sept of this year. Or should I say putting out letters. The price will change from the 1st Jan and to make it sound good. Fixed until 2020 as a minimum. So that's 3 years fixed.

I am hoping that some may try and find other window cleaners TBH. As my round needs to make room for new blood now.

I have around 30-50 customers at a guess that are stupidly cheap. The work out OK as I clean house after house after house in the road.

Lost a £12 house last week and picked up a £25 and £20. £12 house would take 30Mins. Fussy customer and bad access.

I can do the £25 and £20 in 40 mins. Makes you think eh lol.

I do something similar to the traffic light system. I time how long it takes to do regular maintenance cleans, from the time I get out of the van to the time I get back into the van - hose reeled up, poles put away etc .... in this way I can work out my hourly rate. I just jot the clean start time and end time down from the clock in my van & work it out from this. I normally just tell customers face to face that I'm putting the price up from next clean, if I don't see them I just jot down on the reverse of my "Your windows have been cleaned" slip - 'Regular clean price to to increase by £x from next clean'. I don't think there's any need to justify a price increase - after all Tesco, Asda etc... don't - and I don't think there's any need to say you're going to fix the the price for x number of years. I reckon you may lose one or two customers through this but they were probably looking for an excuse to cancel your service anyway ...

@Cookie agree on justifying price rise - don't bother explaining - take it or leave it

I stupidly sent a lad to tell customer it's going up 50p ( prob 15 years ago ) he explained it by leaning on door frame and saying ' well if we charge everyone a bit more we can earn more money ' ha we still laugh about it

He's earning more than me now selling cars !

I spent ages drafting (IMHO) the perfect letter for prices rises.
It doesn't apologise, it has a business feel, personal feel and justifies without labelling specific reasons.

I am going to start the price increases in Sept of this year. Or should I say putting out letters. The price will change from the 1st Jan and to make it sound good. Fixed until 2020 as a minimum. So that's 3 years fixed.

I am hoping that some may try and find other window cleaners TBH. As my round needs to make room for new blood now.

I have around 30-50 customers at a guess that are stupidly cheap. The work out OK as I clean house after house after house in the road.

Lost a £12 house last week and picked up a £25 and £20. £12 house would take 30Mins. Fussy customer and bad access.

I can do the £25 and £20 in 40 mins. Makes you think eh lol.
I might join you in this Damo

I need a clear out and some of my prices need a decent boost

Any way I could have a look at this letter ? It would Give me the prompt I need to get it done

Came across the idea on here back in May and thought it was a great idea. Slightly adapting though for just pricing.
I am printing my whole round off and applying the following.

Green - Price is ok.

Amber - Price could do with going up.

Red - Price needs to go up.

I know what you're thinking. Put them all up! Thing is I would but for example. I have a £19 house and it's been at £19 for 3/4 years. They always pay online within 24hrs. The house takes 20 mins. And I do 4 out of the 5 in the close. So I don't really want to risk putting that one up for the sake of a £1

It's more like the Mrs Jones at number 7. £9 and it should be £12!!!

As customers have come and gone the round is slowly sorting it's self out but I have a few now that I am starting to really hate doing. So I said I would increase the prices then.

I already have the letter drawn up from my last increase so I am going to post them out. Last price increase was over 2 years ago and we lost one customer over 50p and I think 2 went every other time.

Going to start off with the red first. See how I get on !
Great idea @Damo and I am sure one that others will adopt.

This is a good year to do it Damo as pensions went up quite a bit in April as well, so not even old people can moan about price rise

I do something similar to the traffic light system. I time how long it takes to do regular maintenance cleans, from the time I get out of the van to the time I get back into the van - hose reeled up, poles put away etc .... in this way I can work out my hourly rate. I just jot the clean start time and end time down from the clock in my van & work it out from this. I normally just tell customers face to face that I'm putting the price up from next clean, if I don't see them I just jot down on the reverse of my "Your windows have been cleaned" slip - 'Regular clean price to to increase by £x from next clean'. I don't think there's any need to justify a price increase - after all Tesco, Asda etc... don't - and I don't think there's any need to say you're going to fix the the price for x number of years. I reckon you may lose one or two customers through this but they were probably looking for an excuse to cancel your service anyway ...
I did try similar but i soon got bored. I timed each job in mins. Arrive, clean, pack up, start van. I then times the minutes by 0.66p and then i was working out if the house was under priced or not. It did show up some howlers lol. Maybe why i stopped haha.

Printed off my first main round, made a spread sheet and then got my sharpies at the ready LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I did try similar but i soon got bored. I timed each job in mins. Arrive, clean, pack up, start van. I then times the minutes by 0.66p and then i was working out if the house was under priced or not. It did show up some howlers lol. Maybe why i stopped haha.
Printed off my first main round, made a spread sheet and then got my sharpies at the ready LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Why 66p Damo?

Where are you located? Would £1 a minute be too much?
I dare say you could build a round which achieves that in this area. Bedfordshire.

For example i picked up a £12 house last week. She had 7 leaflets that week with prices on and quotes. Ranging from £10 - £14. That's new build pricing. Even man and his dog is after new builds so you can't go in at crazy prices.

I go onto my new build rounds and earn a good hourly rate. 1 man, 2 man, 3 man team. Still all do well.

My business model is 99% - 99.9% different to most window cleaners in the UK GUARANTEED.

Hourly rate I want to achieve.
So if a job takes 10 mins start to finish it needs to be 6.66£
Wolud you not have a minimum of say £10 for exmple just for starting the vam?

Also will customer attitude play a part in price increase descision? I am always happy to let those that make a cupper stay a little cheaper but those that want to act lord of the mannor can pay for the privilage! /emoticons/smile.png

Back